Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Skins compression tights
  • Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Friend of mine was recently raving about Skins and their recovery tights. They cost a fortune, anyone else got experiences with them? Do they work? Are they worth the money?

wwaswas

I’ve had less cramp on long rides since I started wearing their bike shorts.

Not tried the recovery products, though. There’s a lot of clones out there for a lot less money.

flatfish
    Free Member

Got the L/S top for when I’ve play football. Seems to work for that so I don’t see why they wouldn’t work for pedalling.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hilldodger
    Free Member

I was sceptical, tried the tights after long rides and gym sessions, work for me.
    Big reductions at Sports Pursuit at the moment (aboout 1/2 price)

http://www.sportpursuit.co.uk/skins

iDave
    Free Member

I’ve used them for the last 3 years after particularly ‘grippy’ training sessions. They seem to work well.

wwaswas

sportpursuit seem to be down?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve tried an A-B test – slept with them on one leg only, did make a difference.

That was 2xu or whatever, they seemed to have a better rep.

simonb512
    Free Member

I use the shorts and calf ‘socks’ and they work really well for me.

I do run in the shorts and quad pains are better, even though it looks like I’m running in underwear.

With the cheaper stuff I find the stitching comes out a little too easily though.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I use mine for recovery only. I love mine and wouldn’t be without them. They make a huge difference to me. I use them after running, cycling and weights. If I don’t wear them, I tend to get DOMs after weights.

I think they work best when put on asap after exercise and then sleep in them. I’ve had mine for maybe 3 years now, and they have been well worth the money.

The bf said he’d read a study recently which suggested wearing them for 24 hours to get the best benefit.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Okay someone has said SLEEP in them! I see you can but OMG I can’t do that Mr MC would run a mile..next I’ll be sleeping in socks! I don’t really want the ones for doing sport in, I have ample nice cycling shorts etc at the minute. I was thinking of the recovery ones the RY400’s I think they are called.

MMMM now a dilemma given the price! What other brands woudl you recommend looking at?

loum
    Free Member

Do you have to use the recovery specific compression tights for the rest day, or can you just get the standard sports compression tights?
    To me, compression is compression- and I can’t see how the recovery and sports ones would differ, but I’ve no experienve and would be interested to hear from someone who knows what they’re talking about.
    Also, CRC have some big discounts at the mo’ on other compression brands ( Zoots and 2XU ) if that’s any good to anyone. Like I say, I don’t really know if they’re equivalent or not.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Loum exactly as you’ve said really! I could get dragged in to all the marketing stuff when reality is something else may well do the job! Who flipping knows .. !!

DezB
    Free Member

The tights are about £30 on Sports Pursuit, shorts even cheaper.
    It’d be really nice if you register through my link, so I get a bit of money off! I did this for a fellow STWer, so hope he appreciated it as much as I would 😉
    My link

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The 2XU ones worked really well for me skiing – miraculous even.

2XU ones are suppossed to be a little better based on rep.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Darn it Dezb I would have but after someon up there posted I registed! Sorry.

DezB
    Free Member

No fiver off for me then 🙁

By the way, it can take a couple of weeks for delivery. I waited ages for my Dare2Be softshell. Was worth the wait though cos I wear it all the time!

trickydisco
    Free Member

I’ve got the recovery one’s from maxgear : http://www.maxgear.co.uk/CompressionClothing/index.html (although not sure of the ionergized bit!)

for £29.99

Worked for me when i cycled London > barcelona

damitamit
    Free Member

I was tempted by the ones on Sports Pursuit, but delivery isn’t until 19th – 26th March!

I have the same question as above, if I want them for recovery only do I get the training ones like these (cheaper):

http://www.sportsshoes.com/product/SKI1/skins-sport-mens-long-tight-(bk_yl)/

Or the Recovery ones like these:

http://www.sportsshoes.com/product/SKI62/skins-bio-ry400-long-compression-tights/

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

You were just a tad too late, sorry 🙁 maybe someone else will pick up on it! not sure baout the Skins on there, some weird sizes left hence the cheap price.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’ve got Skins for cycling in and Orca for recovery.

I’ve been known to sleep in full recovery gear, tights and top… can’t say it does wonders for the sex-life but I’m recovering fast.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Damitamit I was looking at RY400 ones, Chain reaction have them for £63 I think.

damitamit
    Free Member

Munge-chick, the “Sport Long Tights” are only £40 so if they’re similar Id rather get them. confusing!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Aren’t the ‘Recovery’ ones really nothing different to the ‘Active’ ones other than just a bit tighter?

mustard
    Free Member

There is a piece in the comic about a Kiwi study -if I’m remembering it correctly- they took a bunch of evenly matched ‘multi sport athletes’ (I think that means triathletes) and got them to do a TT.

1/2 were then given compression tights and the other 1/2 a placebo to wear for 24hrs. After the 24hrs the TT was repeated. The whole excercise was repeated a couple of weeks later (I think mixing up who did and didnt get the compression wear).

Conclusion was that those who wore the compression performed better, in the 2nd TT, than those who did not.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

MM maybe I’ll just treat myself to those RY400 ones then! shame I gave the £10 off £50 Chain reaction voucher to Mr MC last weekend, darn it!!!

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

MC if you can, try on before buying. I tried on Skins and 2XU. 2XU weren’t a good fit on me (despite trying one or two diff sizes) I’m an XS small in skins tights and XXS small in the calve guards.

MRanger156
    Free Member

Yep work for me.

martinhutch

What’s the placebo in a compression tights study?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Thanks Dirtygirlonabike! The joys of Chainreaction now with their free returns it’s like walking into a shop but far easier as there are no shops near me that sell this gear!

Now I don’t have a clue what brand or what model? since we’ve decided they appear to work? Unfortunately I can’t go for those silly calve ones despite doing triathlons 😉

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

M_C – Fit2Run in Abingdon stock Skins.

iDave
    Free Member

I use cheap ‘granny type’ compression socks from a chemist most of the time.

damitamit
    Free Member

After reading this: http://www.fuelme.co.nz/skins-a200-vs-a400/ I decided to go for the A200 tights.

Bought from here (seemed cheapest around £46 free delivery): http://www.barringtonsports.com/products/skins_a200_mens_compression_long_tights_2011/14128/view

I believe they do Collect+ returns too.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Damitamit that article is very useful! as all teh gubbins doesn’t make much sense but that lays it out! Now I just need to decide myself what I watn them for, ie jsut recovery or for running in too! That Barrington sports website looks good too. Thanks! Now any voucher codes for any additional discounts 😉

mustard
    Free Member

What’s the placebo in a compression tights study

I think it was lycra tights with a different composition so they stretched more rather than compressioned (yes i did just make that word up 🙂 ), the idea being that the riders weren’t influenced by knowing if they had compression tights or not. I presume they were all told they did have them.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I use Skins and really rate them. Seem too help me. I get them free at work so not sure I’d spend my own money on them given the price.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Odd theory ChunkyMTB so you have them, think they work but wouldn’t spend the money! So you don’t think the cost outweighs the benefit you gain from wearing now?

So only decision is A200 for using to run in then as recovery or just go for RY400 as solely recovery tights!? Decisions.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Correct. It’s something I wouldn’t spend money on myself. What’s wrong with that?

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

From what i’ve read, if you ride/run in them, your muscles won’t get damaged as much as they would without wearing them. In theory, you should be able to run for longer without muscles tiring. I don’t know if this is the case as i’ve not worn them for running but if i was running my previous mileage per week, then i’d wear them for running. I’d prob have the recovery ones too on the basis that i’d not want to lounge around in/sleep in the same ones as i’d just been exercising in. Most of the studies I’ve read have been focused on the recovery aspect rather than when exercising.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Article on tridudes raving about skins ry400 think I might invest.

Jamie
    Free Member

PSA: Orca ones on Start Fitness at half price.

Laydeez

Guyz

….till 12pm today only.

It’d be really nice if you register through my link, so I get a bit of money off!

You’re welcome…well, assuming I buy anything 8)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Skins compression tights’ is closed to new replies.