Viewing 11 posts - 121 through 131 (of 131 total)
  • single speed why?
  • tomlevell

ivantate – Member
    should an SS have suspension and how much is acceptable?

there really aren't any rules…

32:16
    It's the law.

Rorschach
    Free Member

unless you got wagonwheels…then its 32/17.7 sommit

molgrips
    Free Member

a team of us in SITS '08 all with singlespeeds and mud tyres could carry on while many of those with Britneys had to resort to carrying their broken steeds round the course over their shoulder- by far the best example of SSing positives.

I fared better than almost every other rider I saw. On an Orange 5 with gears 🙂

shortcut

I like the excuse to have an extra bike or two. I like winding people up. I like the fact that I get on well with singlespeed and can ride up most stuff. I like the fact it takes me less time to clean it that a geared bike. I like the way the chain is so far away from the back tyre it doesn't really get muddy.

And I am now liking singlespeedrigid29ering!

But yes – if there is a really big fast ride to be done you will see me on the Superlight or if there are some more rocky, exciting, technical scarey trails then I will be on the 5 Spot with some nice wide tyres and heavier wheels.

Mounty_73

Any suggestions for a single speed, a budget of around £500.

I have been toying with the idea of a singlespeed on and off….it would be a good thing for my local trails, as its a mud fest in the winter!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Part of the appeal is that it definitely winds up certain twunts, and you don't need to be in the stereotype of the twunts that actually wind them up.

Oh and it's fun.

tomlevell

unless you got wagonwheels…then you should be put out of your misery

Fixed that for you.

ericemel
    Free Member

Other than beach crusiers and BMXs, I bought my first singlespeed mtb about 10 years ago when my girlfriend started riding so she could keep up with me. My god it was the best riding decision I have ever made, I absolutely love riding them now and only own one geared bike which is for sale as I never ride it. (Bought it last year since everyone gives me crap for riding SS).

I cannot explain why I like it so much, the simplicity, not even having to think about gears – crunches and slips, a directness you don't get with gears. For me it's just awesome, I never seem to be behind the geared riders and I even happily did the Southdowns in 2 days last weekend on one no worries.

Yes I ride with discs and suspension.

The one and only time I have struggled was a 120 miles one day trip on a SS road bike.

I am very curious to try a internal hub though.

singlespeedstu

cynic-al – Member

Part of the appeal is that it definitely winds up certain twunts

You know Al i'd never thought about that part of it.

Might have to give it a go now though. 😉

drofluf
    Free Member

I bought a single-speed road bike last year because I didn't want to ship my good bike to the States. As city commuter, in flat places like London or New York at least, it's ideal and has become my winter bike of choice.

I find I work harder on it than a geared bike Do Gears Cause Laziness? and it probably kept me fitter but for longer distances I prefer a geared bike.

How this translates to the mtb road I don't know….

LapSteel
    Free Member

Any singlespeeders in Rossendale?

Ive been thinking about converting my old Timberline but a bit worried about all the hills

Viewing 11 posts - 121 through 131 (of 131 total)

The topic ‘single speed why?’ is closed to new replies.