Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • Snowdon
  • gravitysucks
    Free Member

Fast approaching the end of Sept and the end of the Voluntary ban until spring so its time to think about that ride up snowdon.

Anyone done it before? Is it really worth it?

Moe

I met a guys back in April heading up the top of the Llanberis path to head down the Warden path, when I suggested perhaps Thetford Forest would be easier he looked quite wistful! Seriously though he was very enthusiastic about it and almost sold it to me!

DavidB
    Free Member

I've done it, dressed as a gorilla.

It is certainly worth the "tick" especially on a clear day with great views. I did the Llanberis path up and down, but if I did it again would consider the Ranger path

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes I am going the day the ban lifts. 2 hours ish up [hike a bike for all but liars] and hour + fun down the rangers with slight hike a bike over to avoid zig zags which are ace but a push back up. Excellent epic ride and more than just ticking it off the list like others.
    GO. Ignore this if you prefer Trail centres

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Yeh it been on my tick list for a while. Was thinking of this route to take it all in. 2 stops at the cafe can;t be a bad thing and after the ban we'd have all day to take it in so could be good one.

Anyone know if the pyg track is doable / worthwhile? Haven;t been up there in years but from memory after the 1st 100m or so I seem to remember it being pretty rolling. could be naff memory though!

RepacK
    Free Member

Thats the route Ive got my eye on too gravity.. 😉

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

yes I am going the day the ban lifts.

Me too Junkyard,
    Day booked off work and accomodation sorted for the weekend.
    Friday the 1st we'll do Snowdon. Early morning start.

Llanberis or Rangers ? – jury's still out on that.

Now all we need is half-decent weather.

fadda

GS – I walked the Pyg track in June, and wouldn't think it was rideable in any way!

gravitysucks
    Free Member

lol so my memory if naff then!

http://www.flattyresmtbroutes.com/SnowdonTwinPeaks.html

heres the link with descriptions to the map above. He finishes saying he's done the route the other way round.. up llanberis –> down Rhyd Ddu –> up rangers –> down Llanberis. Seemed to think this was a better option.

Would have been up 1st weekend but My bro's getting married that weekend the inconsiderate so and so

Trimix
    Free Member

The Rangers looks fantastic – walked it the other weekend. Met two guys coming down the Rhyd Ddu who said that was also almost as good as the Rangers as a descent.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Fadda – you reckon it would be ridable as a descent?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

heres the link with descriptions to the map above. He finishes saying he's done the route the other way round.. up llanberis –> down Rhyd Ddu –> up rangers –> down Llanberis. Seemed to think this was a better option.

Thanks for the linky Gravity, I think we'll give that route a go.
    Probably in reverse.

PaulMc
    Free Member

The Pyg track is a footpath, not a bridleway. Riding 'cheeky' on Snowdon would not be a good idea.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Ahh that'll be why no one mentions the phg track then!

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Anyone ever bivvyed up snowdon? I can think of a couple of nice spots to chill out up there

Kevevs
    Free Member

do you like pushing your bike? cos it's a lot of pushing. Fun on the way down 🙂

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Yeah if the weather conditions are half decent, do it.

Surprising amount of the uphill on Llanberis path is ridable. Between the halfway house and the railway arch there is a staircase to be pushed up – was amusing coming back down this. After the arch is very steep but climbable if you are strong – about 2 hours up in total. The descent of Llanberis was fun and you have the benefit of having seen what is coming. But I'm told Rangers plus Telegraph is much better so will do that next time. There is a lot of rock to hit if you get carried away – I had an off not far down from the summit – so consider some basic pads IMO. And make sure you brakes are in tip-top – I boiled mine trying to slow down on the steep/loose section down to the railway arch!

Stuuey

Did the route along the railway line from Llanberis last year. Quiet a bit of pushing on the second half. Took 17 mins to get down, including sorting a puncture.
    Don't underestimate the weather difference on the top.
    I remember one section of steps started to be annoying after a few hundred yards of it.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Isn't Rhyd Ddu a bridleway too? Anyone ridden it? Not ridden Snowdon but I've walked most of the routes and I reckon Rhyd Ddu would be an absolute hoot on a bike, if only for that first ridge section.

Stuuey

Agree with everything buzz says.

What have other people experienced? After doing Ben Nevis during the day I wouldn't recommend doing any popular mountain when walkers are out. They see you coming and don't move, I think its the shock of seeing someone on a bike and on the way up you get stupid questions and comments off everyone.
    Normally try and get to the top for first light or in summer leave around 5.

ed80
    Free Member

Like Stuuey says, it'll still be busy even though there's no ban so it could be worth going early anyway. My choice would be up llanberis and down the rangers trail. There's a map and gpx file here:

http://www.rideinfo.co.uk/ride.php?id=34

futuresorange
    Free Member

I was going to break my forum virginity on this very same topic, oh well nevermind! 😥

Myself and a couple of friends are planning to attempt it in a couple of weeks, unfortunately before the voluntary ban finishes so i'm sure that'll make it interesting?!

Andyhilton
    Free Member

Done it twice. It's excellent. DO IT!

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

We did it at the end of September last year:

Up Llanberis and down the Rangers:

Well worth it. But seriously, who rides up? Push…

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"17 mins " wow that seems quick. I think I took at least 25 mins, that including a couple of stops to let my brakes cool and have a chat with someone. So lets assume 7 mins for the puncture, you dropped ~3000ft vert in 10 mins – coo.

Seriously, if you have a trail bike, most of it up to the base of the staircase will ride. Mine's is a 30lb FS and I'm not a quick cyclist. Did mine after 5pm in May.

DavidB
    Free Member

17 mins is doable on Llanberis path. I was down in 15-17mins and I'm jey as ****

Unofficial record is 9

zokes
    Free Member

unfortunately before the voluntary ban finishes so i'm sure that'll make it interesting?!

Interesting as in having to go after 5pm or before 10 am and it might be a bit dark if you take too long; or interesting because you're a complete and utter fcukwit for wanting to disrespect a very hard-won arrangement? Same goes for the moron up there wondering about riding a footpath (P.Y.G. track). Put simply: DON'T.

Snowdon has been a candidate to have all cycle access revoked for years. That agreement allowing limited access was very difficult to obtain. Having spoken to the rangers on many an occasion, they seem totally bemused as to why cyclists want to be up there when me have purpose-built trails. Unfortunately, most policy makers are inclined to agree with them. Seeing as it is in a national park, it would actually be a criminal, not a civil offence to ride there if they decided an outright ban. Given its high profile, and the lack of real crime in Gwynedd, I'm sure a couple of bobbies would enjoy a few bike confiscations to make the point…

As someone who rode it on a mid-summer saturday before the voluntary ban was arranged, I can confirm it's no fun for anyone. Time shifting access between walkers and cyclists seems to have worked quite well the many times I've ridden it since then; with the few walkers left actually cheering us on for the most part…

Stuuey

My mate got the puncture just before the railway arch. At that point the brakes did pong a bit and probably benefited from the stop.
    9min record hmmmmmm….should I have another go?

Don't tell the wife!

Edit: was riding a 04 Enduro, usual 5 inch rear travel when I did it the first time. Tyre choice is key as you don't want them sliding under braking. Unfortunately I used conti gravities which they have discontinued.

Stuuey

Agree with Zokes. The people who get upset when asked "why do you climb a mountain just to walk back down?" Don't understand why we want to do it.

Stick to the agreed times so our kids can ride it too! And you're more likely to have a clear run.

oxnop
    Free Member

Yep it's amazing on a clear day (and in the snow 8) )

If you only do it once you need to come down rangers and then into telegraph valley (as in the diagram above)

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

Up Llanberis and down Rangers is definitely the best option.

Rangers is one of the best trails in the UK (imho!). Just awesome – fast and furious at the top with loads of nice little rocks etc to jump off, then slow and a proper techy challenge toward the bottom.

I have also been up Rhyd Du and down Rangers…but I wouldn't recommend it unless you particularly want a proper hike-a-bike across a rather perched ridgeline. I wouldn't do the Rhyd Du route if it was particularly icy/windy either as there is a falling risk.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

B00l0x I want to go do Ranger's Path right now!

futuresorange
    Free Member

Actually zokes it's because we are planning to go up and down before the ban starts but thanks for calling me a complete and utter fukwit before you've even bothered to find out what i meant! Frankly i think you've nicely shown who the fukwit is!

lowey

Rangers = Probably one of the best legal descents in the UK. Enjoy.

Staircase

DSC02713 by lowey.com, on Flickr

Whiskey and coffee

DSC02718 by lowey.com, on Flickr

Rangers

snowden 025 by lowey.com, on Flickr

lowey

Great Vid Scott.

Edric64
    Free Member

What is the best time up and down anyone has done the Llanberis route?
    The running race record is 62 minutes!!

Moe

Zokes, It's also pretty obvious the person you refer to as a 'moron' did not know what status the Pyg path has and as soon as that fact was made clear accepted it.

So as futuresorange points out ……..

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Cheers for the back up Moe, as said I mentioned the Pyg track not knowing it was a footpath and never made any reference to wanting or intending to ride after being given the facts.

Zokes Fukwit it helps when you actually read a post before slagging people off. Your point though was probably valid but i'm afaid I stopped reading it after it became clear you were a bellend.

snaps
    Free Member
    futuresorange
    Free Member

😆 @ gravitysucks

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Snowdon’ is closed to new replies.