Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 146 total)
  • SingleSpeed – Its pants……
  • B@rney
    Free Member

It just does'nt work for me, not through lack of trying, various ratio's tried. Anyone else?

Edric64
    Free Member

It can be pants ,it depends where you ride really

B@rney
    Free Member

I live in and mostly ride in calderdale (steep sacking hills)

peachos
    Free Member

i liked it for a bit, but it became my only ride for a while as i stripped my FS and i quickly got over it. it was killing my knees and i actually hate it on anything other than ups and downs. looking to ditch the frame and SS components to build a geared HT.

would probably have one again at some point, i do love the simplicity and reliability.

m_cozzy
    Free Member

Yes its utterly pointless. Stop trying to be a weirdbeard & fit gears.

johnnywhitesox
    Free Member

Works well for me – ride mostly in Cannock Chase – no big hills and lots of mud most of the year. Wouldn't go for it in a lot of other places. Horses for courses etc etc…..

BruceM
    Free Member

Love it on my commuter.

Kevevs
    Free Member

gets me to work. no faff, no fiddle.

Tidy!

B@rney
    Free Member

sure – I liked the simplicity of it, that was the idea. I've seen a few people up and around localy (inc some of the singletrack guys) Mr cozy gears are back

shermer75
    Free Member

I loved it…for a bit. Then my knees started to get sore, and it felt great when I went back to gears. I still kinda like that punky, "**** all this faffing around" edge that it's got tho.

elaineanne
    Free Member

er… 'm_cozzy' :::: how do you know B@arney even has a beard ? lol and the fact that its 'wierd'…lol
    i too ride those big hills around caldedale,glad ive got a decent bike and gears.phew…..killer hills…

BigDummy
    Free Member

I'm not sure I understand what part of it "doesn't work"? The bit where you don't have variable gear ratios to deal with changing terrain? 🙂

philjunior
    Free Member

I like it as an option. Less hard work on some rides (if you're used to it), and seems to be good for recovering legs that are sore from running. Even enjoyed last night's spin despite having removed my beard now!

If I had only one bike it would probably have gears though.

If you're experimenting with different gears trying to get "the right one", I don't think singlespeeding is for you. It takes a while to get used to working around having the wrong gear all the time by hamster wheeling/grinding at 1RPM more effectively.

funkynick

I don't understand the sore knees comments… I never had any trouble with my knees, none of the lot I ride with had any trouble with there knees, and there were several folks on here who said their knees got stronger from riding singlespeed…

Are you just staying sat on the saddle too much?

_tom_
    Free Member

I like the idea of it but my fitness levels are too low to ride it all the time I think. Still, if my gears give me much more hassle I'm going SS as I can't be bothered trying to get my gears to run smoothly!

Might actually force us lazy people who rely on gears to work a bit harder, haha.

shermer75
    Free Member

In all fairness I've already got knee issues, always have, so it's exacerbating and existing condition rather than causing it.

Kevevs
    Free Member

I have considered it, put some fat tyres on, take the bike up somewhere, have fun! (rigid, v braked) it's still gonna be fun right? **** what the kids ride!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I sold my SS cos it was rubbish.

I bought it to commute to work on along a fairly flat run.

Boring once you reached top speed, which was too slow to be entertaining.

Luckily sold it for more than I paid though.

B@rney
    Free Member

Nope – no beard, mrs won't let me. Nope not sat in the saddle. I just think I like to 'put the hammer down' pretty often and the simple lack of gears makes for a slow/er journey??

TheSwede
    Free Member

I've been at it for only a month or so and can't get enough of it. It may be a fad (I hope not) and I wouldn't take an ss everywhere but I just loves it. I have only ridden a geared bike once since my new toy arrived and the ss bretheren encourage the consumption of alcohol and cheese which luckily I can tolerate 😉 ps have you tried a ss 29er ?

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Just started and at the moment my local loop has a couple of lung busting climbs that used to be granny ring spins but it feels great to get out of the saddle and heave up them. Still a couple of bits that I can't make it up, yet but it is a fun challenge and something different. Don't imagine it will become my only choice but it is fun for a local blast, hard workout/short time thing.

charliedontsurf

Nah, you are wrong… I think its ace.

If mountainbiking was meant to be easy, it would be called something else… like "sofa sitting" (something I am pretty damned good at)

But hey, I am biased

Woody
    Free Member

Of course it's not for everyone and for others just some of the time………but when you can ride somewhere in near silence without the hassle of constantly fiddling to find the 'right ratio' and just accept what you have available is all you've got, then it stops being an issue and you can enjoy just riding along 😀

stumpynya12
    Free Member

Yer its crap and me and 350 other folks will be doing it this weekend YAHOOO !!!! Charles we will have a beer with you my man 😉

B@rney
    Free Member

I'm not saying I want an easy life, I love a challenge like the next bloke. When I take a 'hill on' I don't spin like a nutter anyway. But when I get to the top I like to take it on the flat then take on the descent…? maybe not needing all 27 odd gears etc but a middle ground like the 2×10 or the 1×9 people seem to be going down…

Keef
    Free Member

it used to be good,but now 'everyone' is doing it's pants,obviously.
    (sticks nose in air,and wonders off )

singlespeedstu

Your right it's shite don't bother.

steve_b77
    Free Member

It's great on my commuter and I've thought about it for local loops, but keep binning the idea

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I don't think I'd get on with it but I like the idea of simplifying things. My FS will soon have only 2 chain rings on the front. The front gear changer on my hardtail broke this week and I've been managing OK just using the middle chainring since.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

but when you can ride somewhere in near silence without the hassle of constantly fiddling to find the 'right ratio'

Eh? It's like driving a car, you just go into the right gear naturally, at least I do. I never find myself 'fiddling' to find the right ratio. And 'noise' what noise? TBH I've never had any bother with any of the 27 single speeds on my bike.
    Yours, a non SS'der.

Woody
    Free Member

And 'noise' what noise?

You have a silent drivetrain? Feel free to fettle mine any time if you have achieved that. I'm not some s/s evangelist but like the relative silence of s/s on occassion as well as gears.

No big deal and each to their own etc.etc

B@rney
    Free Member

Mr Woody – put correctly…. Horses for Courses…. Just wanted to know if others have tried and failed…

zaskar
    Free Member

I don't think it's rubbish but it did not suit me at all.

Felt too restricted and inefficient.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I still don't know what you mean by 'noise' though. My tyres make more noise than my drivetrain & I can honestly say that in 21 years of riding I've never had any kind of problem (enough to remember)thats made me want 1 speed.
    27 is excessive though, I reckon even 15 would be far too plenty.

peachos
    Free Member

funkynick – Member
    I don't understand the sore knees comments… I never had any trouble with my knees, none of the lot I ride with had any trouble with there knees, and there were several folks on here who said their knees got stronger from riding singlespeed…

Are you just staying sat on the saddle too much?

well i never suffered from knee pains until i started riding solely SS.

sat in the saddle too much? nope. lots of peak and lake district riding = big hills.

i can't 100% put it down to SSing, but it the pain seems to have alleviated since i started not SSing!

Woody
    Free Member

I wouldn't look upon it as a 'failure' that you prefer gears. I've gone back and forth over the years for the same reasons you have given above and have settled (finally ??)on having both options depending on how I feel, route planned, weather etc.

TooTall
    Free Member

when you can ride somewhere in near silence without the hassle of constantly fiddling to find the 'right ratio'

I guess some people are just a bit more challenged in life than others. I find changing gear to maintain a comfortable cadence second nature. Tell me – are you baffled by the technology they call 'spd' as well? Do horseless carriages upset you with their magical propulsion?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Grinding up hills in a high gear must put more strain on your knees. whether this has any effect is down to the individual but as the cadence is lower and the power required remains the same to torque must be higher = more force thru your knees.

If your drive train is noisy you haven't set it up right. I never fiddle to get the right ratio – I just keep on changing down till I am there.

Either you are very fit, you have no serious hills where you ride or you spin out all the time.

cheers_drive

I never thought that I'd get on with it but after a few weeks I'm loving it. It's a 29er rigid SS and it makes trails that were just a straight line blast on a FS geared bike into something more of a challenge and much more interesting.
    Flat fire road and slight downhill sections are a ball ache though.

Woody
    Free Member

OK !!!!

Constantly fiddling was a bad choice of words, please substitute with 'regular changing' if it offends you 🙄

By 'noisy drive train' I was referring to chain clatter when riding on less than smooth sections occassionally encoutered offroad, something blissfully absent on a s/s.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 146 total)

The topic ‘SingleSpeed – Its pants……’ is closed to new replies.