Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Single Speed Rear Wheels
  • Clobber
    Free Member

Having tried singlespeeding for a couple of weeks I have broken the freehub on my Halo Freedom wheel on which I’d put a DMR SS kit.

Whilst searching for a replacement, I read this in their literature…

“Halo do not advise to run chains “tight” when using a cassette hub for Single Speed type use, as this will cause undue strain on the freewheel bearings, that are only designed to operate under minimal chain load from sprung gear mechanisms

What rear wheels are good for singlespeeding bearing in mind that I need sturdy wheels (I bend wheels a lot…)

Any advice appreciated, No prizes for the obvious answer: “Use gears and shave your beard off…”

Ringo
    Free Member

When I first started singlespeeding I used a hope pro2 I gave this lots of abuse and its still ok. I use a proper ss job now though as I can’t see me using gears again for a long time

firestarter
    Free Member

I used to use surly ss specific but I now only use normal hubs with spacers on. It’s better I think as you can adjust chainline dead easy and even carry some other ratio ones on the hub if you fancy. Also cassette cogs are cheaper . I’m currently running a deore an xt and a pro two all ss and no problems.

Clobber
    Free Member

Ringo, more info please, what is your proper ss job?

FS, maybe try it on my hope XC hubs, but I heard the ss cogs tear through the hope freehub outer body.

firestarter
    Free Member

I use surly cogs on it and no problems as its thick infact causes less damage than my old cassette did .

cynic-al
    Free Member

xtr here, works fine.

Only hubs with alloy freehub bodies get shewed by ss cogs, and even then you can buy ones with a wider base to avoid this.

Clobber
    Free Member

So surly/wide based cogs on hope xc should be fine… I’ll try that. But would still like some recommendations for a ss specific rear wheel please…

TheSwede
    Free Member

Clobber, hope do a trials hub which is single speed specific with a steel free hub so cogs don’t eat in to it as much. Its a bit beefier internally to cope ssing but yeah, wide base cogs will be better on a geared hub.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Clobber, I have a Bontrager SS hub. It’s a bit heavy but the one on my Dad’s SS has been trouble-free for a couple of years. I bought it off here for peanuts, worth considering IMO over the DMR/Surly/On-One freewheel hubs.

Clobber
    Free Member

Thanks for the hub tips, but if I’m changing hubs I think I’d have to buy a wheel, I’ve replaced spokes and trued wheels but not built a wheel up before.

Clembo
    Free Member

I use a ProII SS hub, great bit of kit.

Before that I used my Hope XC hub with spacers and a Gusset cog with no problems. However, I did have a steel freehub body fitted which helps with wear from he cog.

Ringo
    Free Member

I use a Paul comp ss hub with white industry freewheel its a good setup

Hairychested
    Free Member

Clobber, buy a wheel as it’s cheaper. All I’m saying is there are cheap and reliable options slightly left of the centre.

Aidan
    Free Member

I use Pro 2 SS hubs with Surly or On-One cogs. The Hope hubs do come with spacers that allow some chainline adjustment and they perform really well.

In fact, I’ve got one to sell. I had one on a 26″ wheel that was pretty worn out (years old, lots of miles). Hope replaced all the knackered bits the other weeks and I’m riding 29″ wheels these days so it’s going spare. Drop me an email if you’re interested.

Having said all that, I think Halo are probably just covering their arses a bit. SS chains don’t need to be b*stard tight anyway.

Clobber
    Free Member

Aidan, Halo are probably covering their arse but within 2 weeks of me swapping the wheel to ss, the hub broke… Not sure what you’re selling, is is just a hope pro 2 ss hub? or built into a wheel?

Hairychested, which one?

Aidan
    Free Member

Clobber – it’s just the hub. Black Pro 2 SS 32h. The waffle about wheel sizes was really to make the point that it’s a perfectly fine hub and explain why I ended up with a redundant hub.

I’ve got another the same in my 29″ rear wheel.

Militant_biker

I ran an old Hope screw on SS specific hub for years, but had to give it up when I wanted disc brakes. I went all out and bought a White Industries ENO disc hub to go with my existing WI ENO freewheel, and built it up by hand…

Pricy? Yes

Shiny? Yes

🙂

Hairychested
    Free Member

I’ll check it later as I have a spare hub somewhere in the box. Might be a race but I am unsure at the moment.

AntM
    Free Member

+1 the Hope trails/SS hub. Built it up myself with a DT4.2D rim. Great piece of kit with a great sound too.

flashes
    Free Member

I was running a Shimano SS freewheel, it died, replaced it with a White Industries, that died too. Meanwhile my proper winter bike runs a SS kit on a shimano hub, 3 years all weathers, fine, just converted the other bikes…..

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Single Speed Rear Wheels’ is closed to new replies.