Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Single speed specific hardtail frame suggestions?
  • scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Looking for a singlespeed specific hardtail frame which meets the following conditions:

Low(ish) BB
    I want to run around 100mm of travel
    fairly tough as I want to jump and drop it
    17″ frame size preferably
    slot dropouts
    comfortable as this will also be my commuter
    Fairly cheap
    Can be purchased as a frame only

Any ideas? Steel/aluminium I’m not fussed.

Want to run it as a fun bike at weekends during the winter and also for a 10 mile commute from work.

_tom_
    Free Member

Cotic Simple perhaps? There’s a video somewhere (maybe even on the cotic site) of somebody jumping and dropping theirs!

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Yeah cheers, thought of one of those, but was hoping for a lower BB.

flashes
    Free Member

That’s an On One out as well then. I love mine. Brill for the money.

saladdodger
    Free Member

Inbred had one brilliant bang for yer buck

Now got a Simple and I am one happy bunny

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

This frame would be replacing a slot dropout inbred.

oxym0r0n

10 mile commute to work, singlespeed and capable of doing jumps and drops 😯

I think you might be trying to tick too many boxes. I commute 9 miles on a SS with slicks and run 44:16 – anything much less and I would be spinning out quite quickly. I wouldn’t want to be running an off-road ratio and a heavier frame for that sort of distance.

Having said that – try DMR or Santa-Cruz Chameleon??

julianwilson
    Free Member

You need to look at whether the frame is 100mm travel cos its a park/street bike or because it’s a 100mm xc bike with no gears. I really wouldn’t be expecting a simple, inbred, io, love/hate etc to like being jumped and dropped.

Not slot dropout (sliding dropouts, best of both worlds IMO) and not light, but if you are 6 foot or less then an identiti mr hyde would be proper good. You’ll certainly have a harder job snapping it than any of the ones i mentioed above. And the large size is 17″ with 23.5″ top tube for actually being able to ride it any distance too.

tk46hal
    Free Member

On One!

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Hmm, was interested in the Mr Hyde but noticed the 13.2″ BB height… 😯

oxymoron – my commute isn’t on road, and I use a 32:16 quite happily.

si-wilson
    Free Member

Chumba hx1? Ebb though.

url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/93388219@N00/5370159941/][/url]
    Chumba HX1 by srbwilson, on Flickr

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Some form of DMR (old trailstar for cheap)
    Santa Cruz chameleon
    Evil Sovereign
    Identiti AKA

rp16v
    Free Member

the trailstar would be a good choice but if u can see past the slot dropout for somthing nicer then sanderson soloist is the way forward iv treated mine like a big bmx from day 1 and its great fun.

colournoise

With the right ratio (IIRC I used a 36:16 or 38:16) on there I reckon the Trailstar is as good a call as you’ll get for a singlespeed hack/commuter/playbike.

Ran my old mk2 SS with 100mm forks and semi-slicks at one point – very usable, totally commutable and tough as the proverbial old nails.

(I also have a Mr Hyde as it happens – top frame for AM hardtail use but possibly overkill for a do-it-all commuter SS).

slainte 😀 rob

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Surly 1×1 without question. Comfy for longer rides, tough as old boots, rides like a big BMX, top fun.

Out of my cold, dead hands etc….

_tom_
    Free Member

My older Trailstar LT can be ran 32-16 without a tensioner 🙂 An older model would probably be a good idea as they were made for shorter travel and also had slot dropouts on some. New ones do have swopouts but are designed for 130mm travel.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Single speed specific hardtail frame suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.