Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Sleeping at work
  • ourmaninthenorth

For whatever reason, I continue to feel generally shattered at work. I've just got back from locking myself in one of the cubicles and having 10 minutes shut-eye.

Feel much better 🙂

Nick

what happened to sick bay's they were great for this sort of thing, the other option is underneath the desks, pull some boxes around you, sorted

c
    Free Member

Ummm, for me I think it's mainly boredom related. Sitting opposite my boss makes sleeping at work a little dangerous an activity.

tails
    Free Member

I feel your pain ourmaninthenorth, not the most inspirational of companies along with heating maxed to 11 and never getting much shuteye on sunday night. My eyes feel so heavy, very frustrating being this tired.

miketually
    Free Member

"Get on with your coursework and wake me 5 minutes before the end of the lesson."

🙂

brack
    Free Member

Should have joined the fire service..they get paid to do this!

glenp
    Free Member

A ten minute power nap works wonders – would be much more productive if our culture allowed for that.

glenh
    Free Member

Someone who works with a friend of mine apparently has a bubble wrap 'nest' under their desk 😯

epicyclo

Sure there's enough fresh air getting into the room? Sounds like not much oxygen to me.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I was once doing this, in a room in our basement. I don't know how long I'd been asleep when the light came on and half our IT department walked in. I rose, said "Good afternoon Gents" and left the room, but it was a bad moment. 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

BD – a very Briish approach. God man!

thomthumb
    Free Member

Someone who works with a friend of mine apparently has a bubble wrap 'nest' under their desk

i have a similar friend – except he has a cardboard box with a sleeping bag in!

t-p26
    Free Member

I used to work with someone who fell asleep at the wheel, whilst waiting at a set of traffic lights!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I knew someone who fell asleep whilst topping up his car radiator in his lunch hour.

🙂

CaptJon
    Free Member

When i was a postgrad i'd frequently take naps in my cubicle. Those 11am starts really took it out of me.

ourmaninthenorth

I knew someone who fell asleep whilst topping up his car radiator in his lunch hour.

😀

At what point did "your friend" wake up? Forehead on the alternator..?!!

uplink
    Free Member

Don't the Japs get issued with little pillows so that they can have a quick nap at their desks?

You could always claim you're Japanese & it's a genetic requirement

ourmaninthenorth

You could always claim you're Japanese & it's a genetic requirement

But then I'd have to go back to working 80 hours a week…. 😥

Flaperon

If you said you were half-Japanese then it'd only be 40 hours a week…

project
    Free Member

In the new conservative manifesto,there is a clause saying every day, there will be a heads on desks hour,because nobody will be working and to drag the day out more thats what they suggest.

MoreCashThanDash

I have a colleague who is constantly nodding off in the office – normally she works from home, so we assume it is because she has to get up at stupid o'clock to get over to the office one day a week.

As she doesn't appear to crash her car too often, we assume she is not narcoleptic.

footflaps

I used to work with a guy who always took a 40min nap at lunchtime in his chair in an open plan office – just leant back, closed his eyes and nodded off for 30mins or so..

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I'm a lorry driver and a midday snooze is compulsory in my book.

Pillow – check
    sleeping bag – check
    Radio 3 – check

and Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

At what point did "your friend" wake up? Forehead on the alternator..?!!

he was woken by a colleague who went out to find him 🙂

DrP

Google 'Epworth Sleepyness scale', fill it in, then post back here!
    Let's see who's clinically the most tired!!

PS – bet i'll come high up the scale over the next few weeks – little'un arrived on wed!

DrP

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Congrats – now get to bed, you'll need it. (father of 8 month old twins)

FoxyChick
    Free Member

MrFC sleeps 6 or 7 hrs every night he is at work.

crikey
    Free Member

You poor little lambs.

Try working 8 nights, then tell me how tired you are…

Stoner
    Free Member

Old City trick:

Need a nap? Go see a client. Take the Circle line. Stay on it asleep in a corner until you're rested. Then keep going/change to the other direction to get back. Never more than 45 minutes from the office 😉

iDave
    Free Member

i fell asleep in a seminar at uni once – a seminar which I was supposed to be taking. i was sat beside the head of dept, in his office with 5 other students. they carried on without me and he woke me at the end.

AndyP
    Free Member

Always good to have beds at work 🙂

Trimix
    Free Member

I had a job once Xraying welds in Oil pipelines. Because the oil pipes went across Saudi Arabia they were a little hot. So we went to work at 5am. I was the newbie who had to climb inside and put the Xray plate in position. It was still as hot as a Pizza oven, but there was no H&S in 1982.

No way could I get used to working at 5am, I spent most of the day asleep as soon as we got back to the office. I just shut myself in the Xray room, with the chair against the door, so when they opened the door it shoved the chair and woke me up. I was poised with a pen in one hand and some paperwork on the desk.

ziggy
    Free Member

some years ago I once worked for a well known retailer who sells alot of bikes and car parts, I was on a late shift but had a chronic hangover due to a whole weekend on the lash.

Anyhow at around 7 pm ish I decided to go for a lie down on some cardboard, next thing I know is I woke up and it was all dark. It was 10.30 and the store had shut and all the staff gone.

Thank goodness for fire exits 🙂

The keyholder that day got blamed for leaving the door unsecure, I like a man decided to keep stum.

zaskar
    Free Member

I was in the Uni bar 9pm doing homework in 1st yr and waiting for a GF to call me.

I wake up to my phone ringing at 1am and my mates, the other staff and bar manager thought it would be funny to leave me there head on note pad.

I couldn't get out and had to jump up and up down at the security camera-which were amused in their office-let me out eventually!

djglover
    Free Member

Try a danger ****, that should liven things up a bit.

petrieboy

as a teenager i used to work for a well known car accessory and bicycle retailer superstore. the edinburgh store had a warehouse half a mile away from the store where bikes and large items were stored.
    during the busy festive period it was my job to go to the warehouse and build all the bikes due for collection the following day. the warehouse was otherwise unoccupied.
    30 minutes was the allocated time to "build" a bike however in most circumstances a build involved removing from the box, fitting the front wheel and saddle then quick check so 5 minutes was adequate. so after the days work was done (around 10am) i would retire to the EuroXL roofbox packed with jumbo car sponges and travel blankets. best job i ever had 8)

<high fives Ziggy>

scotabroad

Sleeping at work in a lot of process & manufacturing industries = gross misconduct = being fired.

enduro-aid
    Free Member

I fall asleep every friday after lunch break at my desk, as we go for a pub lunch on a friday

not a major problem as my boss does the same from time to time, not easy though as its feet up and head back which isnt all that comfortable and you have to be aware of other employees with water pistols and nerf guns

sofatester
    Free Member

Sleeping at work in a lot of process & manufacturing industries = gross misconduct = being fired.

Is that speaking from experience? 😉

NZCol

I have a nap probably every other day depending on what training i have been doing.

Just curl up under my desk, quite comfortable.Probably helps that I am the boss and normally only one in the office !

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Sleeping at work’ is closed to new replies.