Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • SKA
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

any SB6 fans here ?

ok they are quite ragga – but they have there ska tunes too …

onewheelgood

Funny how people seem to be thinking of the Specials etc as the start of ska. If you can get hold of a copy of Deep Ska it’s a brilliant intro to the original ska bands. Highlight for me is Don Drummond’s ‘Green Island’ (available on Spotify).

yunki
    Free Member

Funny how people seem to be thinking of the Specials etc as the start of ska

as demonstrated by the constant references to the trojan boxsets in this thread 🙄

onewheelgood

Fair point – but I didn’t say everyone thought ska started with the specials. Anyway, I apologise.

yunki
    Free Member

apology accepted..

I apologise too.. twas a bit sharp of me.. I was in the middle of recieving some first class henpecking from Mrs Yunki when I wrote the comment..

that Deep Ska album looks mighty fine..

SidKillerest
    Free Member

Here’s five bands/artists well worth checking out…

Skatalites – True original big band ska

Wailing Wailers – Proper 3 piece harmonies over cool ska… Much better than the over produced shite they made later on as Bob Marley and the Wailers

Tommy McCook – Original skatalite, amazing sax based (mostly)
    instrumental ska tunes

The Maytals – Again, classic 3 piece vocals over excellent fast paced Ska, later became bit slower & more soulful Toots and the Maytals – dunno why, he was always with them!

Prince Buster – Original rude boy ska… He was the one idolised by madness et al in the new wave ska era…. shame they never played or had the attitude like him!

Am a big fan of specials, beat, ska punk etc but really this isnt ska is it? just good time music with a slight jamaican pop music influence.
    If 1968 hadn’t been so hot in JA, maybe true ska would have hung around a bit longer…. RIP true ska!

yunki
    Free Member

RIP true ska!

amen to that… sadly

knottie8
    Free Member

Hey mr P try “shoot the moon” on myspace or my facebook page, I have them booked for the works xmas party . A modern take on SKA . ‘Kin brill.

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘SKA’ is closed to new replies.