Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Singlespeed Frame
  • andrewmoke
    Free Member

So, here is the deal –

Buying a new bike, primarely for commuting and forest singletrack (pretty flat). The idea is to always commute with the SS set up, and change to alfine if going to the forest (mostly when is wet, if dry i use the FS). I will be running rigid carbon forks.

No special requirements, other than something that is easy to change between SS and Alfine. Very inclined to 26er, but may consider a 29er.

Short list includes (frame only):

Chamealeon
    Salsa Ala Carte
    Surly 1×1
    Genesis IO
    Inbred
    Singular
    Dialled Love/Hate

Votes/ideas? Thanks!

AndrewBF
    Free Member

Cotic Simple? If you can get one. They’ve put manufacture on hold at the moment 🙁

http://www.cotic.co.uk/product/simple

Tom83

I’d vote love/hate, I’m currently riding an albert frame as a ss, and will be swapping to the love/hate when funds allow.

Have you considered the Sanderson Soloist? Good price at Merlin at the mo, and 10% off too.

DWH
    Free Member

I’m very happy with my Surly 1×1. As a single speed it’s fine.

How “easy” do you want it to be to swap it to hub-geared? My definition of easy is less than five minutes and involving no tools or mess.

Also, the Surly only has one set of cable guides so you’ll need some kind of stick-on / cable-tie bodge to run a cable to your hub.

Actually, it’s sounding quite a faff already.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Build a SS and don’t worry about having to have gears at any point.

andrewmoke
    Free Member

I was thinking about this during my run..

All good points so far.

– I have a Soul, and yes, Simples are impossible to get.

– OK, so by simple i mean efficient. Something i can run both SS and Alfine efficiently. Maybe 45 minutes to changes things? Its always a bit of a faff, but hey…

cynic-al
    Free Member

a frame set up for alfine will be quickest.

I know I wouldn’t be assed changing back to ss!

and unless the forest has steep hills the ss should be fine – a good challenge and fitness aid.

JB
    Free Member

If you cant get a Cotic Simple, how about a Sanderson Soloist… lovely lovely frame and now comes in Reynolds 853.

Stoner
    Free Member

I switch between Rohloff and SS on my O-O Ti29er. I find the slotted drop outs easy to work with.

IIRC the Alfine uses slotted axle washers so should be even easier as no torque bar faffing like the Rohloff

Geist
    Free Member

I have a 19″ Oange p7 for sale in the classifieds. which has be to me pretty much the bike you describe.

chewkw
    Free Member

Singular with EBB for not having to mess around with chain tensioner.

🙂

rp16v
    Free Member

soloist here lovley dropouts and piss easy ebb just no cable guids so cable ties are the way forwerds

andrewmoke
    Free Member

Yes, i’ve looked at the soloist as well…is the EBB as good as they say?

rp16v
    Free Member

iv NEVER had a problem had it about 1 1/2 years going in for its respray at end of winter as the white has faded under the layers of mud 😆

postierich
    Free Member

Singular Hummingbird Lush to ride!

Mmmmm Greeness by Richard Munro, on Flickr

andrewmoke
    Free Member

Maaannnn…I still don’t know. Hours and hours of looking at them, only made more confused..

Hummingbird is leading the way but….i like salsa, pace rc104 has lovely drop outs and transam also looks pretty cool. and Surly is great as well. if it wasn’t for the dodgy looking dropouts, i would go Salsa. The trouble is nobody seems to stock them around London and hardly any reviews or comments on those drop outs.

Despite the good reviews, Soloist is out because of colour choice – to similar to what i had/have.

HELP!

BigGraham
    Free Member

Just to disagree with the above if you are switching between ss and alfine regulary go for a slot drop frame you won’t want to be messing with an EBB every time you switch between them. I’ve got a Kenisis Decade Virsa that I run with the slot dropouts and use both an alfine and SS setup like you describe, SS most of the time and alfine for hills and if you run full length outer cable for the alfine and just use zipties to attach it to the frame and have lock on grips it is only 10 mins to switch between them. Almost certainly you will be using different drive ratio’s for the SS and alfine hubs so you will need two chains too, but with a powerlink again it’s super easy to switch between them. If the switching is not frequent then EBB can work but for me it’s just one more thing to adjust and it’s more hassle than just using a chain tug on the SS wheel (you won’t need it on the alfine). Obviously just my 2p worth but EBB can be a lot of work!

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

I love my 1×1, retro looks aren’t to everyone’s taste but it’s hugely capable and handles brilliantly – that said, I do think sticking an Alfine on it may be a bit of a faff due to the lack of cable guides.

Do you really need Alfine for off road if it’s pretty flat?

What about just putting a bigger cog on the back for offroad? I ragged the 1×1 over Exmoor over Christmas in the ice and snow at 32:16 and it was fine with just a few carries, although I’d probably go up to a 17T or 18T if I was riding anywhere really hilly regularly.

carlphillips
    Free Member

i had a slotty inbred which rode lurvely but had some wheel alignment/slipping/twisting issues, so swapped it for a love/hate with phil wood EBB….put in do up and forget it…its ace and mike was doing a bargaintastic “phone me with an offer and i’ll think about” it deal on love/hate frames as they aren’t being made any more.
    great frame for hacking around on…
    my buddy rides a sanderson soloist and that’s a nice bike too…

Tom83

fatmuthahubbard

Is that the current frame? Or the mk1?

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Pic of my 1×1… not that I want to confuse you more.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

I actually have a Cotic Simple for sale, don’t know whether it’s your size or not, but let me know

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/cotic-simple-frame-16-black-with-wrap-graphic-1

carlphillips
    Free Member

@tom well ive had mine ~6months now so the current one im guessing?

Tom83

Might have to bing Mike an email then it seems!

Tom83

fatmuthahubbard You got mail!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Dialled Love/Hate…

Fantastic bit of kit.. Love mine

ken_shields
    Free Member

Sanderson Soloist…ebb is great and frames are really nicely finished

takisawa2

My slidey Inbred runs SS & 1×9 geared. Two rear wheels, two chains & rear mech & shifter all cabled up ready. Swaps over quickly, ok not 5 mins, but easily in 10. Trying to lash-up a matchmaker clamp so shifter goes on quicker. Avid tri-align caliper is good for taking care of disc misalignment. Trying to get one of those simple chain keeper things also, but its working well. Also, swap to a solid axle with old fashioned nuts, saves using a chain tug.

andrewmoke
    Free Member

Got home last night after ingesting a sheer amount of alcohol and whilst admiring the beautiful lines of the bike I am building I thought to myself – it will be an Ala Carte. Or Chameleon. Or Hummingbird.
    Woke up this morning thinking that Ala Carte will be, and now all this stuff from you guys to confuse me.
    C’mon, pictures of Ala Carte to kill the dog! Why are they so not popular? That’s what is putting me off!

mefster
    Free Member

Another vote for the Love/Hate.

Bought one three years for family workhorse/trailer-pulling duties. It’s a Mk 1 with the mech hanger and has proved to be really versatile. I’ve run it SS rigid and with suspension, and last year added a rear mech with zip-tied full outered cabling to help now my passenger is getting heavier! I opted for a mech rather than Alfine as it didn’t need a new wheel and I think is easier to get the wheel off to repair punctures.

It’s probaly been the best bike I’ve owned and gets much more use that the others. The EBB is really easy to adjust.

andrewmoke
    Free Member

mefster – the last thing i needed! They do look good.. :mrgreen:

sm500
    Free Member

I know its not to everyones taste but its cheap to ss, run gears or alfine. great little bikehttp://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff438/sm500/PC270946.jpg%5B/IMG%5D%5Dnull

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed Frame’ is closed to new replies.