• This topic has 72 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by taka.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • singletrack pump track ( not good )
  • taka
    Free Member

its not good went up there lastnight someone on a quad has ripped the sh1t out of the two berms and the pumpy jumpy thingies the drains have worked but the big one is a big deep puddle even worse while we were looking at them a guy on a motorbike came and did a jump over my bike 👿 we rung the police cos i was abit p1ssed 2 out of the 3 of them had their bikes taken off them 😉 all in a nights work :mrgreen:

ive got some pictures but cant load them up at the mo

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Is the pump track 'legal'?

mikey74
    Free Member

where?

taka
    Free Member

acording to stw they got permission 😐 and its at the flappit cullingworth

nigew
    Free Member

You really rang the police?!
    Why not try and speak to the guys on the motorbikes and explain what they had wrecked?
    Hope you always ride your bike on bridleways and never on a footpath!!!

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

That'll be why there are dicks up there with (trail) bikes then. Good work all the same.

taka
    Free Member

nigew – Member

yes because its illegal the place is shut down to them and i dont apprecieate people jumping over my bike.

mtbfix

Fair play to you. My folks are wardens in the Northumberland National Park and trail bikes are now banned in most of that area. When wardens address the matter to the riders they basically get told to get stuffed. They are quickly realising that the only way to get action will be to involve the Police and start confiscating the offending bikes.

nigew
    Free Member

As far as i know its never been legal to ride there, but nobody seemed to bother if you did,
    Dont leave your bike lying around next time 😉

taka
    Free Member

but its been shut to motorbikes now by the council and offenders will be prosicuted

MrAgreeable

nobody seemed to bother if you did

Probably because it's hard to talk to someone if they're wearing a full face helmet and bombing around on a motorbike. 🙄

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

good on you taka!

I'm guessing nigeW that you have never dug a trail in your life, if you had you'd know how much time and effort even a few meters takes, feel free to get off your high horse and put something back into the sport by going on a dig day. Then come back and be sanctimonious.

In Taka's shoes I'd probably have needed holding back to prevent Ton style justice being meated out! Theres a world of difference between a cheeky footpath, and destroying trails.

ton

well done young thomas…… 8)

nigew
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Not on a high horse at all, the area where the pumptrack has been built is near a quarry that has been used by trials bikes for decades and isnt the best looking bit of land, i wonder if the guys on motorbikes didnt have clue what they were riding over, just seemed a bit OTT to call the police
    And yes i have been involved with digging a trail so do know how hard it is!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

but its been shut to motorbikes now by the council and offenders will be prosicuted

well done Tom for taking action.
    I might be wrong here, but I think the council just closed the lay-by that everyone was parking in to try and stop the large numbers of people turning up and riding. I think the actual land is privately owned and the land owner wasn't bothered about people riding bikes on it, hence it's popularity. The land has certainly not been closed off, as proved by the chaps from STW who turned up and built a pump track without permission from the landowner.

traildog
    Free Member

Why not try and speak to the guys on the motorbikes and explain what they had wrecked?

Having nearly died explaining to a group of youths the error of their vandalism, I have to say that is the most moronic advice I've read in a while. The police are professionals in explaining what's been wrecked and dealing with it. Things like this are best left to them.

barca
    Free Member

The hypocrisy of some people on this website makes me laugh. Cheekytrails, special bridleways etc. all fair to ride but motorbikes on a track and you're up in arms.
    Dear oh dear…..

MrAgreeable

Monksie, you do know the difference between a criminal offence and a civil tort, right? Between 30 lb and 300 lb? Or between 0.5 hp and 50 hp? 🙄

nbt

The hypocrisy of some people on this website makes me laugh. Cheekytrails, special bridleways etc. all fair to ride but motorbikes on a track and you're up in arms.
    Dear oh dear…..

difference is, me riding down a footpah doesn't rip it to shreds the way it does when some idiot goes "BWAAAAARRRPPPP" on the throttle of his motorbike

nbt

he land has certainly not been closed off, as proved by the chaps from STW who turned up and built a pump track without permission from the landowner.

You sure about that? ON the original thread, Ben said they had permission

barca
    Free Member

Oh, so it's damage by degree then?
    Hypocrites.

nbt

monksie – Member

Hypocrites.

All riding does damage. Trails are erosion, full stop. For that matter, eating food does damage: the resources required to breed cattle for your steaks are not inconsiderable. Evertyhing is measured by degrees, nothing is absolute. I'm happy with my stance.

MrAgreeable

Until someone invents the hoverboard, yes. 🙄

barca
    Free Member

"All riding does damage…." etc.
    Which is one half of my point. People causing damage to a track in the pursuit of their pastime moaning about people causing damage to a track in the pursuit of their pastime.

I'm happy with my stance. The hypocrisy of some people on this website makes me laugh. Cheekytrails, special bridleways etc. all fair to ride but motorbikes on a track and you're up in arms.
    Dear oh dear…..
    Hipocrites

"Monksie, you do know the difference between a criminal offence and a civil tort, right? Between 30 lb and 300 lb? Or between 0.5 hp and 50 hp?"

Of course I do and just for clarity I'll make my point again.

People causing damage to a track in the pursuit of their pastime moaning about people causing damage to a track in the pursuit of their pastime.

Hypocrites.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Can't see much wrong with that monksie. If your presence damages the trail to the point where others can't use it, then you shouldn't be riding it, regardless of your weapon of choice. Amazingly, powered vehicles seem to cause a lot more erosion.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

well i say good on you tom; having been there on the saturday for the dig i have to say it was bloody hard work cutting through that ground, especially so in the bonkers weather we had that day. and it's pretty saddening to learn that our work has been trashed already.

RichPenny
    Free Member

People causing damage to a track in the pursuit of their pastime moaning about people destroying a track in the pursuit of their pastime.

Corrected for you monksie

oxnop
    Free Member

Well done tom.

& yes the flappit is closed to motor vehicles.

backhander
    Free Member

If an attractive female pats your arse, it's OK.
    If Ton headbuts your your nose flat, it's assault.
    Of course there are degrees of severity.

MrAgreeable

Oh dear. Do off-road motorbikes still use leaded fuel? It would explain a lot.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

nigew – Member

Hope you always ride your bike on bridleways and never on a footpath!!!

you tit

bigyinn
    Free Member

Oh FFS. Im sure some people on here take the opposing position just because they can, not because they actually believe the rubbish they spout.

Why are some on here saying its ok to have wrecked a track that was built specifically for a purpose with permission and consent of the landowner. Especially when motorised vehicles are BANNED there. Its waste ground rather than NT or an SSI!

If i drove a tank up the driveway to their house and chewed it up would THAT be acceptable to them? I doubt it.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

nbt – Member

"the land has certainly not been closed off, as proved by the chaps from STW who turned up and built a pump track without permission from the landowner."

You sure about that? ON the original thread, Ben said they had permission

That's what I was told by one of the people who volunteered, so from what you say nbt it would appear that Ben mislead everyone or maybe he'll correct me and put the record straight?.

barca
    Free Member

Depends if the person who had their bottom patted welcomed the action or not. If they didn't, it's technically an assualt the same as a deliberate head butt breaking your nose is an assault.
    It doesn't matter how you argue it though. People who ride their bicycles where they shouldn't moaning about people riding their motorbikes where tbey shouldn't (in the general context of footpaths, bridleways etc. without resorting to extreme analogies) are hypocrites.
    I ride my bike on footpaths every other day and I also hold the gates open for 'crossers when they're flying past me in the Peak District. I don't spout off about "cheeky trails" etc and then moan about other types of users though. Some on this website (thread even) certainly do and this makes me laugh (in a cycnical manner) because they're being blatant hypocrites.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I'd like to think im open minded about most trail users, but when im riding on bridleways which have huge gouges and ruts on them from powered vehicles wheel spinning etc, then i tend to change my views.

Riding cheeky trails is one thing, but destroying trails / tracks is on quite another entirely! Its certainly not the hypocrisy you make it out to be!

The fact that you (monksie) admit to riding footpaths kind of undermines your own integrity.

stumpyjon

As I understand it the pump track we built was unofficial so we don't really have a leg to stand on with regards to someone else wrecking it. The motorbike guy who gave us a hand building it did say at the time that the mini moto riders would love it and probably wreck it. As for calling the police, well I don't have a lot of sympathy for motorbike riders. If they hadn't jumped over taka's bike he probably wouldn't have got them involved. Same goes for all of us really, if you upset other users particularly if it's it somewhere you shouldn't be, expect to reap the consequences.

I did suggest to marting Colledge that it would be a good idea to include a pump track within the planned skills area at Gisburn so that might make a good replacement.

grumm
    Free Member

It doesn't matter how you argue it though. People who ride their bicycles where they shouldn't moaning about people riding their motorbikes where tbey shouldn't (in the general context of footpaths, bridleways etc. without resorting to extreme analogies) are hypocrites.

Isn't the moaning about trashing a purpose built feature, as opposed to just 'riding where they don't have permission'. What about the jumping over his bike bit?

Would I be a hypocrite for thinking it would be a bit anti-social to, say, rag a MX bike all over a cricket pitch, because I occassionally ride on footpaths (and leave pretty much no mark at all)?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Why are some on here saying its ok to have wrecked a track that was built specifically for a purpose with permission and consent of the landowner. Especially when motorised vehicles are BANNED there. Its waste ground rather than NT or an SSI!

I don't believe STW had permission or consent from the landowner to build that pump track. I don't think motorbikes have been banned from the flappit, the council have just made it impossible to park so people can't turn up and unload a trailer full of dirt bikes. I'm not absolutely certain about that, but then neither can you be.

barca
    Free Member

It may undermine my integrity bigyinn but the point I'm mkaing is, some people who regularly use this forum and have also commented on this thread regularly ride on footpaths (fair enough), talk of it on this website (fair enough) but then cry foul when motorbikes do it which leads me on to the view they're being hypocrites. Regardless of the amount or severity of the damage each means of transport causes on each occasion, even using the extreme 'tank' example, by riding your bicycle somewhere where you shouldn't (noted, not at the location that the OP refers to) and then moaning about motorbike users doing exactly the same is hypocritical.
    Ot doesn't matter how it's argued, the underniable fact is, people who ride thier bikes where they shouldn't and then moan about people riding their motorbikes where they shouldn't are hypocrites and it gets right on my last nerve.

Grumm. Yes. Despite the amount of damage created. Riding your bike on cricket pitch and then moaning about a motorbike riding on a cricket pitch is hypocritical because neither of you should have done it despite the degree of damage caused and again, that's my point. Nothing more, nothing less. Just that. Some people ride their bikes where they shouldn't and moan about others riding their motorbikes where they shouldn't. Hypocrites. The same as people riding their bikes on trail centre tracks and then maoning about walkers walking on those tracks IF they then bestowed the virtues of riding on footpaths, they'd be hypocrites and they also would be sitting on my last remaining nerve.

grumm
    Free Member

Regardless of the amount or severity of the damage each means of transport causes on each occasion

But surely this is the whole point.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘singletrack pump track ( not good )’ is closed to new replies.