Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Snow drivin' freak you out?
  • phatstanley
    Free Member

if it does, do what we did growing up back over in Canuckia:

find a deserted snow/ice-covered parking lot and practice skidding out using the handbrake and learning how your car responds to steering into the skid (i.e. say your back wheels skid out to the left, you steer that way and don’t brake…just slight acceleration, if anything).

getting this down until it’s done without thinking is the goal so that if ya gotta do it in anger…..ya just do it.

apparently getting caught by the fuzz could cost ya points….

this PSA will self-destruct in 30 seconds. 😀

samuri
    Free Member

I’m fairly disappointed that we, in the North West, really haven’t had that much snow despite traditionally being the people who get the most. Send it in please. Then I can cycle in through 12 inches of the stuff, be the only person in work and sit around in my underpants drinking beer.

Just like at home.

j_me
    Free Member

Thing is, it’s not usually MY driving in the snow that freaks me out!

OrangeLad
    Free Member

yeah it did early this week driving a 350bhp Lotus very twitchy indeed.

Taff
    Free Member

I’m not to bad driving myself. Don’t have a major amount of snow and ice experience but to try to get out on it if obly to practice. I did do a few controlled handebrake assisted slides on compacted snow and was quite chuffed that I was able to keep ‘in control’. As said above I’m more worried about other peoples abilities on the road I’ve found that in the past few days pedestrians have just been stupid. A woman was pushing a pram down the road yesterday making cas go around. was a bit cross at work mates yesterday who didn’t even attempt the commute. I had 6-7inches and roads uncleared they had 2-3inches and a third of the distance and don’t want to risk it. Seems stupid people don’t try especially if the roads are definately going to be quiet

Grimy
    Free Member

I went karting with some work colleagues last friday that we booked before the bad weather set in. It was outside on three sisters race track in wigan, in 70mph twin engined karts, at 6.30pm, in the dark and a frosty -4C, with Slicks! It was quite frankly insane, but bloody great fun! Bit like playing in an empty car park, but much much faster and on retrospect quite dangerous. 😛

chiefgrooveguru

I love driving in the snow! But when you live somewhere hilly the risk of gravity dominating your efforts is disappointingly high, hence the car hasn’t moved for days…

BadlyWiredDog

Seems stupid people don’t try especially if the roads are definately going to be quiet

Yes, I urge everyone to get out in their cars now. No excuses, let’s plaster the roads with crashed vehicles and crushed prams…

phatstanley
    Free Member

Dunno what it ‘s like where you all live, but here in Edinburgh, there are loads of seemingly abandoned cars.
    Cars that – until now – have probably been turning over and getting used on a daily basis.

Gonna be a serious “run” on batteries and jumper cables eventually.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“practice skidding “

Yes was experimenting with my ABS yesterday on a deserted snowy road up on the Mendip. Very interesting effects and quite difficult to completely lose traction and go for full slide, it’s that effective.

We also had fun in my mate’s transit, being rear-wheel drive with all the weight at the front, it’s slidey-tastic. We then got stuck in the car park, until I climbed into the loading bay and stood over the rear axle – it gripped and we escaped.

I’ll grow up one day 😛

brakes
    Free Member

when I was learning to drive we had some snow and my driving instructor took me to an industrial estate and taught me how NOT to drive in the snow – best driving lesson ever – top lad

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

ABS is absolutely guff in the snow though…

aracer
    Free Member

All very well learning how to skid, but what you want to do is not skid, which sliding round a car park won’t actually teach you.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Snow drivin' freak you out?’ is closed to new replies.