Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Singular Swift vs. On-One Scandal
  • Shackleton

I'm planning on getting a 29er to run as a rigid singlespeed after an epiphany on one of the on-one Ti 29ers at the w/e. Sadly I can't afford one of them so either of these 2 are on the cards. I'll be putting the lightest wheelset on I can afford but everything else will be for the long haul rather than weightweenie.

I'd really like peoples opinions on:
    1. Comfort of the 2 frames.
    2. Weight, given that I think the swift is close to 7.5 lbs and the on-one 4 lbs with forks. The swift strikes me as a bit porky but does it ride porky? I want something that rides light but know that this isn't always down to absolute weight.
    3. Handling and ride. Is the now Alu Scandal a harsh ride or is 7043 wonderful stuff (I can't find any info on it at all, so I haven't the faintest idea if it's cheese or weapons grade!). Is is the swift scaffold rather than supple?

Any other pointers gratefully received,

Cheers,

P

soma_rich
    Free Member

I have a Scandal 29er and love it. Its not harsh for an alloy frame, its no steel frame but is certainly the comfiest alloy frame I have ridden.

I have been toying with buying a swift for about a year now. The main thing stopping me is the weight (and having no money). I think your right it does sound heavy. I havnt ridden one so cant comment on how it rides. My Scandal certainly feel the right wieght to me.

firestarter
    Free Member

i had a swift. i found it felt heavy in the pick up test but it didnt ride like it was heavy at all. it was very forgiving of my bad line choices for a rigid lol i found it handled lovely too . ive not ridden the scandal so cant compare the two but i always thought the scandal was a different type of bike more a light weight harsh racer type than the swift.

the finish on the swift is lovely too . they are really really nice in looks and ride. had to sell mine im afraid but id defo like another singular in the future but this time i want a peregrine 😉

heres a pic of mine before i flogged it to moisten you up lol

Shackleton

Cheers guys, how harsh does the scandal ride compared to a normal on-one 26er steel framed bike?

What would be the all in weight for a sensible single speed build on either?

rOcKeTdOg

i've got a swift and it isn't light at all, my fuel ex8 is lighter with 4" of travel each end, but it sure does ride nicely, very comfy and not at all like i was expecting after hearing the stories of 29ers turning like a barge etc and being rubbish on twisty stuff, it seems to handle just like my Voodoo 26er but with bigger wheels

can't comment on an on one though, never swung my leg over a 29" version

soma_rich
    Free Member

I used the have a 29er steel Inbred which was a lot more springy than the Scandal but I never have thought the Scandal harsh.

epicyclo

I have the Swift and the Scandal. I've built up the Scandal reasonably light (9.6kg), I can't remember the Swift's weight but I haven't put very many light bits on it and it's around 12kg.

I built the Scandal up for races etc because I couldn't bear the thought of scratching the Swift or scuffing the paint off it.

If I had to have only one I'd keep the Swift. The only improvement I want on it is less weight.

The Scandal is a very nice bike though, and I've just had a frame sent out to Oz so I can convert my Avanti KISS 29er into a Scandal while I'm here.

In other words, they're both good bikes.

BTW the steel fork on the Swift is too good to be replaced with a carbon or sus fork, so that may save you some money.

Shackleton

Cheers, although these comments haven't made the decision easier. I think it will have to be the swift purely for aesthetic reasons!

keavo
    Free Member

i've owned the singular rigid fork and the on-one steel rigid fork. the singular is nicer, takes the edge off the bumps, is well finished and good looking.

Swiftacular
    Free Member

My Swift weighed nothing, in a standard build with Racelite wheels.
    Beautiful Bike, Beautiful Finish and a beautiful ride.

thekingofsweden

Thats strange to hear that, i have never wieghed my swift but i cerainly dont think its a heavy bike ,I have been told its suprisingly light ('for a big wheeler')
    It doesn't feel heavy but if having a lightweight bike that kicks you in the arse and doesn't handle well is better than a heavier bike that rides like a dream and handles superbly then thats a choice to make as a buyer i suppose

nedrapier

thekingofsweden – I get the feeling that might be exactly the comment Shackleton was after!

thekingofsweden

Oh yeah sorry i missed that in the original post the Swift is certainly not scaffold its all day sweet sweet sweet 😀

barney
    Free Member

Can't comment on the scandal, but I've got a Swift and used to have an On-one. On-one was pig iron in comparison to the Swift.

I've got no idea how much it weighs, but it's a completely lovely thing, and rides *much* lighter than this thread tells me it is.

Sam

Sorry to be a bit late chiming in. Just to clarify on weights. A bare large Swift frame weighs right around 5 lbs, a medium slightly less, extra large slightly more. The fork is 2.3lbs. So depending on size 7.5lbs for the whole package is about right. 4lbs for a scandal I would think is frame only, the forks themselves are about 800g. I've built a large singlespeed Swift down around 20lbs with some fancy parts, around 23-24lbs is no problem at all with 'normal' bits. As ever, wheels and tyres make the biggest difference.

Nice to hear so many positive comments about the ride – which after all is said and done is what it's all about!

Edit – just to add on tubing type. The Swift is definitely not 'scaffold' – it uses custom drawn double butted 4130 steel. Tube profiles specific to frame size. For mine they definitely ride nicely – though I am a little biased.

allankelly

I have a geared swift for sale. I've not posted it anywhere (inc here nor fleabay) so if you're interested ping me. Email in profile. (it's just my name @gmail.com).

It's a "medium" which was the smallest size. Currently Sam has a geared/SS single model, this is specifically geared without the eccentric BB. I'm 5'7 and it's great for me with a short stem. My mate who's 6'0 thinks it's great for him too.

Photos and "For Sale" sign tonight…

Cheers, al.

Clink

I have a geared swift for sale

If OP is not interested I might be.

cynic-al
    Free Member

"4lb vs 7.5 lb" no WAY!

I would guess the scandal is a bit over 3lb and the swift 4.5-5lb

MrSparkle

NB that's with the fork.

allankelly

Clink: Drop me a mail.
    al.

roach

I was loving my 29er Scandal with Rebas up Afan on the weekend, oh yes! 😆

Clink

Clink: Drop me a mail

Can't find your address?

Shackleton

Cheers for the help fellas. I think a new swift will be making it's way to the north east as soon as the ship gets in. End of Oct apparently so probably actually with me by middle of November 🙁

skyhigh_71

Hi,

Yet another Swift fan here.

No one has yet mentioned Sliding drop-outs vs Eccentric Bottom Bracket. The Swift has EBB and is in my opinion far superior for singlespeed to hub gear use.

The Swift can be ridden all day in comfort. Fantastic bike. So good I have a second one running a Rohloff hub!

Never tried an On-one

thekingofsweden

Good choice you will not be disapointed 🙂

rootes1

yep i have a swift – not the lightest bike, but it rides real nice

aw
    Free Member

do swifts come all built or just as frame only?

I am really interested in one and have been for sometime…but what about the other singulars…peregrine and hummingbird?

They look just lovely and I love the 45 degree drop bars in the pic earlier in the post…

singlespeedstu

aw.

If you're after a dropbar singular I'd wait until Sam has these in.

They're so much fun to ride. 😀

MrNutt
    Free Member

oh god, who managed to get their hands on that lovely green Swift? just thinking of it makes me ache!

fontmoss
    Free Member

i have a gf ferrous and i think weight is just the trade off with steel frame, ebb and big wheels-im still thinking of getting another old rig frame as a lightweight racey thing but i imagine the swift will be the same as the ferrous-bit heavier lot lovelier overall than alu.

plus i think i might get a singular fork to jack up the front on the ferrous, in time* ill prob look at the ti frame. i think a test ride will sort your head

*a long time, 3 and a half years left of uni if i pass my exams

slowjo
    Free Member

I have an XL swift built up SS with reasonable kit, not super lightweight but not porky either. On a lift up test with my mates 26" Inbred SS (small) the Swift was noticeably lighter. OK he had bouncy forks but the difference was significant. Don't know what relevance that has to the OP but if you are careful it doesn't build up into a heavy bike.

As for ride quality, the swift is sweeeeeeet.

rOcKeTdOg

just because

slowjo
    Free Member

ooh… should I buy another and put forks and gears on it`? I can't do without a SS but the idea of a bouncy geared one really appeals. There again, I'm lusting after a Niner as well. Where's the money going to come from???????

chunkypaul
    Free Member

i do miss my old scandal…

Northwind

I had a Scandal 26er, it didn't suit the job I tried to make it do too well but as a pure XC bike it was brilliant. And surprisingly comfortable, I'd bought into the flexy steel/stiff ally myth but IMO the Scandal was more comfortable than an Inbred, and very similiar to my Soul.

The 29er could be completely different of course but I'd be surprised.

prozac
    Free Member

Another very late poster …..
    I have a 29er SS Rigid Scandal and love it.
    It fits me perfectly and is pretty light. It complements my crap riding style …. but then I keep both wheels as close to the floor as possible and don't do big drops

I'm in the process of building a Swift.
    Was intending on building it as a Alfine'd hardtail , but until I can afford the Alfine built wheel it'll be SS too.. and rigid.

Visually, the Swift is leagues ahead of the Scandal. Finish is sublime.

After I've ridden both, I'll choose which I prefer as SS and put the Alfine and whatever forks I end up with on the other.

I'll let you know

Martin

epicyclo

Just for interest my measurements on my Scandal & Swift:

FRAME:
    Singular frame with EBB = 2.45kg
    Scandal frame = 1.6kg

A difference of 850gms. About 1 1/2 waterbottles worth. Add to the Scandal's weight a couple of tensioners to keep the back wheel straight and the weight of a tool to adjust them – in my case 85gm all up, which reduces the weight difference to 765gms.

FORK:
    Singular fork cut = 1.12kg
    On-One fork = 0.93kg

A difference of 190gms, or a bag of jelly babies. I like both forks. The On-One could be fitted to the Singular to save a bit of weight.

If you build with a suspension fork, then this is irrelevant.
    ——————————————-

The Scandal frame is light and rides nicely, but not as nicely as the Singular. Both handle well.

The Singular wins out for convenience – eg dropping out your back wheel for punctures or getting it into a small car. There are no alignment problems when putting the wheel back.

The Scandal is more awkward. If your punctures happen at convenient locations, times, and weather, then the Scandal is ok too, but you still have to make sure the disk is properly aligned unless you can get the wheel exactly where it was previously.

Thus the total weight difference comes to 945gms if you use the Swift with its fork, or on just frame weights alone 765 gms.

A well considered build could get you a very light Swift or an ultra light Scandal.

slowjo
    Free Member

I have just revamped my Swift for the summer.I have been unable to find a comfortable (SS) ratio on the Swift and I was becoming a little disconsolate about it all so I decided to play about with it. I have set it up as a 1×9 (still rigid) and rode it for the first time this weekend. What a revelation, the bike has been transformed, it rides as sweet as a nut, is fast, responsive and comfortable. I am sorely tempted to leave it as it is but that means I'll have to buy myself another SS. 😯

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Singular Swift vs. On-One Scandal’ is closed to new replies.