Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • SKF ISIS BB
  • allthegear
    Free Member

Does anyone know whether my ISIS BB (yes, I know but I LOVE the Middleburn cranks that I have) can have the bearings replaced or anywhere that can supply a replacement SKF 600 ISIS BB??

It’s been amazing and lasted for agas and ages but I can now feel a little bit of play.

Thanks

Rachel

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I dunno, but if you want an inexpensive ISIS BB that will last ~2yrs, consider the Superstar with integrated bearings. I was impressed with mine. I moved over to HT-II, which seems like a retrograde step given that the Shimano ones are lasting me ~1yr.
    SS ISIS BB

allthegear
    Free Member

wow – that is cheap!! Seems like a good move – thanks!!

oo – now do I get some of those pedals, too – in orange?????

no – black it is…

Rachel

ssboggy

I can also recommend the superstar ISIS bottom brackets, my 2 are outlasting the SKF bottom brackets i had before. Also i don’t think its possible to change the bearing on the SKF as the axel and shell are integral parts of the bearing

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Lol!

You have to be careful with SS. Before you know it you’ve bought 8 sets of brake pads, lime-green pedals and some wheels!

The deal with these BBs is that they don’t use cartridge bearings. Normal ISIS with cartridge bearings means that the balls are tiny to fit into the space, given that the axle is so fat. This is why they corrode and develop play so rapidly. Because they don’t have an enclosing cartridge, the SS ISIS BB’s have space for larger, loose ball bearings integrated into the assembly. This, they claim, is why they are more robust.

Given all the well-known problems with ISIS BBs, I think this is a much overlook product.

goodgrief
    Free Member

SS isis BB’s have lasted me well on a couple of bikes. being as cheap as they are is just another bonus

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘SKF ISIS BB’ is closed to new replies.