Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Skill courses are they worth it?
  • juan
    Free Member

I found it hard to come back to the level I had prior to my UK life.
    Now I would like to be able to ride a bike properly again. I can go pretty much everywhere and go down without any problem, save one, speed. I can't get to go as fast as I use to be (riding buddies are now way more ahead of me)

Will skill courses help as I don't really know what to ask for????

kennyp
    Free Member

I've done a course at Glentress that Emma and Tracy run. Definitely recommend it. I guess courses depend very much on who is giving them.

sc-xc

I did one a while ago. Well worth doing if you think you can learn something. Not worth it if you're an arrogant f*cker though.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Did a course with jedi a couple of weeks ago. Really worthwhile, and he taught us a lot about conserving energy and putting the speed down where it matters. Using pumping and better concentration to get more speed.

I was doing a trail that I was familiar with in a faster time with a lot less energy used by the end of the day.

TonyL
    Free Member

Yes worth doing, if you are in the north west try cyclewise or great rock

jedi

are they worth it? depends

thomthumb
    Free Member

hello.

speed isn't a skill in itself(unless your braking lots more?)

something else is slowing you down…

jedi

no, but managing your speed and the enrgy in the trail is 🙂

mboy
    Free Member

Not worth it if you're an arrogant f*cker though.

LOL

Nail probably hit firmly and squarely on the head there!

Riding is no different to anything else in life. If you believe you know everything already, you're not going to get any better. If you know you have weaknesses, and want to work on improving them, then the correct training is undoubtedly going to help a great deal!

Arrogance is the enemy of improvement…

ooOOoo
    Free Member

indeed glasshopper

Coasting
    Free Member

Id do one of Jedi's tmorrow given the chance

juan
    Free Member

Well sorry jedi but I am a bit far south for one of you course. Thing is I really don't know why I can't go fast. That is my main problem. If I knew it was for reason x or y I'll try and change it.
    It's just that not knowing what is wrong it might come down as a waste of money…

firestarter
    Free Member

i did one the other day i learnt more in the first half hour than i have in 20 years . so much smoother now . just need to keep up the training 😉

soulrider
    Free Member

if you were in Scotland I would definitely recommend Dirt School.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Yeah – for the cost of a course compared to how much is spent on bike components and clothing I'd say the right course will improve your riding more than 10 times the money spent on bike bits

clubber
    Free Member

Are there any skills courses run around Afan – we're there for a weekend soon and just thought it'd be worth considering if there was a good one there…

crazy-legs

+1 for what Bushwhacked says.

I can recommend AQR – I did a course with them at Sherwood Pines last year and straight away they'd picked up on the little bad habits that I'd collected over the years and everyone on that course went away from that day having learnt something.
    There were all sorts there, someone who'd only ever ridden a bike off-road three times before right up to me and another guy who'd both raced Expert XC – we ALL learnt loads and improved.

Coyote
    Free Member

Did a course with one of the guides in Whistler. Definately recommended. Provided you are willing to listen and learn of course…

dickydutch

Funny all this talk about ignorant people.
    Told a friend I had done one at Whinlatter. He scoffed. He obviously thinks he's too cool for tuition. Arrogant Pr**k. I went off him right there and then.

I thought it was well worth it and I'd def reccommend the guys at Cyclewise Whinlatter.

Ed-O
    Free Member

Everyone has got plenty to learn. Even the trainers. Often it's just fine tuning or noticing something that the rider themselves are unaware of doing.

stevomcd
    Free Member

You back in the (Southern) Alps now Juan? Dirt School guys are coming out to our place for a coaching week in July.

clubber
    Free Member

Jedi/Ed presumably neither of you cover Afan as a location for coaching?

Ed-O
    Free Member

Not me.

Gisburn Forest, Lee Quarry and Calderdale for me.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

We're about an hour and a half north of Afan if that's any use.

http://www.forestfreeride.co.uk

Stuart

elaineanne
    Free Member

what about us old timers lol… well lest face it once you get to 30 years of age (your apparently ready for knackers yard….lol
    i started mtb 2 years ago and in my middle(ish) 40,s are we still trainable mr Ed O ? lol… was at Gisburn forest yesterday and did all the red route and small bits on black ( a tiny section) muddy as hell it was yesterday…and snow on the boardwalks….managed it all tho…

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Elaine anne, oldest person I've trained was 74. He came to see me because his mate who was 78 was faster than him on the descents!

Stuart

coffeeking
    Free Member

I'd like to get my missus on a skills course, she's fairly good but woudl benefit from being given more detail and she doesn't like being instructed by me for some reason.

jedi

i am going to look at afan as a possible yes. all depends. i have 2 dialled areas already

grahamb
    Free Member

Elaine Anne, i'm 49. Doing a day with Jedi tomorrow (poor man), so i guess in 24 hours time i'll be able to answer that 🙂

Ed-O
    Free Member

elaine anne – middle(ish) 40s more than welcome. Certainly is some bad mud up there in the top part of the loop. I was there with a group on Sunday.

scotabroad

With all this talk of better speed and less energy this thread has me interested, what sort of cost is it per day to get a decent skills day??

juan
    Free Member

stevo, thanks but I know plenty of BE/MCF who can teach me 😉
    I'll have a deep think about it then…

stevomcd
    Free Member

stevo, thanks but I know plenty of BE/MCF who can teach me

Ah, you want to work on your bunch-riding and BMX skills? 😛

Par contre, moi j'ai un BE!

Ed-O
    Free Member

scotabroad – Details for me are on my site which is linked to by clicking on my user name. Roughly £60 per person in a group or £180 for a one to one day.

juan
    Free Member

Stevo good on you, I might actually try to get my MCF this year. But before that I want to be able to ride properly 😉

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

scotabroard, as with Ed details of course prices are on the website.

http://www.forestfreeride.co.uk

Stuart

RayMazey
    Free Member

Mountain Bike Skills Courses – Peak District, South Wales & Scotland

http://www.mountainbikeskillscourses.co.uk

backhander
    Free Member

Ouch! £180/day is a bit steep. wasn't expecting that.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Well worth a course IME but must be the right one for you.

I developed a problem with rocky technical type descents and effectively stopped riding ones I had ridden in the past? no reason, just spooked.

One particular for some mad reason I'd ridden many times without a single mis-hap for example was off The Pike at Rivignton, one bit of it I'd HAVE to get off and walk. No idea why.

I did a skills course with Ed-O (Great Rock) and rode the same bit I had problems with a few weeks after the course and didn't even see the bit that used to put me off? so did it again and still couldn't even see what had bothered me.

Same happened at Gisburn on that rocky drop in the woods with the step in the middle of it. I couldn't ride it on my enduro when I first saw it but a bit of gentle coaching from Ed saw me flying down it on my hard tail.

I ripped down it a couple of weeks ago, on the hardtail, with no hesitation, passing a couple of youths looking down it with fear. A cheery "coming through lads" saw me fly past and down the bit that terrified me previously.

Wierd. All in the mind.

the £60 was worth it IMO.

sc-xc

I did one a while ago. Well worth doing if you think you can learn something.

RayMazey – Member

Mountain Bike Skills Courses – Peak District, South Wales & Scotland

http://www.mountainbikeskillscourses.co.uk

And that was the one I did!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Skill courses are they worth it?’ is closed to new replies.