Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Single speed or Rohloff full sus? any out there?
  • Sancho
    Free Member

Just wondered if anyone makes one and if they are available.

singlespeedstu

Kona “A” if you can get one.
    Kona Cowan.
    Lenze Milkmoney.

Sancho
    Free Member

Damn that Lenz is ugly

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

Nicolai helius can be built with Rohloff.

Nicknoxx
    Free Member
    Superficial
    Free Member

You already know that you can use any old frame you like with a tensioner, right?

To get one without a tensioner, you’ll need one where the BB is within the main pivot. This has some disadvantages when it comes to suspension design, though, as you’re limited to single pivot designs with the pivot in a compromised position – it’s likely to bob quite badly. Commencal did a nice-looking one, not sure if they still do.

TiRed

Airnimal Rhino, if you like small wheels.

julianwilson
    Free Member

For heavy but ‘rad’, see also: DMR bolt, Cove G-spot

A few folk on here have ‘normal’ full suspension frames as singlespeeds with sprung chain tensioners or bodged rear derailleurs too.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

3 things you need –

1) Some way of transferring torque to the frame. The Rohloff ‘OEM’ dropout is the most elegant and is built to handle the stress. A ‘speedbone’ which attaches to the brake bosses is the other. Rarely causes issues but can.

2) A way to tension the chain. Either
    – sliding dropouts and a pivot around the BB so no change in chain length. Restricts you to a very small number of frames and compromises suspension design
    – A chain tensioner (and some sort of chainguide at the front). Rohloff’s parts work well and last a long time. Very rarely dump the chain with them – the only issue is clearance between the guide and cranks with some crank/chainring combinations.

3) some way to route the cables. For light shifting you want as smooth a route as possible – under the bb and under the chainstay normally works best. Cable ties/stick on guides will work but for elegance best built with the frame.

Nicolai, of course, offer OEM dropouts and Rohloff cable routing as no cost options on all of our frames.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

My Kona A is lovely.
    Looking very similar to Nicknoxx’s but singlespeed and with a belt:

DSC_0093 by ir_bandito, on Flickr

ijs445ra
    Free Member

I used to run a Rohloff on a Foes FXR

Used Speedbone with a Rohloff chain tensioner which worked very well. Did not have a chain device and rarely had any problems.

Foes did not have Rohloff cable routing but as long as cable bends are not too tight shifting should be fine.

Awful pic, chain is not even on FFS 🙄

Stoner
    Free Member

Ive just machined* myself a monkeybone for my Scandal. Id previously hacked my speedbone for use on the On-One slotted drop outs (where the brake mounts are inside the rear triangle, meaning the speedbone wont fit as required).

But a new one for the scandal (with mounts in the normal position on the outside of the rear triangle) would cost £35+. A monkey bone is $35+ from the US. So an £8 adaptor, grinder, files, pillar drill and a lot of cursing and Al swarf later:
    [img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-FXqCL03Z_IQ/TtYDcfHfdAI/AAAAAAAAA7s/fg57oMzOagE/s400/IMAG0473.jpg[/img]

avdave2
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Solid Flare?

letmetalktomark

IMHO one of the best looking*.

5” travel
    URT
    Steel
    29er

More here

*Runs off to hide from the sticks and rocks being thrown

Stoner
    Free Member

why dont URT designers just put some effort into a damped suspended seatpost that could be used in any HT frame instead?

letmetalktomark

Stoner – Member

why dont URT designers just put some effort into a damped suspended seatpost that could be used in any HT frame instead?

Not a fan Mr S?

I agree that these are a bit marmite …. but I look marmite 😉

Seems a straightforward way to make SS full sus frames look tidy

letmetalktomark

Stoner – Member

BTW I take it you mean:

😛

Stoner
    Free Member

Never liked them since I saw my first Maverick 🙂

It might look more appealing if they could try and maintain a straight DT line from HT to BB. Looks like a mongoose Teocali which suffered the same aesthetic tree falling…..

Stoner
    Free Member

Not quite what I mean 😉

thinking more like a thudbuster, but in a cylinder design a bit like an uppydowny post.

letmetalktomark

Stoner – Member

Not quite what I mean

Give over a Thudbuster will never take off like the Softride ………

Oh wait …… 😆

flyingmonkeycorps

I’ll have an old G-Spot frame for sale quite cheap soon…

thepodge
    Free Member

I have an Alfine on my trance

the frame has just over one link of chain growth which the superstar tensioner seems to manage.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Single speed or Rohloff full sus? any out there?’ is closed to new replies.