Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Singlespeed specific wheel… Opinions please???
  • JB
    Free Member

I've pretty much always run Hope hubs and love them… but i'm going to build a Singlespeed specific wheel (to run in a slot dropout frame)… is the Hope SS/Trials hub any good or better to do something else???

Suggsey
    Free Member

And could I ask on the back of this what is the best value/logevity SS hub with regular QR axle as my Nukeproof Generator freehub has given up the ghost (way to soon).

Sam

Hope is bulletproof but hefty. Recently I've just been using regular 9 speed hubs as I prefer cassettes for convenience and SS cassette hubs are hard to get hold of, and even harder to get spares for…

oxym0r0n

Happy with my Hope SS so far (I converted it to QR). I bought it 2nd hand built into a rim, although it is now due it's first bearing change 🙁

JRTG
    Free Member

hi, check out the superstar singlespeed hub. looks very good for the money and does actually look really good!

Or you can get a bontrager ss wheel, get the right one and it comes with a very good bontrager branded DT hub for a good price.

Hope are good but bearing life is limited if it gets wet/gritty.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Thanks for that great just what I was looking for, didnt even know they had branched out into the SS market.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

I love my Hope SS hub. It engages very quickly (more pawls than standard pro 2) obviously this is mainly for trials riding, but it's really noticeable and is great for slow speed techy bits.

I don't have any other ss hub to compare it too, but I thoroughly recommend it: Great quality, easy to service, British made, good customer back up and pretty too!

andylaightscat
    Free Member

my hope ss is reliable but on the digi kitchen scales weighs approx 440g
    so the next wheelbuild will be on xtr hub

saladdodger
    Free Member

I an tempted to get a hope s/s hub but at the same time the SuperStar s/s is tempting at half the price

spoke to Niel and he will supply hub, XC717 rim and spokes for a self build ( which I asked for) for £115

One of the lads ( mrT I think) on this site has one and is well pleased

markenduro
    Free Member

I have a surly SS hub for sale here which uses screw on freewheel, have had a change of plans so no longer needed. Currently using an xt hub with spacers but will be swapping to a hope SS/trials hub build as the chainline is more adjustable on them, the surly one uses outer chainring position and I want to swap between an alfine and SS set up, the alfine uses the middle chainring position.

clubber
    Free Member

I can never see the point in a ss hub other than it looks a bit neater

Daffy

CK SS Disc rear – Faster engagement, quieter, MUCH longer lasting IME

clubber
    Free Member

Much longer than what? Hope hubs go on near enough indefinitely ime.

fontmoss
    Free Member

dt 240 ss, luvverly

mudmonster
    Free Member

I love my hope singlespeed hub. Been using it for months now with no trouble 8-9 hours a day 3 to 5 days a week. Serviced freehub once and it didn't need it really.

bonzodog
    Free Member

Hope Pro 2 here too, and changed back to QR.

Bostin!

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

I love my Hope SS hub. It engages very quickly (more pawls than standard pro 2) obviously this is mainly for trials riding, but it's really noticeable and is great for slow speed techy bits.

Actually, it has the same number of pawls as the standard one. I had one for ages on a jump bike and it was flawless. Love the loud noise too!
    I WAY prefer the DT240ss right enough, but they are spendy! Also Profile do really nice ones, which turn up cheap from time to time…

matthewlhome
    Free Member

mudmonster – wow. what do you do to be singlespeeding for 8 hours a day, 3 to 5 times a week? I can be fairly confident about not needing to service mine for a long while yet!

JRTG
    Free Member

i think the bonty branded dt hubs are the 240 versin. bargain tastic. 2 years hard use and only serviced once, yesterday as it froze in the snow! Hope ss hub is very good but a little heavy and my bearings lasted less than a year, ask any regular welsh rider and they will agree!

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

skidsareforkids – yep, sorry – wrong terminology, you're right there are the same number of pawls, but the ss ones are off-set in pairs and so offer twice the number of engagment points compared to standard pro 2 hubs.

So 48 points of engagaement rather than the standard 24 – anyway, if you ride techy stuff ss, especially slowly it's noticeable! 😀

Though, I have to admit, I'd be very tempted to try Superstars' new ss set – at £140, they seem like an incredible bargain…

saladdodger
    Free Member

btw just had a email from SSC and the s/s hub is now £45

If I do not get a hope s/s for xmas I WILL order one

AndyP
    Free Member

WI ENO. end of thread.

saladdodger
    Free Member

WI ENO. end of thread

I will be dammed for eternity for this but I have 2 WI freewheels and yes they are better than the Shimano freewheels but I still go through bearings too quickly for my liking.

Proper hubs here I come

AndyP
    Free Member

I have 2 WI freewheels and yes they are better than the Shimano freewheels but I still go through bearings too quickly for my liking.

what in god's name are you doing to them?
    6 years and counting, original bearings. Grim gritty gloopy Peaks riding.

saladdodger
    Free Member

what in god's name are you doing to them

Dunno

definatly NOT putting too much power through the pedals, or using a jet wash

must be me because everyone else is happy with them

Del

just retired my first WI FW. in fairness, the bearing had been a bit wonky for a while, however it'd done three years, two very good quality chains, and one surly chainring, ( which i've now flipped ). if the bearing hadn't shagged, and the pawls weren't pretty done, and the outer been very close to finished ( inc. one broken off tooth ), i'd have serviced it and carried on with the same chain, chainring etc.
    it's done at least 30km, and 1250m rise and fall each week for three years, if not ridden two or three times that every week. the on-one hub it runs on has done all the same, and has had two sets of bearings ( just ) too.
    if i was starting from scratch i might go the freehub/spacer/cog route, but the WI FW has worked very well for me, and i can get 'em cheap from the US, and the wheel i run 'em on is still in great shape.
    happy. 🙂

charliedontsurf

Loads of options and I have access to almost any hubs. BUT I tend to use 9 speed hubs with spacers

getting a perfect chainline is a breeze and swapping over the really rather excellent surly ss cogs is dead easy.

Only White industries screw on freewheels are any good (they are
    excellent) on the screw on front. But they can be a sod to remove and cost about £68 each. Some of mine are 8 years old and still on original bearings with zero maintanence

clunker

My 26er runs Hope with no issues, the 29er runs Phil Wood which I am still paying for make a nice noise like the Hope too.

Dekerfer
    Free Member

Spot Brand SS hubs and WI FW make a good combo – so far anyway!

69er
    Free Member

I've done WI freehubs and they're great. A bit of a faff (and pricey) to change ratios. Yes, I know….. 😯

Ran King for a while. But I find them OTT, special tools required to adjust and service, the freehubs have more drag than most others but admittedly not a problem SS wise. But pretty stupid sound, nice and light. I know people that have poroblems with the drive ring not engaging consistently.

I'm now on the very excllent Hope Pro II, I like to use British stuff, customer support is excellent, spares are easy to get. I've just done a bearing change fo a few quid, they get a highly recommended from me.

JB
    Free Member

Thanks lads, decision is made just bought Hope Pro 2 SS on 717 rim. I've been running Hope Hubs for years they are pretty much bullet proof. Still using original XC rear with Titanium freehub that is now 5 years old, its had 2 sets of bearings in that time, but the pawls are now almost dead. I've also been using Surly front and rear chainrings for a while (bought from Charlie!!!), they too are utterly bullet proof and last for ever!

JRTG
    Free Member

good choice, awsome hubs and great service from hope. enjoy!

saladdodger
    Free Member

JB

what deal did you get on the wheel??

JB
    Free Member

Oh managed to get a set 2nd hand wheelset…

james
    Free Member

"I can never see the point in a ss hub other than it looks a bit neater "
    The chainside spokes aren't under as much stress/load etc.. because of the change in angle, so should last longer, apparantly

RichPenny
    Free Member

Andy, I've got a black Pro2 SS built onto a WTB Speeddisc rim for sale if you're interested in it.

clubber
    Free Member

James. Yes in theory. In reality no one seems to have real issues with normal wheels

fuzzyjimble
    Free Member

hope ss hub for me. 5 years in. one new freehub – bearings seized in…
    very impressed with it, weight is not that much of an issue is it?

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed specific wheel… Opinions please???’ is closed to new replies.