Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Snails are ace
  • bazookajoe
    Free Member

Sally’s bout 8 months now and coming along nicely. Feb break, kids off, so me and No.2 just cleaned her out and she enjoyed her shower under the tap.

This afternoon we shall make beer

Rubber_Buccaneer

I tried them once. They were OK but I couldn’t eat one that big 🙂

GregMay
    Free Member

That is a very small child.

z1ppy

Wow? Go on, give us some more details…
    How much room do they need, how long do the live, how tasty are they…. 😈

bazookajoe
    Free Member

They’re simple to keep, no expert or special care needed. What little we know is what’s been found from a quick google on Giant African Land Snails.

Sally lives in a plastic tank thingy that cost around £15 and measures around 18 inches by 8 inches and 12 inches high, though you could just as easy use a big tub. Good layer of compost or coconut substrate stuff kept moist. Her shell’s about 4 inches now (though when we got her last June for No.2’s birthday she was only about 1cm) and they can live up to 10 years. Sally likes cucumber, lettuce and watermelon though isn’t fussed with strawberries. Cuttlefish bone for calcium for the shell

As long as they’re warm, they’re fine. Happy being handled and Sally likes dunking her head under warm water from a tap.

We wouldn’t eat her though

bazookajoe
    Free Member

Showertime

neilthewheel

Just a slug with a mortgage.

roper
    Free Member

Ooohh Great!!!
    Lovely little (big)things. Fantastic pets too. Quite relaxing to watch.
    Bugs as pets are a slipper slope to obsessiveness though.
    Giant millipede anyone?

druidh
    Free Member

I used to race snails. I had a favourite, but it was always losing. I thought it would go faster if I painted it black and remove its shell.
    But it just made it more sluggish.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Snails are ace’ is closed to new replies.