Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • singlespeed frame
  • anono

Any recommendations for a 26er singlespeed frame, with v brake mounts, for running with a rigid fork?

If you don’t have any, feel free to provide a few insults based around hippies/beards instead

wwaswas

You don’t post on here often enough to have a singlespeed 😉

from experience I woudl say an EBB is the ‘best’ way to singlespeed – what sort of budget do you have? Any preference for frame material? New or Secondhand?

cinnamon_girl

Will shortly be selling my 14″ Inbred 853 steel, single speed only.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    anono

wwas – EBB sounds a bit more complicated than I want – i’m looking for something that I can build myself from cheap components/spares, so preferably fairly simple. Its going to be a second bike for winter/mud riding so needs to be reasonably priced (about £250 for a frame, ideally new, but will look at second hand)

c girl – thanks but probably a bit small

wwaswas

I’ve just built one of these up (geared, I admit, but it comes with dropouts for SS too) and it’s a brilliantly riding and handling steel frame – couldn’t praise it more;

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/decade-virsa-2010-frame/mountain-bike-frames/bikes-components-bikewear/fcp-product/2918

charliedontsurf

surly 1×1, a true classic and hippies smell.

anono

wwas – interesting, although I have a moral problem buying anything from cyclesurgery, in light of their pricing strategy – which seems to be a promise to match any price and then add 25%.

charlie – that’s very tempting

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

How about a Genesis 10-doesn’t have Vee brake mounts but discs are waaay better for winter duties.I’ve had one a few months now & it’s a very nice compliant ride with carbon rigid forks

wwaswas

anono – I don’t make a habit of it (not for any real reason) but I got that frame from them and then some Magura Louise brakes for £120 a pair – I think they’re shifting some stock at the moment (didn’t they get taken over?).

mk1fan
    Free Member

c_g,

14-inch Chavbreb for sale? I would be interested.

cinnamon_girl

mk1fan – e-mail sent earlier.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Listen to Charlie, he knows as he drinks warm beer.

tk46hal
    Free Member

Thanks Charlie! Got my S/S hub kit from you today! Just waiting for Hope to deliver my new 29er wheels!
    Newly painted slot drop out 29er!

OCB
    Free Member

Ok, I’m in. 😉

Or … What about getting an old Kona frame from somewhere and getting track ends welded on, or just fit it with a tensioner?.

I’ve got a SS’d 92 Kona with a rear HS33 and long P2’s, and I ride it more than anything else I own. The tensioner idea needn’t be duff – mine works fantastically – I’ve nipped it up once maybe, since it was fitted (which was years ago).

In the interests of fairness, I should mention that I have a beard, and often ride in sandals … and not only that, but I’m just about to build a fully rigid 29er SS too.

marty_mayhem
    Free Member

OCB – what’s that tension thingy your using? Looks like something fancy on the mech hanger?

OCB
    Free Member

It’s a DMR STS tensioner.
    It sits on the skewer, and yeah, it bolts onto the hanger. The angle of the photo maybe makes it look a bit more exotic that it is … 😕

There were (maybe still are) lots of negative reviews around, as the bolt (for the hanger threads) was (and maybe still is) made of comedy metal, and rather than just taking account of this and doing it up appropriately / sensibly, there seems to have been a number of ham-fisted monkeys DIY mechanics that have assumed that because it’s a big bolt, you need that bit of scaffolding pipe on the end of the spanner to get it done up, which perhaps unsurprisingly … wasn’t supported by the outcome (which is to say there were a lot of rounded off hex-sockets in the bolt heads).

Mine went on ages ago and has only been tweaked once, and even then, I don’t think it’d moved, it was one of those … “I wonder if this need’s tightening?” moments when I was at that end of the bike with the right sized allen-key in my hand.

(For completeness, the rest of it is: XT (non-disc) hub, 20t Surly cog on the freehub body, spaced out by Velosolo spacers, and a 3/32 gusset half-link chain (which might actually be fitted the wrong-way ’round – Clearly I’ve not died as a consequence tho’ as I assume it must be ok like that 😉 )).

tk46hal
    Free Member

What does everyone run for 29er’s on the front chain ring and rear sprocket?
    I’m doing 32 front and 19 rear! Is that going to be ok for hilly Yorkshire?

OCB
    Free Member

I’m just about to start on a 29er SS, and mine will be 34:18 (initially at least).

That Kona there ^ is 34:20, and that’s fine in hilly Devonshire, (even when loaded with most of a weeks shopping, but I couldn’t winch it up that lane tho’ 🙄 )

mk1fan
    Free Member

c_g

Thanks, having big IT issues at the moment so will respond once I can access e-mail.

miketually
    Free Member

V-braked SS on the cheap? Vitus Vee-1, plus off-road tyres and a smaller chainring.

_tom_
    Free Member

OCB I’ve found the dmr tensioned to be fine as well – I tend to overtighten stuff and have yet to do any damage to mine.

anono maybe look into an older DMR Trailstar? Mine has removable v-brake mounts and with the vertical dropouts 32-16 is just right without a tensioner! Depends how tall you are though as they only used to be in 16″. I believe some of them had horizontal dropouts as well. Solid frame and a lot of fun (I actually find mine more fun than the BFe I had)!

mk1fan
    Free Member

c_g

Your mail hasn’t arrived 🙁

tommid
    Free Member

surly 1×1 every time. Had mine for 4 years and I Love it. The original do it all frame.

cinnamon_girl

mk1fan – apologies but have been in bimbo mode. 😳 E-mail just sent.

Dobbo

Nice pic OCB, something about it gets me, must be the cog and chain having an engineering look going on.

moff

Hi, I have an 18″ Kona Unit that’s it time to move on. gunnarmoff ( at ) gmail (.) com if your interested.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

always loved my 1×1 but recently changed it for a bike with proper wheels………….a karate monkey 8)

flashes
    Free Member

I love my Surly 1×1 and early On One v brake only SS. I’ve owned alot of more exotic frames. But these are keepers…….

anono

Surly seems to be getting a lot of postives – but some reports say its a bit lardy? I’m keen to keep the weight (and price) down.

What sort of weight can I expect for a full build without resorting to XTR kit?

anono

wwas – I might have a look at that decade frame as well. They only seem to have the medium frame – what size frame do you have and how tall are you?

wwaswas

6’1″ and I ride a medium.

If you’re anywhere near Hove and wanted to try it for size I’m happy to help.

julianwilson
    Free Member

mike, that vitus you posted looks ace for the money. Full rack/mudguard mounts and 700mm bars (according to the customer reviews), what’s not to like?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Its going to be a second bike for winter/mud

get an inbred and disc brakes.

anono

wwas – thanks for the offer – but I need the smaller size

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘singlespeed frame’ is closed to new replies.