Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Slovenia hiking biking mapping
  • nedrapier

Morning all. Thinking about a trip to Slovenia.

Probably sticking to the Soca valley and the Julian Alps. Might head to Maribor of people say it’s unmissable.

Anyone know of any OSM mapping? or any other usable GPS mapping? – I’ve read OSM isn’t that well filled in.

Any other Soca / Julian Alps/ Slovenia hints, tips and facts gratefully received! Camping, lakes, mountains, hiking, biking, swimming is the kind of vibe we’re going for.

Cheers!

balfa
    Free Member

I used some of the opencyclemaps/openmtbmaps downloaded for offline use when I was out there. It seemed to have all the trails on them and was better than any of the paper maps we had or could find.

The best bike day out was a ride from Kobarid up Matajur and down into Italy. The descent is 16Km long and 1500m down to San Pietro al Natisone. The tourist in Kobarid information even had it marked up on a map. A big day out but there were plenty of companies that seem to offer partial uplift and collection if that is your thing.

nedrapier

cheers balfa. I will check out that ride, sounds immense!

any particular osm you’d recommend?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I had a look on my phone app, 4Umaps was about all I could find that had some reasonable detail and contours (the OSMs available didn’t have contours). There was an Italian topo option which looked promising, but the tiles were too broken up to be useful. However, it suggests that there is decent mapping, as it looks pretty detailed.
    [IMG]http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu197/Hoppy66_photos/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-06/Screenshot_2015-06-30-13-03-25_zpsyoic8i0n.png[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu197/Hoppy66_photos/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-06/Screenshot_2015-06-30-13-08-20_zpszcixpyev.png[/IMG]

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

This might explain why the Italian PCN topo map has tiles missing, it possibly does work with Italy IP addresses. Although maybe still look out for Portale Cartografico Nazionale downloadable maps, might not be restricted elsewhere on the internet.

peteimpreza

” Might head to Maribor of people say it’s unmissable.”

If you mean the bike park at Pohorje, you won’t need a map.

Campsite at the end of the runs right next to the cable car. This runs all year.

Also next to the campsite is one of my favourite restaurants in Maribor. Cantina.

Email in profile if you want anymore Maribor information.

nedrapier

If you mean…

I don’t know! Just heard a lot of people go there to ride, but we’re driving over, and 6hours extra driving to get to Maribor and back from Soca valley is on the “maybe, but only if it’s the absolute shit.” list.

Bikes are (she wears) Swift by Singular with 100mm Rebas and (he wears) Prince Albert by Dialled Bikes with 120/150 Revs. So bike parks aren’t quite what we’re there for. Although we both had a ton of fun at Antur Stiniog on the same bikes so who knows?

nedrapier

Cheers Bnana. Looks like there’s plenty to go at. I was just going by this:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Slovenia#Hiking_and_Bicycle_Trails

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Slovenia hiking biking mapping’ is closed to new replies.