Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Single ring or double
  • Highland28
    Free Member

I currently run a double bash on my Iron horse Mk3, i am however replacing the frame with an ibis mojo and am contemplating removing my inner chain ring. I know the mojo is a more xc related bike but i will mainly be using it trails. I am a fairly fit person who likes to go for it on the ups aswell as downs, so what do you guys think. Would it be worthwhile?

Cheers

andy7t2
    Free Member

do you ever use your bottom 3 gears if yes keep the two rings if no go single ring

Jeffus
    Free Member

I’ve been running a single for 12months+ started with a 36 front and a 32-11 rear hurt my knees changed to a 32 spins out way to easy, have settled on a 34, usually climb most thing with this set up a 34-11 rear would probably be more sensible.. 😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Highland28
    Free Member

I was thinking a 34 ring with either a 32-34/11 cassette, the 34-11 would allow give me the easier option for climbing the really steep hills, i am just not sure as you dont see many FS with single front chain rings for trail riding, why is this?

Northwind

What I’ve found with single ring is that I can get a setup that either allows me to climb everything I want to climb, or go as fast as I want on descents, but not both. Fitness/strength issue that but I reckon a lot of people would find the same, I’m no cycling god but I’m probably in the averages.

“andy7t2 – Member

do you ever use your bottom 3 gears if yes keep the two rings if no go single ring”

Or, gear up maybe.

rustler
    Free Member

1×10 with a 11-36t should be ok.

Highland28
    Free Member

I would love to go 1×10 but there is no way i can afford to get a a new mech a shifter aswell, seen as i need a new chain ring(s) cassette, bb, and have just spent alot on a new frame. Not at the moment anyway.

Angry-pirate
    Free Member

keep the 2, i ride with just a 32t up front and i find there are instances where i could do with dropping it down a ring, its rare that ive found it that big a problem but its lead me to put a 22t on aswell

cynic-al
    Free Member

OP “worthwhile” – in what way…what are you gaining?

Confirmed triple fan here, even if I have to lug all that extra weight around, past buddies on roads or walking up steep climbs.

Garry_Lager

I rode without the granny for years and have just gone back to a triple to see what it’s like – wide spaced cassette at the back. My experience is that the few ratios you get at the bottom generally didn’t make much difference for me. If I can’t make a climb in 34×34, then I’m probably not making it full stop. Can’t think of any climb locally where the gears have really been the limiting factor, although I can think of a few where fitness has.

The granny is only really essential for sustained climbing off-road IMO. Like riding up a ski-slope or something – nose on the stem and spin the legs for an hour. We have very few climbs like this in the UK, although they do exist.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I found I never used the 22 no matter where I was riding. I did however use the 42t a lot. just by way of experiment I have a single 38t ring on at the mo with an 11-36 but this is on 10s. my other bike (Meta 4) has just been dropped to a 36t with 11-34 cassette.

It’s been to Coed y Brenin, the Peaks, Cannock and raced at the Gorrick last weekend and I find the gearing perfect, I was worried about spinning out on the decents but tbh it never happened and it was plenty low enough to get up everything I needed, including my half arsed attempt at riding up Jacobs Ladder.

njee20
    Free Member

I never used the 22 no matter where I was riding.

+1

You so have so little momentum that I dont find it of any use. I’m trying 36t single ring with 11-36 for this season, reckon it’ll be fine. I’d worry that going smaller would be a pain on the road, but if you never ride on the road you’re laughing.

Personal though really at the end of the day, no one can tell you what gear you can push. I’m not sure a 38t would work for me, but then B-S is a rather handy rider!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Single ring or double’ is closed to new replies.