Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 222 total)
  • Simple Photoshop CS5 question…
  • simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I open a .jpg file and edit it, then when I click "save" I have to:
    a) select .jpg not .psd (the default)
    b) click 'save'
    c) confirm I want to overwrite existing file
    d) click OK for quality/format
    e) confirm I don't want to save it again when I try to close it

isn't there a way to condense all that into one 'save' click ?

ton

barnes……..you ok.
    not seen or heared from you for a while.

Talkemada
    Free Member

That's because he's been playing with CS5! 😀

Spensive…

trailmonkey

ctrl/S maybe ?

MrSmith
    Free Member

write an action?

GrahamS

Mmmmm multiple edits to JPGs?
    One way to ensure you lose quality and gain compression artifacts.

Sorry, nothing helpful to add, not downloaded legitimately paid for it yet. 🙂

Talkemada
    Free Member

Heh!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Mmmmm multiple edits to JPGs?
    One way to ensure you lose quality and gain compression artifacts.

no, a single complete edit 🙂

Sorry, nothing helpful to add, not downloaded legitimately paid for it yet.

I'm still working with the trial download, having resisted Adobe software for the last decade 🙂

LuckyJim
    Free Member

You adding layers? On older versions of PS that's a sure way to make it default to .psd.

As for asking you whether you want to overwrite existing file… better it does than not! If you ever accidentally save over half a day's work you'll understand.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Are you editing and optimising bottoms, Simon?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

As for asking you whether you want to overwrite existing file… better it does than not

I disagree, I have the raw files saved as originals, and if I had intermediaries I'd save those separately. I don't want a program asking me if I want to do what I've just told it to do 100 times a day.

And yes, I'm using layers, which is the recommended method now.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Are you editing and optimising bottoms, Simon?

… there might be a few 🙂

MrSmith
    Free Member

you can't save layers with a jpeg?
    why not just save-as (ctrl shift-S) and give the edited image another name. then don't save when closing the image.

LuckyJim
    Free Member

Jpg as a format doesn't cope with layers. Flatten your image (shift+command+e) first and it won't ask you all the questions.

Kevevs
    Free Member

tersliiiiide!

GrahamS

no, a single complete edit

Eh?

If you're opening a JPG, changing it and then re-saving it then you'll be introducing compression artifacts and losing quality.

It's still a multiple edit because it has been saved more than one.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

If you're opening a JPG, changing it and then re-saving it then you'll be introducing compression artifacts and losing quality.

OK, but if I'm then posting it on the web then I hardly care, do I ?

Flatten your image (shift+command+e) first and it won't ask you all the questions.

thanks, but it still asks me about the level of compression every time 🙁

MrSmith
    Free Member

write an action then or is the 'save for web' command still in cs5? (not upgraded yet)

Talkemada
    Free Member

Kevevs – Member
    tersliiiiide!

Waterslide?

You're not in the Rhyl Sun Centre now Kev…

LuckyJim
    Free Member

I disagree, I have the raw files saved as originals, and if I had intermediaries I'd save those separately. I don't want a program asking me if I want to do what I've just told it to do 100 times a day.

And yes, I'm using layers, which is the recommended method now.

Just re-read that. If you know best, why exactly are you asking for help? 🙄

If you don't want separate versions, fine, but you'll have to sacrifice the future edit/undoability (and quality) that comes from keeping at least one layered psd.

Compression level should persist according to whatever you last chose when you saved something, so if you don't care too much, you only need to hit 'return' when it asks you. Too busy to extend your right pinkie for 1/4 of a second?

stuartie_c
    Free Member

What LuckyJim said.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

If you know best, why exactly are you asking for help?

because I want the program to do what I tell it, is that too much to ask ? I'm used to 'save' meaning save, not umpteen confirmations

you only need to hit 'return' when it asks you. Too busy to extend your right pinkie for 1/4 of a second?

not when I have to do it 100 times. I want it to remember my choice and not ask again until I tell it I want to change it. Dialogs you always click through are an elementary user interface gaffe, they don't actually offer any safety because you stop reading them 🙁

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

As for "save to web", every time I select that it warns me I may run out of memory (on a 6GB machine) and asks me to click OK with no option not to tell me again. Grrrr!

Now I want to crop a 225×150 pixel thumbnail, but as I drag the marquee there's no indication of the crop size 🙁

singletrackhor
    Free Member

Crop size is shown in the info window.

jpg will need recompressing everytime you alter/save the image.

6gb ram is a fair chunk, how much free space on the drive, photoshop uses the ram available then the hd space as memory after that.

hth

GrahamS

Are you on 64-bit OS with 64-bit Photoshop?

If so then I can't see why it'd be short on memory unless you have something else huge open.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Think Photoshop lite might be the answer for you, takes all the grown ups stuff out of the equation 😉

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

jpg will need recompressing everytime you alter/save the image.

yes, so I only do it once 🙂

6gb ram is a fair chunk, how much free space on the drive

695GB

Are you on 64-bit OS with 64-bit Photoshop?

yes 🙂

Think Photoshop lite might be the answer for you, takes all the grown ups stuff out of the equation

I need maximum power Igor:) What I don't expect is elementary user interface faults in software which costs over £600 a pop!

flipiddy
    Free Member

Whenever trying to save a high-res image via the save to web option, it will come up with a warning message.

In theory, I would resize the image to a sensible pixel size before saving as an optimised image via save for web. Otherwise you can save as a standard jpg via file>save as, without the warning in file>save for web.

Overall it sounds like an automated action would be the best process.

To do this open up the Actions window. Create a new action. Then go through the resize/save process you have been having to do each time (it is recording what you are doing). When done, click the stop button. This should automate the process into a one-click job, unless you have specific requirements for each image.

Any use?

M6TTF
    Free Member

Lol – fair enough. Guess the reason is you won't always want to use the same compression settings on each image you open and save. As has been said, you could set up a default action that will override all the clicks. Never bothered me. Cs5 (think it equates to pshop 12 or 13?) is pretty incredible. Been using it since 2.5 when there wasn't even layers! That made things interesting, working with multiple files open to copy and paste on a machine with **** all ram or disk space!

MrSmith
    Free Member

not when I have to do it 100 times.

as i and others have said "write an action"

it does sound as though you would be better off with aperture/lightroom/photoshop for novices/gimp if all you are doing is resizing/cropping and working on 8 bit jpegs.

failing that pay Adobe a few million pounds to write you a custom app.

LuckyJim
    Free Member

SFB we're sorry, you are correct… PhotoShop is widely acknowledged to be very very poor indeed. 🙄

Those

elementary user interface faults

have been painstakingly developed over 20 years and are industry-standard. Perhaps you should allow your trial copy to expire and think about alternatives.

Do you apply the same awesome rationale to all things new… wade in with the criticisms without even trying to learn for yourself – or think about why things may have been done a certain way?

Useful answers have been offered. As has been said, RTFM and set up an action if a 25 second investment to save 100 files is too much.

"Save for web" comes up with a warning because (above a certain size of image), you are trying to use the function for a purpose it is not designed for. It's an optimisation tool. I would suggest that if you've not yet got to grips with the fundamental difference between a .jpg and a .psd you are not really ready to touch on this. Walk before you run. How about you stick your nose in a tutorial for half an hour and learn something?

It comes across as extremely rude to ask for help then pooh-pooh the responses you know.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

+1 LuckyJim.

In my experience, whenever an engineer starts talking about 'user interface gaffes', you know it's time to start banging your head on the desk.

singletrackhor
    Free Member

MTFU and press the keyboard 100 times 😉 🙂

theflatboy
    Free Member

you can create an action to do it. do that.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Should be 'Simple Simon's Photoshop question'…

Photoshop is rubbish. That's why the industry hasn't been using it for the last 20 years, and have been using MS Paint instead…. 😉

Happy Bottom Optimising!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Photoshop is rubbish

I'm not saying that, but I'm amazed to find so many things so badly implemented – for instance, many of the tools forget their last setting – when it's reasonable to suppose the consecutive shots might well need at least similar corrections

have been painstakingly developed over 20 years and are industry-standard

no sorry, for a start industry standard doesn't imply good, but isn't this actually industry standard from 20 years ago ? And it looks more like negligence than painstaking!

you can create an action to do it. do that.

to save a file ?? What are programmers for ?

MrSmith
    Free Member

photoshop obviously isn't for you. and perhaps beyond your rudimentary computer skills, patience and learning ability.
    Maybe you are better off spending your £600 elsewhere?

Jamie
    Free Member

Maybe you are better off spending your £600 elsewhere?

Maybe use it to get a man in to operate CS5 for him?

MrSmith
    Free Member

Maybe use it to get a man in to operate CS5 for him?

or spend it in Hamleys or Toys'R'Us?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

photoshop obviously isn't for you. and perhaps beyond your rudimentary computer skills, patience and learning ability.

might it not be that I'm a professional programmer of 25 years experience unwilling to be fobbed off with antiquated design ?

I've bought it, and I'll use it for the scope of the tools, but it just confirms what I've always thought about Adobe software in that they are clueless about the UI

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 222 total)

The topic ‘Simple Photoshop CS5 question…’ is closed to new replies.