Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Small businesses and the Banks
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Has anyone running their own business had any help at all, as part of their commitment to lend?

Thought I was onto a winner with a local authority schools contract that I won, but no.
    It’s not that I rely on the banks, but the contract came sooner than expected and I’ve poured everything and more into this to get my business right back into profit.
    In fact I’ve put so much into it I couldn’t raise £18 to make sure a cheque clears, I don’t have an overdraft and the bank has today refused to give me one for £20!!!!
    Needless to say I shall be banking with my feet if this is all they can offer me, I certainly do not want to pour the profits of my work into their bank.
    Am I alone on this?

Quote;

You need to manage your casflow within the limit. If there are sufficient funds available when items are presented for payment then items will be paid, if not they will be returned unpaid.

I am sorry that I can not be of anymore help.

Kind regards

Stoner
    Free Member

I would hazard a guess that your banking relationship is specific to your case. Didnt your business recently suffer badly from a contract problem? Insolvency? If your banking relationship is genuinely zero credit, then they mean it and it will be based on your unfortunate history.

Mrs S arranged a 20k overdraft for a start up company during the last 9 months, as well as made good use of inexpensive (local govt sponsored I think) factoring assistance on a contract.

Your credit capacity wont improve until you can show a healthy track record in cashflow management, whether thats £20k or £20 in the red.

oldgit
    Free Member

That’s right. I factored my invoices through this bank and four large customers went bust leaving me just shy of 100k to find.
    I found the money and avoided bankruptcy, everyone was paid within four months, obviously the bank just took their money at source.

It’s taken me a year to re build, and I’ve had no issues since. This contract is about as safe as I can get (Buckinghamshire CC) and it’s 30 days.
    I should also say this manager is new, three weeks. My previous one was superb and part of the reason I got back on my feet. Though I’ve not borrowed or do I have an overdraft, but he was at least ‘flexible’

I just thought this time I’d ticked all the boxes.

totalshell

once bitten twice shy.. if you didnt know you personally would you risk your employers money ( and your job) on you?

NZCol

Bank pulled our business overdraft same day they posted the letter to tell us. First I knew was an issue with payments, letter arrived day after of course it being sent by mail. Brilliant move by the bank and great timing first month of new financial year so little operating capital on hand at that time. Raided personal mortgage, cards etc. and sorted it out. This is a $4m turnover and highly profitable business by the way – bank utterly useless. Removed all business accounts, insurances – everything from them, they apologised but not willing to risk it again. New bank was much better and worked with us to expand and ultimately sell.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Small businesses and the Banks’ is closed to new replies.