Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • small h/t or f/s for wife
  • xcentric
    Free Member

wanting to persuade the wife gently into mountain biking (though initially my thoughts are that she can tow the kids around a trail centre’s green routes whilst I ride the others, until they’re old enough to ride themselves :-)) – but what’s suitable? She’s 5’3″, with 28″ inside leg, and a dodgy back and knees so a comfortable setup is important.

Happy to buy new or (better) s/h, but smaller frames are less common. Any thoughts? Any good offers around?

matt_outandabout

What kind of budget?

mrs_oab really enjoyed a light, comfortable bike that FITTED…get your wife to try some out and decide…

mrs_oab has the smallest Canondale possible, it was a bargain off here second hand after much searching (£250)

(5′ here, 12.5″/XS frame)

xcentric
    Free Member

budget is flexible, tbh. up to £1k, though cheaper is better as she may not like it. The times she’s tried so far she’s had fun but fallen off (mind you, one was in south Africa, and she hit elephant s**t, which was dried rock hard, and the other was after too much cava…..)

colournoise

Was in the same position a couple of years ago. Went for a 15 inch Specialized Hardrock (Zoe is also about 5’3″ with a 28″/29″ inside leg). Only cost about 400 quid new IIRC but Zoe ended up loving biking and we have since upgraded everything except the frame, stem, seatpost and bars. Cracking little frame that’s way better than the OEM kit it comes finished with.

This is an older photo (it now has better wheels, disks and an uprated 2×9 drivetrain).

slainte 😀 rob

the_lecht_rocks

Mrs tlr rides a small Santa Cruz Juliana, bargain off the classifieds on here, with lots of my drivetrain cast offs.. loves it. EBay is your friend…

Bunnyhop

Agree that an fs would be more comfortable for her back.

Second hand is definitely worth thinking about, then if she really gets into mtbing, then sell and get new.

I’ve had a stumpjumper, Juliana and now onto a Turner Flux. Out of the 3 the Turner is my favourite, however I’m a better rider now. So the Juliana is a great all round bike for her height and to get her into the sport proper.

yunki
    Free Member

I’m in almost exactly the same position as the OP.. Mrs Yunki has decided that if she can’t beat ’em.. join ’em..

She’s also wanting a regular exercise regime to help recover after pooping out yunki Jr MkII next month..
    She can ride a bike but wants to build fitness and confidence and skills so we’ll be starting at the beginning with lots of family trail centre rides and trailering round the woods etc..

We picked up a second hand entry level hardtail from ebay (Kona Firemountain) which I am making as light and as comfy as I can as reasonably as possible.. that way if it only gets taken out the shed a dozen times per year it’s no problem but if she gets into we can build it up to suit her needs as we go..

FWIW I’ve been riding over 25 years and still haven’t found a need for a full sus..

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘small h/t or f/s for wife’ is closed to new replies.