Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Smelly Gore Softshell
  • fathomer

I have a Gore Phantom that currently stinks in the arm pit region, even when freshly washed.

Any advice on getting rid of the smell without damaging the fabric?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

your name maybe a clue 😉

mafiafish
    Free Member

Douse with cheap gin.

amsterdan
    Free Member

Halo sports wash then wash with whatever you normally use

fathomer

Oscillate Wildly – Member
    your name maybe a clue

Wondered how long it’d take!

I am actually pretty slim, so not that.

Bez

Maybe he was saying that you ought to be able to fathom it out, what with being a fathomer.

Anyway. I’ve got two Gore Phantoms and neither have smelly pits, if that helps eliminate one of the variables 🙂

Febreze?

JPcapel
    Free Member

Mine did this, albeit when cleaned it would smell fine, but after 1 ride the funk of my worst arm pit smells would return.

Helly Hansen fabric use to be called Smelly Hansen by my LBS due to it having similar properties.

I cleaned mine then sold it to solve the problem.

I now use an Endura jacket, which whilst not as good does not smell so wins in my book.

Sorry to have no actual factual explanation for the Gore-smelly-arm-pit-syndrome. I suspect I used fabric conditioner when cleaning my Gore jacket which Gore says not to use, suspect something happened as a result.

makeitorange
    Free Member

You haven’t mentioned what you used to wash it? I assume it needs a special detergent for the waterproofing? I found with some of my Jackets if I use the Nikwak liquid that everybody recommends they still came out a bit smelly, but the Granger’s technical wash is a lot better.

coopersport1
    Free Member

+1 for Halo Sports wash, I was all my riding kit in it now, no smells anymore

fathomer

Bez – Member

Maybe he was saying that you ought to be able to fathom it out, what with being a fathomer.Didn’t get that!

Anyway, thanks for all the responses. I’ve washed it using Tesco’s non-bio liquid and dissolved soap flakes, didn’t make much difference. I’ll give the Halo stuff ago.

shortcut

Vanish Antibacterial should sort it.

iainc

Anyone seen the halo stuff apart from at Amazon where it is £4 delivery ?

FuzzyWuzzy

Wiggle sell it, Tesco also have it in from time to time (although annoyingly not for a few weeks in my local store as mine’s about to run out).

radar
    Free Member

Had this explained by the Nikwax/Paramo rep a few weeks back. Something to do with wicking. Solution(s) – read care instructions to help make a choice. Dry clean then reproof. Or biowash, pure soap wash,then re proof. Thermals which after a while get stinky – bio, then Nikwax basewash. Had some sample of basewash – seems to work. (If you do the nikwax competition the prize is a sample of basewash iirc)

Frankers
    Free Member

Douse or spray the pit area in white vinegar, then was as normal

Go to http://www.dripak.co.uk and follow tips link for more info

I had the same problem with my Phantom N2S jackets

iainc

Wiggle sell it,

– thanks, just ordered some

coopersport1
    Free Member

My local Tesco always has Halo in big bottles

Rio

Anyone seen the halo stuff apart from at Amazon

Sainsburys sell it. Tesco used to do it but seem to have stopped; I emailed the manufacturer to ask why but didn’t get a response (maybe I should have asked Tesco).

DM52
    Free Member

Halo emailed a news letter about this, basically Tesco produced their own product as competition and pressured Halo into either committing to more promotions / money off or face their product being removed from the shelves.

FuzzyWuzzy

Ah that explains why it’s not been in my local Tesco for a while, can’t say I noticed a Tesco-own equivalent, I guess it’s this though? http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=275281619

Might check it out as can’t read the detail from the pic

Also worth getting Halo sachets if you go away on biking holidays, works great when hand-washing clothes if you need to.

njee20
    Free Member

I use the Assos ActiveWear Cleanser (or something). It’s excellent, although probably no better than the Halo one. Not hugely expensive, sorted out a couple of stinky base layers I had.

fathomer

Well I ordered some Halo from Wiggle last night, so we’ll see how it goes next week.

tonyd

An occasional and good soak in bi-carbonate of soda does the trick on my smelly running/riding gear, although it does make the reflective bits go a bit funny. Usually followed by a hot wash.

This gets the whiff out of even the smelliest of hellys, wouldn’t use it on anything that might need reproofing though (not sure why, just paranoid).

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Smelly Gore Softshell’ is closed to new replies.