• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by Sam.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Single Speed
  • dux
    Free Member

Now then, i’m thinking an converting an old GT into a singlespeed for commuter use. I’ve seen some kits on the net ranging from 16-50 quid. Has anyone out there got any advice for me if you did the same. I’ve looked at Charliethebikemonger.co.uk for kits but don’t know where to start or what i really need
    Any help greatfully received

Dux

thepodge
    Free Member

you need either a whole new rear single speed wheel or some spacers and a cog plus a tensioner. simple as that.

taka
    Free Member

easy but some kits only fit cirten size hubs i had a 7 speed hub and the kit wouldnt fit coz it was a 9 spd one

robbo1234biking

I did mine really cheap – just got a gusset single speed converter, and a singulator chain tensioner device from someone on here and shortened the chain.

Something like this on your rear sprocket to make it look better:

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=13844

Or you can use the spacers from an old cassette to do the same thing.

Chain tensioner like this:

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=8823

And on the front just use some single chain ring bolts and remove the large and small chain rings. If you buy the parts above new then your looking at about £50 but put a wtd add in the classifieds and people may have what you need

mema
    Free Member

My singlespeed ws built up at the weekend using conversion kit from chain reaction for around £25 (would need to have a look to see which one) and on the front an old chin ring was used.
    First ride was on sunday, sunday night I was completely nackered but was smiling ear to ear!

dux
    Free Member

Thanks for the help you lot, seems an easier conversion than i thought. Robbo1234biking cheers for the links. Should be SSing to work after Easter

oxym0r0n

Just give a bit of consideration to gear choice – what is fine off-road (32/16 being the “accepted norm”) gets very spinny on the road.

I use a 44t big ring in the middle ring position and 16t on the back with slicks for commuting around rolling Somerset…

Oh, and some people think chain line is important too

dux
    Free Member

Thanks for that but i live in Lancashire where we have them proper hills. Plus my ride to work isn’t all road, thanks for the heads up though

MrK
    Free Member

when i did it i just used a regular casette and a rear mech with a cable from the barrel adjustor to the clamp bolt to keep it on a middle sprocket. easy! some get nicked the bike though. grrr

geoffj

dux – if your 7 speed block is a screw on, then you wont be able to use the standard spacer kits. I know this because I tried it 🙁

Sam

if your 7 speed block is a screw on

Then you have the best solution of all. Screw on bmx freewheel, shift some axle spacers around, re-dish the wheel and you’re away.

How old is your GT? Does it have horizontal or semi-horizontal dropouts?

zaskar
    Free Member

Just done mine and had enough of spinning out on the way to the trail.

Just ordered a road cassette.

It’s fun when you hit the trail but I have 4 miles of roading to the trail at jogging speed.

You’ll like it though! (fun building/riding)

geoffj

re-dish the wheel and you’re away.

You make it sound all so simple 😯

Sam

You make it sound all so simple

For anyone with patience, a spoke key and the ability to read, it is.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Single Speed’ is closed to new replies.