Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Singlespeed – why do we do it?
  • AndrewBF
    Free Member

Because it gets me fit. But really because I was sick and tired of snarled up muddy derailleurs. And a Rohloff is too heavy.

If I’m on a road bike then gears are a no brainer. Off road they just become a PITA with all the mud and wetness that is around.

russjp
    Free Member

I ride ss because I have a 5 month old baby and the other half is on maternity leave so were living on half our regular income, I simply couldn’t afford to replace my geared drivetrain so went for the cheaper single speed option.

Oh, and I like it too

moose2008
    Free Member

I started riding ss for low maintenance and reliable winter riding, I found out that even around a trail centre (dalby) I’m nearly as quick on my ss as on my full susser; and it’s fully rigid.
    I’ve watched my mate go from a spesh enduro to an on one ss and he has become twice the rider both physically and technically.
    I do think a 29er helps when ss’ing because they roll well and negate the lack of gears a bit. They also help if you’re fully rigid as they roll over stuff better.

GEDA
    Free Member

Could not afford it?? Sorry maybe you ride more than me but I bought a chain tool, swap the chain when it gets stretched and now the drive train lasts 3 times as long for the small price of a chain.

tollah
    Free Member

Singlespeedstu does it so he can be like his doppleganger.

russjp
    Free Member

No, I couldn’t afford it!

Regularly changing of the chain or not, when the cassette, chain rings and mech have finally worn out it cost a fair bit of dough to replace. Thats money I don’t have!

MrSparkle

^
    What he said. My SS is like me – old, knackered and cheap.

rp16v
    Free Member

because sombody has to be “that person”

singlespeedstu

tollah – Member

Singlespeedstu does it so he can be like his doppleganger.

doppleganger. I like the sound of that it sounds kind of perevy

samuri
    Free Member

Every bike you had as a kid had one gear. Singlespeeding is like riding those bikes again, or looking at your mums feet, or sucking on a busom. These are all fine activities you enjoyed as a child, enjoy them once more.

epicyclo

I have ridden single speed for quite a long time and it just seems more natural to ride like that. In my day we weren’t called single speeder, just ‘that idiot’.

But one day I’ll be old and frail and I’ll have to fit gears and suspension to my bike, so I won’t knock them. 🙂

drofluf
    Free Member

Because Shimaon delayed delivering the Alfine 11 for so long I got bored waiting and had my Swift built as a singlespeed “until the Alfine arrived”.

Now I’m not bothered when the Alfine arrives

bullheart
    Free Member

For the glory.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed – why do we do it?’ is closed to new replies.