Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 111 total)
  • Sigh… why do I keep doing it? LBS minor sad…
  • psychle
    Free Member

So I just ordered my Mojo HD 140, put down a £500 deposit… happy days! whilst I was there, I asked if they could swap over a crown race for me (not a big job and something I’d usually do myself with a screw driver!), sure no probs they say, duck back around 6ish and pick the fork up, schweet thinks I and heads down to the gym… come to pick it up, “that’ll be £10 thanks”… I guess I kind of hoped in this instance they’d just do it FOC, but noooo… I know they have to make money, but this must’ve been a 5 minute job at best (with the right tool, easily done right?), feel sad and unhappy now…

At least they gave me a bit of a discount off my frame, in recompense for one of their old mechanics dinting my Yeti ASR a few years ago…

rOcKeTdOg

burn down the shop, how dare they have to make a living!!

druidh
    Free Member

I spent almost £100 at Tescos a couple of weeks back. When I popped in for a sandwich later that week, they had the gall to charge me for it.

br
    Free Member

Them that can’t do, pay.

psychle
    Free Member

Oh I know… but c’mon, £10 for this job, when I’ve just committed to spending £2000 (and probably more??)… now, I’ve walked away feeling a little unhappy, may well end up deciding not to buy my wheels or fork through them, ’tis poor customer service don’t you think?

druidh
    Free Member

Labour is labour.

Do you work for nowt?

psychle
    Free Member

Do you work for nowt?

In some ways… I’m a travel agent, so get plenty of people spending lots of time with me, often for no actual sale…

psychle
    Free Member

whoops… double post…

scotia
    Free Member

if it was to go onto this mojo then maybe at a push, but its a job you want them to do for you for free just because you spend some money in their shop??!

donsimon
    Free Member

😆

psychle
    Free Member

didn’t want or ask them to… just kind of hoped they would… I paid up without a blink, but just thought it might’ve been done gratis in this instance (being a small quick job and all…) I’ll be quiet now, STW obviously isn’t with me on this one 😆

Rorschach
    Free Member

So if you’d picked up a pair of £10 grips instead and they had charged you, would have been dissapointed aswell?Why is labour seen as being worthless to people?
    I spend thousands in tesco every year but don’t get any free stuff (club card points don’t count as they are buying information cheap)….poor customer service that is.

poly
    Free Member

In some ways… I’m a travel agent, so get plenty of people spending lots of time with me, often for no actual sale…

No you try to sell lots of people a holiday and fail – that’s not the same thing!

If I come in and book a £2000 holiday with you and on the way out say “Oh, I’m off to Paris next weekend, can you convert me some Euros” would you do that with no commission at the official rates or would you say yes and charge me the standard rate?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

A shop in Norf Larndan, perhaps?

psychle
    Free Member

If I come in and book a £2000 holiday with you and on the way out say “Oh, I’m off to Paris next weekend, can you convert me some Euros” would you do that with no commission at the official rates or would you say yes and charge me the standard rate?

We don’t do forex… but, if you’d booked a £2k holiday with me, quite often I’ll throw in an arrival transfer, or a free guide book or something… cost’s me next to nothing and means that next time they go to book a holiday , hopefully they’ll remember my good service and ‘generosity’ and come in to book with me again, IMO it’s all about long term relationship building, something this particular LBS doesn’t seem that good on (in my experience over the past 4 years…)

A shop in Norf Larndan, perhaps?

Indeed it is Flashy, you know which one I use… 🙂

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Get a refund on your deposit then. Plenty of other places to go buy the frame if you don’t like the service, its a buyers market.

psychle
    Free Member

not this particular frame there isn’t… plus, they owed me a decent discount as mentioned…

vinnyeh

Indeed it is Flashy, you know which one I use…

tbh, I’m not sure why you keep going back, after your experiences there. I know some people like that shop, some don’t, but I don’t go back to shops I dislike, unless it’s forced upon me.

Shame you’ve already paid the deposit, when I bought my Mojo I had absolutely top service elsewhere, should have given you the recommendation. 😕

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I wouldnt shop anywhere that dented my bike. shows how they care about customers and their belongings. This was proved by them charging you for the crown race to be removed.

Most shops would do It for free and probally wouldn’t dent your bike either

geoffj

Should’ve gone in with a packet of biscuits. More valuable than money jaffacakes.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

tbh, I’m not sure why you keep going back, after your experiences there. I know some people like that shop, some don’t, but I don’t go back to shops I dislike, unless it’s forced upon me.

Agreed.

psychle
    Free Member

They’re 5 minutes from my door, so convenient… I keep hoping/wishing I can repair/rebuild the relationship, maybe I should take a tray of doughnuts in or something…

Shame you’ve already paid the deposit, when I bought my Mojo I had absolutely top service elsewhere, should have given you the recommendation.

Saved around 15% off RRP by going through them, so not a bad result really… in their defence, they’ve been really good about the dented Yeti, it happened almost 3 years ago and they still remembered it today and looked after me in that regard 🙂

This is my first big purchase through them, hopefully we’ll get on better from now on, now I’ve spent some decent bucks with them!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

psychle, there are many other bike shops not that far away. OK, so to get to a good one might mean heading as far as E1 or SE1, but really, is it that far?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

First dibbs on the frame when it’s up for sale shortly.

carbon337
    Free Member

You should have just been cheeky and said “no, howay man Ive just given you 2 grand….” You get nowt if you dont ask.

psychle
    Free Member

First dibbs on the frame when it’s up for sale shortly.

Good luck… I wouldn’t hold my breath if I was you! 🙂

Woody
    Free Member

I’m with you on this psychle. 5 minute job which effectively cost the shop nothing but has left you with a bad taste and presumably less keen to shop there in the future.

Not a clever way to treat a customer who has just committed to spending a couple of grand.

vinnyeh

Good luck… I wouldn’t hold my breath if I was you!

C,mon, admit it- they’re in such short supply you’ll be flicking it on at a profit before you even get it. 🙂

psychle
    Free Member

C,mon, admit it- they’re in such short supply you’ll be flicking it on at a profit before you even get it 🙂

never… really looking forward to this bike, I shall be dreaming of Vitamin P for the next few winter months!

poly
    Free Member

We don’t do forex… but, if you’d booked a £2k holiday with me, quite often I’ll throw in an arrival transfer, or a free guide book or something… cost’s me next to nothing and means that next time they go to book a holiday , hopefully they’ll remember my good service and ‘generosity’ and come in to book with me again, IMO it’s all about long term relationship building, something this particular LBS doesn’t seem that good on (in my experience over the past 4 years…)

its not the same transaction though. If I book a 2 grand cruise with you does that entitle me to expect freebies on unrelated transactions that you didn’t budget for when agreeing the price of the original package!

smell_it
    Free Member

I keep hoping/wishing I can repair/rebuild the relationship, maybe I should take a tray of doughnuts in or something…

Why? Have you knobbed them about or messed them around before? If not, what are you trying to repair?

psychle
    Free Member

Why? Have you knobbed them about or messed them around before? If not, what are you trying to repair?

Not at all, it’s just that for some reason we’ve never ‘gelled’, not sure why (or even, why I feel that we should have! they’re just a business after all…)

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I would expect something like that to be a fiver at most, and that they might have at least charged you with a bit of an apologetic look. I suppose the workshop needs to show a profit though. Think of it as sponsoring the mechanic.

druidh
    Free Member

oliverd1981 – Member
    Think of it as paying the mechanic.

T.FIFY

scotabroad

I would have baulked at that as well tbh, that aint good customer service imo.

smell_it
    Free Member

Fair enough, would it not be easier jut to find a shop albiet a bit further away where you ‘gelled’, and then support them with your not inconsiderable purchases? Some shops would treat you nicely for that sort of custom, or do you just like them playing all hard to get 😉

Sandwich

Get the new bike then find another shop, it’s what I did. As stated above labour is labour and that can be bought anywhere.

druidh
    Free Member

Sandwich – Member
    Get the new bike then find another shop, it’s what I did. As stated above labour is labour and that can be bought anywhere.

Ah but he doesn’t want to buy it, he wants it for free.

psychle
    Free Member

not always Druidh… just in this instance, it would’ve been nice… in the past, they’ve charged my £10 to remove a cassette (fine, can live with that), £40 to connect braided hoses (needed a vice to crimp the swages, I don’t have one in my 1 bed flat) this didn’t include setup/bleeding btw, £25 for fitting a headset (have now bought my own tool)… a few other things, but it illustrates that their labour charges are a tad high (I think you’d agree?), but I’ve been relatively OK with that as it’s been convenient. In this case, I’ve just spent a not inconsiderable sum, and potentially might be spending more (wheels, fork other bits), then they go and charge £10 for a 5 minute (or less?) job?… poor form IMO…

druidh
    Free Member

Ah. You’ll be happy to pay full RRP for all that stuff then?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 111 total)

The topic ‘Sigh… why do I keep doing it? LBS minor sad…’ is closed to new replies.