Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • single ply vs dual ply- highrollers?
  • walla24
    Free Member

would like to save the weight but have literally never had a flat with the dual ply, how do you guys get on with single ply?

traildog
    Free Member

I get on fine but I weight less than 10 stone. Inner tube quality obviously plays a part.

kimbers

ive had pinch flats in the alps-megavalanche and in rockier parts of wales with single plys but i still kind of prefer them because they are loads lighter!

grumm
    Free Member

Used dual ply for the Mega and had the back one left on for a while afterwards. Didn't think it was too bad but when I took it off and put on a single ply tyre the bike instantly felt way lighter and more sprightly.

I used to get loads of pinch flats but since going tubeless (ghetto and Stan's) I've never had a problem with single ply tyres.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

I've seen some scary photos of dual ply that have delaminated when used tubeless with sealant

walla24
    Free Member

hmmm interesting, maybe time to go tubeless!? everywhere i ride in wales is razor sharp tho…

walla24
    Free Member

what is the weight difference anyways, ~400g?

nosedive
    Free Member

I run single ply on the front and dual ply on the back, the dual ply is a big fat beast. I would agree, about 400g heavier. I've never had a single flat though, pinch or otherwise.

I think if you run tubeless prob OK with a singleply as long as you avoid those silly LUST things or the eXception that have the thin walls.

I'm going to stick to dual on the back of the hardtail as I am heavy and have little talent for riding smoothly. on my full sus I seem to get away with a lighter tyre on the back

walla24
    Free Member

yeah good point, this is for my hardtail…and i weigh a fair bit. its nice knowing that you wont get a flat no matter what, worth the weight maybe.

nasher
    Free Member

I have been using dual ply ith normal tubes here in italy…which is alpine terrain

however been dabling using single ply with tubeless rims and liquid and so far no problems, although i run a slightly harder pressure than normal.

walla24
    Free Member

talk about irony…just had a blow out on that tyre! happy to be in one piece!

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

I use single ply for all day rides in the dark peak and they're fine.

However, I once tried an uplift day with them and flatted within the first rocky drop. . . Although I do weigh fifteen stone!

Generally I find single ply tough enough for everything apart from DH . .

walla24
    Free Member

yeah same weight here, tyres on the hardtail do have to take some abuse to be fair

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

Well if you get a kevlar bead single ply the difference is over 600g per tyre!
    I run the kevlar single ply highrollers with flow rims tubeless, never had a problem. Before a ran the same tyres with 721s with tubes and rarely had problems (odd pinch here and there). I often ride quite rocky fast stuff, but when i go out for the mega will be putting a 2ply on the rear just in case!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘single ply vs dual ply- highrollers?’ is closed to new replies.