Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Skiing / Snowboarding
  • Woody
    Free Member

I do both and as you can already skateboard I would say that you’ll enjoy boarding and get to grips with it much quicker, especially if you are not going to go again for a while.

If it’s going to be a regular thing, probably give skiing a try.

Whichever you choose you can’t go wrong as they are both ace.

chrssmale
    Free Member

Been snowboarding for close to 15 years now and love it (35 now) definitely used to be the cooler of the two. But now the kids on the mountain are predominately all skiers. The newer shorter hourglass shaped ski’s have changed things alot and skiing is more trendy again.
    I very nearly buried my pride this year in Tignes and borrowed a mates skis and boots. However I got as far as the lift and missed my boots (snowboard boots are much more comfortable) so went straight back and swopped back to my board. But I think I may give it a go this year if the option arises.
    ha ha Northstar certainly speak the truth.
    If you were to grab a board, you will be tackling more difficult slopes and go faster towards the end of the week than the skiers. But give that a few years and you’ll find the opposite.
    Atleast for learning to board wrist guards are essential, padded shorts make it alot nicer too.
    you could pick up some bargain outer layers from a charity shop, just make sure you reproof them before you go. And don’t buy the cheapest gloves you can afford, they’ll get cold and wet in no time.
    2 Months to go for me 🙂

GrahamS

I thought you needed to ride both ways on a snowboard? If not then ever better!

Nah. It’s a useful skill if you get into doing 180s etc – but not something you need for your first weeks or for cruising around.

ratswithwings
    Free Member

If you’re fine on your skateboard then you’ll have no probs on a snowboard. Using your edges to control and stop your board is pretty much like doing a grind. Heel side is like doing a frontside grind while toe side of your snowboard is like doing a backside grind. You gotta exert the pressure either through your toes or your heels accordingly and have your body angled as if you were doing a grind. Don’t be afraid to get aggressive with your edges.

Learning to ollie on a snowboard is alot easier if you’ve skated. As with ollies on a skateboard its all about the pop and lift. Its so much easier with your attached feet as you suck your knees up.

shoveits and 180s are pretty much like doing it on a skateboard.

Watch other people ride for hints and tips!!!

turboferret

For boarding, if you don’t want to buy padded shorts, a quick cheap alternative is to cut up and old camping mat. A piece about A4 sized shoved down the back of your snowboard trousers will work nicely. Not only will it give you more protection for falling, but it’ll be warmer and more comfortable when sitting around 🙂

Although they aren’t necessarily cool, I love my salopettes – absolutely no chance of snow getting down your bum crack, and keep your kidneys nice and warm too – the boarding equivalent of bib shorts(or tights)!

Cheers, Rich

mistermouse
    Free Member

If you can wait till you get there or nearer the time to decide I would wait. If the pistes are hard and icy go on skis and if soft with some fresh stuff go for the board.

flyingmonkeycorps

I have to decide now, sadly. Given the choice I’d try both, but since I’m only there a week I’d sooner pick one and try and get as good as I can, rather than swapping just as I’m starting to get the hang of it!

Liking the DIY padding idea, I’m sure I can sacrifice a roll matt… Had an offer of some salopettes, so that’s cool too.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

more comfortable when sitting around the middle of the piste, just downhill from a blind crest…

FTFY

😉

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I boarded this year for the first time in 20 years, having skied since being a nipper. Boarding is ace if you’ve got the decent fresh powder to play in. Every other occasion the skis win it for me. I reckon in this day and age skiing is easier to learn (if you’ve done neither before), is less demanding on the body (it blinking well hurts to fall at speed on a hard icy piste when boarding) and you don’t have everyone waiting for you whilst you faff about putting your board back on after a lift/beer stop/wee/photo opportunity etc etc. There’s also nothing worse than getting stuck with a board on a long flat section with no momentum. Avoid resorts with flatish road pistes.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

skiing is more trendy again

All the more reason to board…

661’s cycle impact shorts are a nice cheap alternative to snow specific crash pants, just don’t tumble dry them!

TK Maxx seems to have run out of quality ski/board gear over the last couple of years and seem to only have the bargain brands now, still good for Socks Gloves Thermals and hats though.

Oh and when you learn to board you won’t be doing much straightlining – toe or heel sliding toward your “back” foot isn’t the same as riding switch, you’ll be doing a lot of “falling leaf” to start with..

stilltortoise
    Free Member

flyingmonkeycorps, whatever you decide on I recommend a couple of lessons before you go so you can make the most of it when you’re out there.

PS I found boarding quite easy to learn being quite a reasonable and experienced skier. I’m quite proud to say a pro boarder told me I had better technique than a lot of more experienced boarders he’d ridden with. I’m not sure if it would be the same the other way around.

flyingmonkeycorps

Lessons before I go are probably a no go to be honest, just for cost reasons – though if I can manage it I will. I had a beginner session on snowboard a few years ago at Xscape, and I can still remember the basics of that.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Skiing / Snowboarding’ is closed to new replies.