Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Snowdonia route advice please
  • MattF

Heading to Snowdonia this weekend. Riding Snowdon on one day probably up Llanberis and down Rangers and back down Telegraph Pass to Llanberis.

If we’re feeling particularly energetic we might continue to the bottom of the Rangers, turn left and climb Rhyd Ddu and return to Llanberis down the Llanberis path.

However…

Can anyone suggest any other great routes in the area?

Not really interested in Penmachno, Marin, Coed y Brenin, etc so looking for some advice from people in the know.

rhysw
    Free Member

You could go down to Machynlleth and ride the Mach loops for some xc or head up Cader Idris for a tech decent from the top

ianwilly
    Free Member

Where do i start…. There is loads to do around here but here are a couple of my routes that you can look at and you could link some stuff up. I don’t tend to bother with snowdon to the top as its too busy for me.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/156884325 Mostly for the Beddgelert / Cwm Penant route, go from the Forrest side.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/155457838 This can be added to the above if you are feeling healthy… This brings you up the telegraph.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/82494500 Good for a quick play, or can be added to above…

There is some good stuff above Llanberis above electric mountain in the quarry, more up and back though. Through the trees behind the lake railway, you can ride it by road through Deniolen.

There is some good riding between the Marin and Penmachno if you are after something extra to add on to either.

Have fun…

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Wow, climbing Snowdon twice in a day would be big. Rhyd Ddu would be a very tech descent, must be pretty much a 100% push up?

Cadair Idris is good, but a case of after the lord mayors show maybe?

Capel Curig north towards Ogwen on the old coach track, turn right over the A5 and climb up to that lake with the unpronouncable name, drop down to Tredriw, back up to the more easterly of the 2 lakes, along the shore, climb up again and join a fun descent to Capel Curig. Sorry, bad description but good ride.

Pont Scethin is a good day out too.

There must be loads more, but you never hear as much about natural riding in Snowdonia as you do for the Lakes – dominated by the trail centres I guess

joao3v16
    Free Member

Man alive, I wouldn’t fancy the ride push up Rhyd Ddu … 🙂

simon1975
    MadBillMcMad

We did a clockwise loop parking on the A5 & going past this lake and then back over via here.

Good cafe in Trefriw.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

is there an alternative to the road descent to Trefriw? That bit wasnt so good.

whytetrash

agentdagnamit …that lake with the easy name 😉 is pronounced “cow-lid” and agree the killer loop that takes in the singletrack along its bank would be an ideal ride that’s easy to navigate

MattF

Thanks all for suggestions. Will take a look…

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Oops, sorry, esp if you’re Welsh (I am, partly…)

The unpronouncable name I was thinking of is “Trawsfynydd”, different lake entirely (and probably not as hard to say as to remember)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Snowdonia route advice please’ is closed to new replies.