Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Alp d'Huez & Les Deux Alpes
  • chakaping
    Free Member

We’re looking at spending the best part of a week here in the summer, would be arriving as everyone leaves from the Mega.

Which would be the better resort to be based in?

From my MTB Europe book and videos it seems les 2 alpes is more of a bikepark and alp d’Huez may be more “natural” terrain – is that right?

And what are the must-ride tracks? I’ll have a 140mm and 180mm bike and my pal will be on an Alpine 160.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

You are correct on your ideas of what the two areas are like. I went last year and was based down in the valley in the middle at bourg d’oisan i believe. I much prefered the natural alp d’huez over the braking bumps of les deux. definitely visit both though.
    At les deux get a whole run in from the very top of the mountain right down to venosc if you can, brilliant fun and of course ride the mega course top to bottom.

fatboyslo
    Free Member

Sorry but if I was going to Alp d’Huez for a biking holiday there would be only 1 MUST DO ride
    and I’d be totally cream crackered but smiling like a daft thing by the time I got to the top 😆

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

agree with both ^^. I much prefer the natural trails around Alpe d’Huez. Get yourself a VTT map from the tourist office in Bourg, or download one before you head out. There’s some cracking trails through Villard Reculas down into the valley. Also some great long distance xc route maps that I found last time I went.

chakaping
    Free Member

Thanks guys, so where’s best to stay in the area in terms of lift access and bars/restuarants – just in case we have any money left by that point.

grum
    Free Member

Do the mega quali track as well, great fun.

unstableJ
    Free Member

I like Bourg D’Oisans as a base as finishing your day with a run through the forest back down to the valley floor after a day at the resort is fantastic.

Are you in cars/vans? You’ll make more of the valley if you can shuttle up to some of the less well used trails.

Or you can always start a day with a ride up the famous hairpins! Done it a few times (do-able in sub 2 hours without killing yourself) there’s nothing more satisfying than overtaking roadies on a 6 inch travel bike with your helmet and pads strapped to your back and it makes that descent to the valley floor at the end of the day seem very well deserved!

lucien

The red route from Les 2 Alpes to Venosc is swoopy awesomeness, did it on a 160mm front / 170mm rear bike last year and on a Pitch – tyre choice more important than travel IMHO.

The Blue route from the top at Les 2 Alpes to the main Gondola or linking the red above, is a huge amount of descending in one go – and easily do-able.

Lift pass covers both resorts in any case

ianv
    Free Member

some questions from me to as i am going to be round this area with my son this summer.

what sort of driving time is it to 2 alpes from bourg d’oisans?
    is the vanosc descent steep technical or just long?
    does a lift pass for deux alpes allow the use of the vanosc and alp d’huez lifts?
    which resort would be the best base for a young kid?

thanks

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

From bourg up to either place is about 30-45 minutes as far as i remember. Although if you want to ride alpe d’huez think about parking down in Allemond, you can get the free bus up to the top of the hill.
    And for les deux park in venosc and get the gondola up to the main town.

and as unstable J says, the ride from alpe d’huez down to bourg is AMAZINGLY GOOD FUN. don’t miss that one.

lucien

IanV – yes the descent into Vanosc is steep, not very technical (swoopy bermy stuff) no drop offs, steps etc and quite a wide track in parts – just steep (as is all the stuff) – the surface was shaley, so a bit twitchy in places for me when I tried to roll it 1st off – got used to it after that, and my 14 year old went down with me on a smaller (travel) bike.

Yes, lift pass is for Vanosc, Les 2 Alpes and Alpe D’Huez – Worth asking to doupe check at whichever ticket office you go to, english was pretty much spoken although I always try my poor french 1st.

As per previous post, parking a Venosc is easier than in some parts of Les 2 Alpes, and the cable car is very quick with bike was at the bottom. There is a blue XC route along the river to Boug D’Oissons from there as well which is OK.

Having been to both resorts, I don’t really like either as an adult, neither has no charm or character. However, both my boys have been and both prefer Les 2 Alpes – flatter, 1 main drag, plenty of shops / cake shops/ couple of supermarkets, pump track, luge, walking, swimming pool.

e-mail address in profile if you want more info

lucien

oooh, poor spelling on my part 😯

ianv
    Free Member

thanks for that lucien/dirtbiker.

leebaxter
    Free Member

remember that the moun tain of hell will be on the week you are going so les alpes will be busy. but no less fun i imagine.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Alp d'Huez & Les Deux Alpes’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM