Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • small Ribs and the engines…
  • millzy
    Free Member

ok… ive had a fair bit of experience with this before and im pretty sure itl be fine,..

but i just want your guys opinions,

i have a 10hp engine and am looking for a rib to go with it, the only boat can find at the moment, looks identical to my other rib but says the limit for the boat is 8hp(my other rib has 15hp on it). will it be ok if i put the 8hp engine on the rib or will i die?!

deadslow

Surely more is better…what could possibly go wrong?

jam-bo

Surely more is better…what could possibly go wrong?

You’ll rip the transom off, the engine will sink and you’ll drift for months living off rainwater and rats.

moe_szyslak
    Free Member

I think the ratings refer to long-term use (think tyre speed ratings), I don’t think you will encounter any real problems.

That said it probably not a great idea to give it full throttle all the time, but you should be fine.

sharkbait
    Free Member

You’ll rip the transom off, the engine will sink and you’ll drift for months living off rainwater and rats.

There’s rats in the sea???

You’ll undoubtedly die but you’ll go with a smile on your face 🙂

db

Dare I say it will cause problems with insurance? No it will not do huge damage unless you are full on all the time. BUT if you hit something some bright spark will say engine was too big.

(But don’t know if you have insurance…)

Milkie
    Free Member

I remember having a dingy with a 12HP engine in it, but it had some DIY strengthening, max was 8HP. I still cannot believe how fast it could fly! Good times!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘small Ribs and the engines…’ is closed to new replies.