Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • skiing? scotland?
  • bobbyatwork
    Free Member

is this still possible? i fancied a last thrash in the slush…anyone been lately?

bobbyatwork
    Free Member

yep got that ta…i think ill head up..

GrahamS

Cairngorm still has 5 lifts running!
    http://www.winterhighland.info/general/

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDI7ZzcsUi8[/video]

Might last till next weekend. Probably.

Might involve some hiking.

greggparker9
    Free Member

Did a 1200 mile round trip to ski Cairngorm on Sunday!! Was a great day out and a little folly. The skiing obviously isn’t amazing but as a bonus day to finish the season It’s well worth it.

If you’re going make sure you get there early, it was pretty busy last weekend but they had just had a load of snow followed by bluebird weather!

stabilizers

I’ve seen the pictures and it looks pretty amazing.
    Remember it is spring conditions and there is no base so it could be gone just as quick.

McHamish
    Free Member

One word for boarding/skiing in Gods Own Country….

COOOOOOLLLLLLLDDDDDD.

nbt

There’s a good chance that Mrs NBT and I will be heading up to Aviemore this weekend – depends how work goes and so on

piffpaffpoff
    Free Member

I was at Aviemore on Sunday and it was epic! Very busy, and a bit of a wait at the tows but the snow was amazing up at the top of the hill. Good cover, very hard packed in the morning but softening up nicely over the course of the day. Would be back up again this weekend if I could afford it.

Have a look at the Cairngorm Mountain Facebook page for the most recent photos, they are posting loads every day to show how brilliant it is.

matt_outandabout

More snow due on Friday….

IainAhh
    Free Member

Have a look at

http://www.winterhighland.info/

It will give you info, photos etc.
    Weather dependant there are good conditions at Cairngorm at the moment.

GrahamS

Sometimes they even do videos. 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

Glenshee wasnt worth bother sunday past when i drove through

Slim pickings

stuartm555
    Free Member

Cairngorm on Saturday 🙂

Cairngorm by Stuart Marshall, on Flickr

sweepy
    Free Member

I was up cairngorm on tues, no queues and pretty good cover, snow was a bit sticky tho.

druidh
    Free Member

That’ll be the snow-covered Cairngorms in the distance.

Pity about the heat haze today.

P1040066 by druidh_dubh, on Flickr

zippykona

Why is the sky that funny blue colour?

SaxonRider

😆 @ zippykona

nbt

Last Updated on: 04/05/2012 10:06
    Top Station weather- 25mph gusting 30 mph North North Westerly, Temperature -2c, heavy snow falling at all levels. Hill fog with visibility 150 meters. Fresh snow overnight with freezing level currently 700 meters. Some drifting in places with the snowpack now firming up . The forecast is to go colder with snow showers, which will enable the groomers to patch up more easily when the snowpack firms up.

Ciste, Ptarmigan, Polar and M1 all opening, with the train doing middle upstops.

Due to the very warm temperatures over the last couple of days,there is now a short walk required back to the M1, and mid platform, via zig zag, 105,lady and M1 piste. There is also no snow on the M1 queuing area.

Ski mountaineering tickets are available, however there is a walk up to use the M1 poma. Not valid for funicular travel.

Equipment hire opening at 9.00am Snowsports ticket prices of £21.00 (adult) and £13.00 (Junior) will apply. First train up 9.00am, last train down 5.00pm. The Mountain Shop, Cas bar are open from 9am. We have a sale in both the Mountain Shop and Shop@The Top, with 30% off winter accessories.

We depart my place of work in about 75 minutes 🙂

bobbyatwork
    Free Member

im going too…im on one plank with a very yellow jkt on…waves! just getting it all out of the loft at the mo….

whod thunk it! boarding in may!

nbt

well, a bad day on the piste is better than the best day in the office. Given that it’s may, today was not bad at all. snow in the ciste is in pretty good nick where pisted, although the freeze / thaw cycle has left it quite hard where not pisted. You do get the odd pocket of drifted snow though which is quite nice. Coire cas has got great snow, the main problem is it doesn’t reach quite far enough. The snowline is about 15m vertical above the bottom of the M1 poma. The t-bar is running with a loading point at the top of the gunbarrel, but getting out of the cas requires a skis-off walk to either the m1 or the funicular.

apparently the winch cat has been out this evening, pisting the coronation wall. Will have to see what tonight brings in terms of snowfall, but that chance to ski coronation might make the difference between us skiing tomorrow or doing something else – they really need snow to cover the approach to m1

anyway, these pics probably say more than all those words

May, in scotland. Not bad, eh?

Slight understatement

Tea and cake at Inshriach Nursery on the way down the hill. It’s almost worth a 600 mile round trip just for this,

ldmc1966
    Free Member

We went up to the Cairngorms last week… amazing conditions… Well worth the drive!
    [video]http://vimeo.com/41627243[/video]

bobbyatwork
    Free Member

yep i had a great day last sunday,got a whole six hours of boarding fun in….was really good.blue skys and a wee suntan. 😆

jimmy

tinking of heading up tmrow as I have the day off. From Edinburgh – anyone else?

totalshell

ben nevis and glencoe last weekedn forget it snowing but v light and its now very wet..

nbt

8″ of fresh in the top bowls at Cairngorm so far today, and it’e snowing down to Sugar Bowl (long way below the ski area). Long range forecast is that it will stay cold for most of the month which should mean the snow will be around for a while yet.

Forecast for Sunday is not great so get up there tomorrow if you’ve chance

druidh
    Free Member

How is Glenshee? I’m supposed to be out walking in that area tomorrow.

Edit: Never mind, just been checking out the webcam. http://www.ski-glenshee.co.uk/webcam-images

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘skiing? scotland?’ is closed to new replies.