Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Skinwalls on a full sus…opinions please.
  • brann112233
    Free Member

Morning all,

Looking for some opinions on skinwalls. I generally like them. I think they look sweet on a steel hardtail.
    Im in the process of building up a Silver 2005 Turner 5 Spot HL and pretty much decided on / purchased full spec and Im tempted to go with Onza Skinwalls, but other than last years meta and mondrakers I’ve never seen any on a full sus build. Will it work? Would it just be wrong?
    I appreciate it doesn’t really matter what others think, it only really matter if I like them, but I can’t decide.
    PICS PLEASE?

Speeder

On an 80s BMX yes. On a modern MTB? No no no no – wrong very wrong.

ampthill

Its your bike do what you want

stevied
    Free Member

Shirley, you’d choose tyres that work well? If they work for you, great, but, as it’s the only point of contact, I’d choose tyres that work, not look pretty

timb34
    Free Member

I can only ever remember seeing one FS with skinwalls:

(OK they’re tubs, but still skinwall-ish)

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’m tempted to get some for my bikes. They’re actually meant to be pretty good tyres – the skinwall thing is an added retro bonus!

Northwind

I love how they look but there’s not really enough choice imo

devash
    Free Member

I remember seeing some Commencal full sussers shipping with them last year.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got some skinwall 29er small block 8’s for the summer 8)

Look great, but only 2.1″ which makes them both retro looking, retro fast accelerating and retro relatively uncomfortable.

chestrockwell

I stuck some Charge skin walls I had knocking about on my old Orange 5 for a ride. It looked sweet but the tyres were not the best for what I used the bike for.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Speeder whaddya mean ’80s’ BMX? Skinwalls still look cool and loads of the guys down the park run them 😀

Never on anything other than a BMX though, in my opinion!

woodster

Skinwalls look ace mostly, but your issue is the silver rather than being a full sus. A silver bike works better with the sharpness and contrast of black tyres.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If you build a bike for looks then don’t bother riding it. Put the rubber on that works

jairaj

Are skinwall tyres just about looks or is there something different in the construction or performance?

teamslug
    Free Member

Continental used to do them but they were a funny colour…like a baby poo brown…and not wanting to hijack the thread I have just bought a 2005 5 spot for refurb and was wondering what colour to powder coat it?.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

silver and then put skinwall tyres on quickly before the OP does it.

Speeder

wilko1999 – Member
    Speeder whaddya mean ’80s’ BMX? Skinwalls still look cool and loads of the guys down the park run them

Never on anything other than a BMX though, in my opinion!

A skinny skinwall on a Tioga Comp III is a great thing to see.

The oversize modern version above just looks offensive.

But I’m over 40 and that was 30 years ago – what do I know?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Are skinwall tyres just about looks or is there something different in the construction or performance?

Tyres are made from 3 or more bits of rubber, there’s the fabric carcas and some ruber, and various layers/areas of tread. Nothing to stop the mnaufacturer colouring most bits any colour they like. The black is added to make them black to match the tread which is black as there’s added carbon, silica and other stuff to make it grippy and hardwearing, skinwalls are just the natural rubber colour.

The reason they made a resurgence in XC is the re-apperance of tubular tyres which tend to be skinwalls in part due to the way they’re made, although I suspect it’s more marketing these days, tubs being the traditional/racer choice.

AdeC
    Free Member

skinwalls look great. I love em.

any excuse to post a pic of the AMP:

and here’s a Canyon strive with skinwalls. Not mine as i’m still waiting for Canyon to build it…

nach
    Free Member

I think what Speeder is trying to say is:

“SIR,

I am writing to you about an affront so ghastly it caused my titanium sport monocle to pop forth from my very face: The so called “skinwall” tyre. In a past rose-tinted time, a certain kind of such tyre was tolerable and perhaps even appropriate on certain kinds of bicycle, but these days they are appearing in places most unacceptable, such as mounted on otherwise well-esteemed and fully suspended rigs. A less refined mind may mistake such a contraption for a beach cruiser, and the unchecked spread of such tyres will surely impart an unseemly dimension of complication to what tyres threads.

I am most perturbed by the issue and it is disturbing the sickness of my lines. This egregious rubber is the preserve of buffoons, and if neither designers, nor manufacturers, nor retailers, nor even the press shall police the refined and subtle aesthetics of mountain velocipedes, then we must take it upon ourselves to do so. I humbly suggest a mass campaign of sternly worded letters pleading for the purity of our hobby. This is not about personal preferences; aesthetics are a science.

Yours faithfully, I await your swift reply &c. &c.”

nedrapier

Ardents come in skinwall.

Got them on the wife’s Swift. Silver rims, spokes and hubs, 2.25 on the back, 2.4 on the front. I think they look good and, more importantly, so does she.

Cheapest I could find was from some place in Frarrrnts. Probike maybe?

Speeder

Exactly what I was thinking Nach I just couldn’t put it down quick enough so it came out in a slightly less flowery manner.

One thing I would pull you up on though – I’d never use the word “rig” to describe a bike*

* Though I may have done at some point in my life if someone were getting picky. 😆

Speeder

This thread is making me think that my next set of wheels should be polished with chrome spokes though, dammit

cynic-al
    Free Member

Skinwalls? On an FS!!?!!?

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, MAN, WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?

brann112233
    Free Member

Cheers for the input guys. Appreciate skinwalls will always divide opinion 🙂
    Think I’m going to go for it. Onza Ibex 2.25 look like a decent bet. I’ll post pic once it’s built. If I end up hating them I can always keep them for a future hardtail build.

Rorschach
    Free Member

What travel.I think they’ll be all right between 125mm and 135mm of travel but if your’re going to run 140mm forks…..well,it’s best we don’t discuss that on a forum where there may be children (and Hora) present.

nach
    Free Member

Phwoar. I wasn’t really into Canyon’s blue frames, but matched up with skinwalls that looks great.

brann112233
    Free Member

robdob
    Free Member

My Pitch would look great with skinwalls, been considering some myself.

kudos100
    Free Member

They look the boll*cks. When I first got back into riding about 5 years ago, I couldn’t believe you could no longer buy then. Black tyres just looked dull in comparison.

davosaurusrex

Just make sure you run them on black rims

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I love the (admittedly few) comments from people saying – if you’re choosing X on a bike because of looks, you shouldn’t disgrace our trails with your impertinent aesthetic.

I mean, it’s not like anyone, ever, has ever bought a bike, or chosen a component on the basis of looks, is it? 😉

I love skinwall tyres. Like above, I was devastated to find out you could no longer buy them when I properly got back in to riding ten years ago. Not quite sure why black walls took over as the norm, though perhaps it was driven by a marketing-lead perception that skinwalls were ‘XC’, whereas blackwalls are ‘Gnar’?

I still have a stock of skinny skinwalls for my original MTB retro bike anyways.

A complete bugger to clean oil off of, though..

BigDummy
    Free Member

Yes. Skinwalls are epic. I agree with the reservations expressed above about the silver frame though, I’d change that.

🙂

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

They look sh*t. That’s why you see virtually nothing with them.

pinetree
    Free Member

On iPad, so I’m not sure if it will let me paste an image, but here’s an fs bike with skin walls, and I reckon it looks the dogs danglies!

http://www.mtb-check.com/fr/hot-or-not-yeti-asrc-2015/

pinetree
    Free Member

Have it now 🙂

PJM1974
    Free Member

I was fully prepared to jump into this thread with comments like “awful”, but I quite like that Yeti above.

NormalMan

I love that Yeti. Blends modern with retro very well IMHO.

kayla1
    Free Member

Some skinwalls, yesterday-

I like them. “Pfft!” to the haterz 😀

Yak

Yes – to that yeti. Muted blue and skinwall works imo.
    Silver….hmmm, not so sure.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Skinwalls on a full sus…opinions please.’ is closed to new replies.