Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Slimline PS3 owners
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Looking to buy one as we are using the current ‘original’ 60gb (backward compatible) mostly for movies but the fan gets really distracting at times (can’t have sound up too loud as kids sleeping upstairs) and am told the new ones are considerably quieter/almost silent. Is this the case or does the fan still make lots of noise and would I be better off getting a dedicated Bluray player?

Also – any good deals around on them???

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yes they are quieter, but we had a 360 as well which was only good for playing Forza as it masked the sound!

Just got mine with a friends staff discound at sainsburys, £200 with 2 games (got another £30 off that too 🙂 ).

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Quiet enough to not hear the fan when watching a film?

Drac
    mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

And I never notice the fan on my old style system.

Mine is dreadful – kicks in after about 5 minutes playing. It wasn’t a problem as we used to just turn up the volume but, as above, the kids upstairs means we can’t shake the walls anymore.

Drac

the kids upstairs means we can’t shake the walls anymore.

Yeah they do that and they stop your turning up the TV too. 😆

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

LOL that is very correct 🙂

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

we have one of the new slimline models and I don’t notice any fan noise at all. In comparison with my old Xbox 360, to all intents and purposes it’s silent.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Cheers – that’s what I needed to know.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

The slimlines are much more quiet, the improvement over the previous model was one of it’s biggest selling points on launch. Most Gamestations have a used slim set up by the counter, you can have a listen if your still not sure.

rocketman
    Free Member

Depending on the excess, it can be err…favourable if your 60GB relic has an ‘accident’ and then the nice people from your contents insurers will replace it with a spangly new and above all SILENT PS3.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Rocketman – that is naughty.

But I hadn’t thought of it.

8)

simon_g

Audible in a quiet room (and louder than most standalone players these days) but very quiet in the grand scheme of things, and absolutely unnoticeable when watching a movie.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

TBH though – I can get around £120-ish for mine (as it is the backward compatible one and has the original box still) on Ebay so the cost won’t be that great – I would still have to pay the first £50 of a claim anyway. So if I was to do something illegal it might save me around £40 (but have the premium go up next year).

Think I will stick to Plan A.

Saccades
    Free Member

If your backwards compatible is starting to cut into fan stage 1 and 2 then it wouldn’t surprise me if you get YLOD in the non too distant future. Cheap fixes are increasing the gap underneath the ps3, 3″ appears to be a good distance. You can also stand the ps3 on it’s end which also increases the cooling rate.

next level of preventative maintenance is to get it reflowed – as the ps3 is classed as a toy there is not allowed to be lead in it – so the heatsink has a fairly useless thermal paste – you can get this swopped out.

After that you need to crack open the casing and start drilling holes or set the fan to stage 3 all the time – but then you might as well of bought a xbox360.

If you play games it would also be worth getting a 16gb memory stick and saving your game data every month or so.

scruff
    Free Member

Is it worth getting a slim PS3 2nd hand? All Ive seen on Ebay look like write offs.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Scruff – sorry I meant to sell mine on Ebay (for around £120) then buy a new one for about £190 (inc. Quidco cashback) so it will probably end up costing me £80 including Ebay costs.

Ashley
    Free Member

I got a great trade in with Game on my old 60GB PS3 because of the backwards compatibility it was worth quite a bit, and then got one of their package deals on our slim one. In the end I think I paid out less than the cost of the two games I wanted in the package for a newer model.

chakaping
    Free Member

You should do another thread for chubby PS3 owners, there are probably more of them.

Ba-dum-tish.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Slimline PS3 owners’ is closed to new replies.