Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • SINGLE SPEED SET-UP ?
  • TheSlider
    Free Member

Thinking about setting my ‘runaround’ (on and offroad) to single speed but what’s best at the back ? 15, 16 or 18 ? And up front ? 32, 34 ?
    Also I’ll need a chain device I guess, anything else ? Recommended chain ?
    It’s for a Cannondale Chase, if that helps. Cheers guys….

wildrnes
    Free Member

depends where you live really
    i started on 32 16
    now run 32 18 and use a half link chain

jonb
    Free Member

how hilly, how much offroad and how much on road. I do some fairly steep hills on the road and manage 42:16, spin out at in the mid 20’s mph.

Off road that’s a too big a gear to use although I can manage tow paths.

jonb
    Free Member

I’d get a 34 up front and then a 14,16,18 sprocket set from ebay (about a tenner) before deciding which one you like.

qwerty
    Free Member

53:11 is a mans gear

qwerty
    Free Member

scrap that – THIS is a mans gear:

epicyclo

qwerty – Member
    scrap that – THIS is a mans gear:

That’s his mountainbike – you should see his road bike 🙂

squattingmouse
    Free Member

Have used – 34:16 (great round herts/thetford forest), 32:16 (bit of a compromise for me), now using 34:18 round Devon (Woodbury mostly) as I’ve turned into more of a spinner than a stomper.

You’ll probably want to tinker with your gears as you go. My first set ups were dictated by chainstay length rather than desired ratio.

TheSlider
    Free Member

Cheers guys. Good idea jonb about the e-bay bit. I’ve tried just sticking to one gear on a ‘geared’ bike but I always end up cheating, so I’m thinking, if I actually bite the bullet and set it up I’ll have no choice.
    Okay, maybe no knees left…..????

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

single speed gearing is a personal thing, some fast guys like shaggy, Phil, and the LaLondes all use around 55 inches( around 34×16 ) but equally fast guys like Buck Keich use 34×18, so its what ever you prefer to push, spin, mash, whatever your legs can handle…..

mentalalex
    Free Member

32:16 here.

I spin out at 28mph, well I can’t go any faster than that. but i only really use it at Cannock,

if your starting i would say 32:17 and work your way up

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘SINGLE SPEED SET-UP ?’ is closed to new replies.