Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Slightly wacky project, need ideas
  • bedmaker

I am in the process of converting an ancient combine harvester into a DJ stage for the Belladrum Festival.
    As a roof, it is to have a giant tartan bunnet like this

It will need to be around 3.5M diameter.
    I’m thinkingof forming it from straw bales with a chainsaw, covering that with membrane as used for in gardens under gravel and then making a fibreglass cover over that. Once set, I could remove the straw and bond the fibreglass hat to a metal frame.

Any alternative ideas from seasoned bunnet builders?

Spoons, carbon fibre?? 🙂

bedmaker

Image fail.

Like this

molgrips
    Free Member

😯 is all I have to say about the scope of your project!

nonk
    Free Member

I am in the process of converting an ancient combine harvester into a DJ stage

this has never been said before.

bedmaker

🙂 Sometimes I like not having a proper job.

The bunnet is the next phase of the job. This afternoon I will carry on with the 6M high bagpipe drones which are coming off the top of the combine, with flames shooting out of them obviously.

molgrips
    Free Member

O M G

Never have pics been more needed.

fadda

Can I come and work with you? Sounds a whole load more fun than whatever the hell it is that I do here…

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

can you get hold of a portable slurry/water ‘pillow’

fire service may have one or they are used by slurry injection companies as temporary storage. You could use that as a form for fibreglass

maccruiskeen

At that kind of size fibreglass and steel is going to result is something pretty flippin heavy that you then need to hoist up and support securely. I’d maybe use a light steel armature (if any) then create the form with something nice and light like stratocell or plastizote (from somewhere like Paulamar) then put a fabric coating over that. For an event thats only going to run for a few days think carnival arts rather than making a yacht hull 🙂

I’d even look at making it inflatable – rip stop nylon and a blower – then you could get some light inside it too.

wwaswas

I’d even look at making it inflatable – rip stop nylon and a blower

this sounds like a good idea – blower from a bouncy castle, material from a balloon manufacturer painted/printed to suit and a lightweight support platform.

bedmaker

Liking the inflatable idea. Will have a chat with a local tarpaulin/bouncy castle chap.

Weight shouldnt be too much of an issue, it will sit on top of the platform which is all built from scaff tubing so pretty solid. There’s a teleporter for lifting duties.

It may travel to other festivals in time so something inflatable which can be folded away might be a benefit for transportation.

Will get some pics of progress so far up later hopefully.

wwaswas

a teleporter for lifting duties

‘Beam me up Scottie’

One can’t help thinking that restricting the use of a teleporter to putting tartan hats on combine harvesters is a waste of a technology with a far wider potential application.

maccruiskeen

One can’t help thinking that restricting the use of a teleporter to putting tartan hats on combine harvesters is a waste of a technology with a far wider potential application

I couldn’t disagree more!

bedmaker

I’m wondering now what happens when a fly gets shut in the teleporter with a giant toorie bunnet

cbike
    Free Member

Interior?
    Exterior?
    Self extingushing? The Site manager or fire officer will test it.

Carnival arts design might do. Fibreglass poles, canes, scrimm and PVA. Plastizote and a light coating of fire retardent.

bedmaker

Thread resurrection..

It’s underway now with a steel frame, bridged with chicken wire then covered in fibreglass.

As it was
    [/url]
    P1000242 by LOVATSTOVES, on Flickr[/img]

Lunchtime today

P1000618 by LOVATSTOVES, on Flickr

As I left it tonight

P1000621 by LOVATSTOVES, on Flickr

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Slightly wacky project, need ideas’ is closed to new replies.