Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Snowdon
  • ciderman
    Free Member

Has anyone braved the mighty snowdon on a set of wheels and have any tips, routes etc?

Junkyard
    Free Member

llanberis up rangers down with right turn before the zig zags that is easy to miss – reach the zig zags then go back up and you will see it.
    http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=257283&y=355322&z=120&sv=257283,355322&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=703&ax=257283&ay=355322&lm=0

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Junkyard speaks the truth…

[video]http://vimeo.com/6818036[/video]

highclimber
    Free Member

do it before or after the crowds arrive/leave as per the voluntary agreement.

ahsf
    Free Member

TIP: check the mountain weather MWIS.com( -29 an very icy but good fun on the decent)

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/6037040/

Pook

scott – that is a fine fine video. Bravo sir.

ciderman
    Free Member

I heard that we can only ride it out of season? Does anyone know what the dates are? And also recommend any local public houses for a decent pie and chips at the bottom!!!

ciderman
    Free Member

Brilliant, cheers carlos!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Interesting cut on that video – You seem to have cut out all the interesting and difficult stuff – Must have been walking?

inigomontoya
    Free Member

For food forget public houses, you want Pete’s Eats, legendary fry ups.

16stonepig
    Free Member

Smashing descent down Rangers. One of my favourite days’ riding ever.

Nonsense
    Free Member

I just did it on Wednesday. Went up Llanberis path and came down Rangers. Although went down zig-zags through stupidity (although worked out ok as we cycled straight back to Beddgelert). Be prepared to do a fair bit of pushing/carrying on the ups. Make sure you take pads for the descent and check your brake pads too for that matter. It’s very rocky going down the Ranger and you can pick up speed very quickly on bits of it. We had fantastic weather. Started at 6am and off the mountain well before 10am.

robob
    Free Member

do you have to be a cycling god to appreciate this ride? thinking of attacking it in october and the group i have in mind ride scottish trail centres and lakes type stuff with no real problems.

thanks.

saxabar
    Free Member

@rob – not at all. The ride up has more to do with lung capacity and the size of bike you are riding than anything else. The descent is 80% doable by all with the rest requiring a bit more thought/speed. Nowt wrong with the less confident walking bits.

flyingmonkeycorps

Nah, I rode it and I’m far from a riding god. There were a couple of sections on the descent I walked, after having a go at – just couldn’t quite nail the line in the wet.

Main thing it to keep speed in check, especially on the loose section at the top – it’s not like a trailcentre where the trail is cleverly designed to keep you from going too fast, you could very easily get out of control and find yourself sliding down loose shale on your arse.

The singletrack down Telegraph Valley was a nice end to the ride too – superfast with waterbars to hop, though be careful you don’t mistime a top on the most awkwardly angled waterbar and end up sideways across the trail whilst your riding buddy desperately tries to stop…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I did it yesterday. Up and down Llanberis by 10am.

Top tip… make sure your pump doesn’t break so that you don’t have to ride the bottom half of the descent with 3 ruined innertubes for cushioning…

flyingmonkeycorps

Out of curiosity, why Llanberis and not Rangers? I’ve done both, and MUCH preferred Rangers

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

The lad I was with has done them both before and I think he was feeling a little tired from the days riding before so wanted the shortest day possible. Sounds like I need to go back!

We were staying at http://www.gallt-y-glyn.co.uk/ in Llanberis, highly recomended if you want decent ale, the best pizza (EVER) and cheap accomodation.

flyingmonkeycorps

Hahaha, fair enough! I’d definitely go back for the Rangers… I found the Llanberis fun, but pretty much a motorway all the way down – the Rangers is much tighter and techier towards the bottom, and loose as at the top!

Junkyard
    Free Member

thinking of attacking it in october and the group i have in mind ride scottish trail centres and lakes type stuff with no real problems.

you will be fine as you can get off and walk
    Top part is loose shale type stuff so amusing when you try to corner!
    mid bit steeper/more technical
    Bottom those water bars
    Your group will be fine as long a sit is dry and good visibility.77

TSY yer mate needs a kick up the rear for not doing the rangers with you – far superior to Llanberis

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

🙁 Added to the fact I had three punctures, I am sorely dissapointed now.

flyingmonkeycorps

Yeah we had some comedy offs on the shale, in the wet.

For reference, the Rangers path goes left off the Llanberis path at the finger stone at the top of the Pyg / Miners track – on my OS it shows it branching off a bit further down and we missed it in the cloud!

**edit** TSY – gives you the excuse to do it again, and it’s always good to compare!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Snowdon’ is closed to new replies.