Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • single speed evil?
  • joemetcalfm
    Free Member

i finally did it. the evil has gone single speed. took it out last night and it was pretty fun. its weird. i was spinning out quite a bit on the downs. im running 36/18. any advice?

Militant_biker

Looks good! 36:18 is spot on for most all round riding. I think most people still run 2:1, I certainly always have.

Yes you’ll spin out on the downs. It’s choosing between that or really struggling on the ups, especially with flat pedals.

Hotpoint washing machine – has it broken yet?

joemetcalfm
    Free Member

eye, 2:1 is ok. its still a bit tricky on some of the big climbs. i guess its always a trade off. im going to put some smaller tyres on and maybe its a little less knee popping.

hotpoint is still good after 2 years….. 😉

cheers x

kudos100
    Free Member

Pull it apart and start again 😉

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Welcome to the fold <Evil cackle>.

2:1 is the classic offroad ratio, although most folk do 32:16.

You will spin out on the downs until you learn that brakes are over-rated. It’s all about maintaining momentum.

Oh and you definitely want to get rid of those big bouncy things on the front.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

And the parkie (sic) flooring. It bulges when it gets wet.

Militant_biker

Oh and you definitely want to get rid of those big bouncy things on the front.

I dunno. I ran a SS with a set of Pikes on the front, it was a lot of fun! You wanna maintain momentum? That much travel will help keep you ploughing through stuff.

Grunting up the climbs with them flopping about was less fun, I grant you that, but on balance, I preferred suspension to rigid.

joemetcalfm
    Free Member

i cant stand the flooring in the kitchin. its those knight tiles. although it looks bad its dam hard wearing. we have lived here for 8 years and it was old when we got the house. water dosent get under them. im dreading the day i have to pull them up!

breaks are for when you need to stop at the bottom of the hill arnt they?

and im a wuss im keeping the bouncy things on the front…..

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

breaks are for when you need to stop at the bottom of the hill arnt they?

Not if you’ve got another hill coming up 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘single speed evil?’ is closed to new replies.