Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Small running milestone
  • Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Been running for the last two years and done a few races but all off road – never timed a road/flat run.

So ran up the Camel Trail (flat but slightly gravelly in places) using my GPS to get to exactly 5km then ran back – so 10km and managed to break the 40 min mark – 39m30s.

Best previous time was an off road race where I got 42m18s.

Think I could do better in race conditions as I always push it harder but nice to have busted through the 40 min barrier!

The dog ran well too!

nickc

Cool. Nicely done. Got a hilly 10k here, and 42 is about my fastest ever time. Did a 39.50 something a couple of weeks ago on the flat one, but it's a once-in-blue-moon-feeling-like-hurting kinda thing…

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Nickc – sounds like we are similar!

I do push a lot harder in races – "not being able to walk properly for 2-3 days" type of stuff. Was fine yesterday (the day after) and did a quick MTB blast without issues.

It was a bit tedious TBH – definitely prefer off road running!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Having recently forced myself to get back out plodding, I just broke a milestone tonight, actually ran to the summit of Ilkley Moor, not jogged, 6 mile round trip at a decent pace (I like to think). Not sure of the time, but definitely under 60 mins (I used to be able to do it in just under 50mins).

molgrips
    Free Member

Running 10km full stop was a milestone for me. Still only done it once.

Cougar

I've done the Manchester 10k a few times, usually around an hour and I thought I wsa doing well.

So, er, bugger.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I wouldn't worry Cougar. In the company of superhumans and all that…

nickc

Hardly superhumans… Average-good club runners should be getting 35 on a 10k run (hills or no) and properly good national/regional times should be easily sub 30.

my 39 mins was a absolutely flat out as fast as I could, wobbly legged no running for the rest of week kinda gig…I'll not be rushing to wear my pants outside my trousers

aracer
    Free Member

Average-good club runners should be getting 35 on a 10k run

Sub 35 would make you a very good club runner, and get you top 5 placings in fish and chipper 10k races (last time I ran one I got top 10 with a 38).

Keva
    Free Member

41:53 my best acurately timed cross country 10k, two yrs ago.

reckon I could knock 2mins off that on a flat road run. I ran a measured 6.8k xc run on Sunday in 48mins so still have more to give.

40min 10k generally gets top 10% position. I usually come 20 something out of a couple of hundred runners.

Kev

tails
    Free Member

Kenenisa Bekele of Ethiopia in 26:17.53 (22.96 km/h) in Brussels, Belgium, set on August 26, 2005 😯

It takes me only a few mins less to do 5k.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yeah, sub 40 is damn good. Stop being so modest for once.

lookmanohands
    Free Member

I only managed to just sneak under the hour on Sunday for 10k but I guess with nearly 1500ft of climbing offroad and running in vff's that's not too bad…….is it 😀

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

So hard to judge times on off road races – I find the distance is usually over 10k too. Sometimes even 11k!

Got 5/700, 5/120, 10/170, 15/150 and other fairly good placings in off road races but times have varied from 42 mins to 50ish depending on how severe the terrain is. 49mins got me 5/120 on one race – it was like a fell run and apparently about 11.2km.

This was only a little tester just to try and break the 40m barrier. Will get working on better times now.

nickc

My times are for road/pavement running. I don't time myself off road

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Awesome.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

nick – nor do I, the race organisers do!

nickc

Don't race. Putting a number on a shirt and running with a whole bunch of other sweaty men is anathema to why I run.

DD thanks, are you trying to chat me up?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

nick – I don't do many – done about 10 in total over threeish years. Just nice to give it a go every now and again. I always push harder in races too – but end up totalled for a few days afterwards!

Don't do any club running though – mostly run on my own with the dog.

Keva
    Free Member

Surf Mat… Five Milers are good to do as well, tend to be run that little bit quicker than the 10k meaning it's even easier to over cook the pace at the start if you're not too careful, especially if there's a few big hills to get up.. 🙂

Kev

nickc

Just did 41:17 for the hilly (aka normal) run. Very very happy. **** but happy

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Nice one nic! Assume 10k?

Got some Salomon Speedcross 2s after having major issues with my Inov8 Roclites (sent them back). Utterly brilliant super lightweight trail running shoes that don't half cripple you.

molgrips
    Free Member

Talking of milestones, I've got a 5 mile fun run to do in late November. It's dead flat, and I'm gonna bust a gut to beat 40 mins. Bear in mind last year was 52 mins…

nickc

Aye, 10k. Front split was fast, just went for it..

Thanks

nickc

Go for it grips!

molgrips
    Free Member

I can probably run two or at most three 8 min miles, currently… 😕

nickc

Splits are your friend. Couple of fast miles to start, couple of easy miles, bust a gut on the last one…

finbar
    Free Member

Hardly superhumans… Average-good club runners should be getting 35 on a 10k run (hills or no) and properly good national/regional times should be easily sub 30.

Absolutely. In 1985.

Haze

Best I ever managed was my first ever race – 6k in 28 mins.

Everything else has been bloody steep though!

molgrips
    Free Member

I got overtaken last time by a woman pushing a kid in a pushchair. And chatting to him…

simon_g

I've done the Manchester 10k a few times, usually around an hour and I thought I wsa doing well.

So, er, bugger.

I've got a 10k coming up and will be very happy to break an hour. Doing 5k in 30 felt like a big milestone.

Did a half marathon nearly 2 years ago. Got overtaken by a guy running in costume with an enormous head – thought "I'll keep up with him no problem" but within a k or two he was gone. I ended up keeping pace with a guy who was 78 according to his t-shirt.

crazy-legs

Used to do the 10km steeplechase at school which I loved (always been OK at enduro type stuff and rubbish at sprinting). Top 5 in that were all under 37 minutes. I was 3rd with a short 36, winner (county standard runner) did 34 something.
    I tried getting back into running at uni, never got below a 37 again though. 🙁

molgrips
    Free Member

I did the 200m in 25 seconds age 15, and 100m in 11.5

Jamie
    Free Member

I went for my first run in about 3 months tonight….**** awful 10k in 50 mins 😡 ….usually 43ish mins off road.

…and foot still hurts. Wish I had broken my foot rather than have tendon probs.

Anyways, entering this as something to hopefully aim/be fit for:

http://www.sheffield10k.com/sheffield_10k.html

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I've just sent entry forms off for a couple of tris in September – absolutely loving open water swimming at the moment – both of them have sea swims.

Both shortish runs – road but hilly.

molgrips
    Free Member

I wish someone would do real sprint tris. Like, sprint 400m, swim 2 lengths, sprint 400m to your bike and ride 3km.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Mol – 😆

These are 800m(ish) sea swims, 12 mile (ish) road rides and 3-4 miles road runs.

molgrips
    Free Member

That's what I mean. A 3 mile road run is so not a sprint..!

Cougar

When I was doing the 10k this year, I'd get overtaken by some slip of a girl and tell myself "well, ok, she's obviously fitter than me, built more for it, fair play" and then Pink Panther and Batman would come sprinting past. Barstewards.

nickc

Ok I'm pretty certain Batman runs a mean 10, but the pink panther? That's gotta hurt.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Small running milestone’ is closed to new replies.