Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • single speed chain recommendation
  • tterry

Hi, i'm currenly running a PC950 chain on my single speed and it needs replacing. Was thinking about a more heavy duty chain that is less prone to stretching.
    Has anyone used the wippermann 1z1? Is it worth going for a bmx chain or any other recommendations?

The bike has an acs freewheel, no chain device and blackspire chain ring.

Thanks,

Tim

Hairychested
    Free Member

The KMC chain is good IME.

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

KMC in whatever width you need. Probably 3/32"

OCB
    Free Member

I use Gusset Slink chains on two of my SS's, (but still 3/32).

On my Surly ring'd Kona it's great, but on my ACS equipped Pompino it's horrible. They are both fitted exactly the same way around (which is to say 'properly'), and the tension / chainline is fine – but they still feel really different. (I suspect (as I've been typing this) that the ACS freewheel doesn't have the teeth length of the Surly, so lets the chain skip a little bit perhaps).

Not really helped you much tho' as replies go has it … 🙁

(I've ignored my other SS, as it's on an old, worn-out, unknown chain from about 100 years ago. (I suspect an old dead HG50 got thrown on there in a hurry).

It's completely horrible tho', so I'll watch this thread for a recommended replacement.)

😉

carlphillips
    Free Member

kmc again here

yesiamtom
    Free Member

KMC 1/8th on my fixie and a wipperman 808 on my SS mountain bike. The 808 is much quieter although neither are that noisy tbh. Im probably going to run a kmx 1/8th on my mountain bike aswell as its half the price.

MisterT

I found BMX chains a royal pain. they are not made as good as quality 8 speed chains from SRAM imo.

s1m0n
    Free Member

Just bought a KMC chain wih half link from Charlie BM – been very impressed so far. Much smoother than previous cheapys.

Rorschach
    Free Member
    tterry

Thanks for the advice, i'll give a kmc 1/8" a go.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘single speed chain recommendation’ is closed to new replies.