Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Show some respect you twit
  • piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Just had the two minutes silence here and one of my staff spent the entire time pissing about on his pc. All we could hear was click, click click of his mouse. ….and this was after he was saying earlier 'should we all stand for the 2 minutes silence?'

What a prize twunt

pjt201
    Free Member

no one in my office seemed to take any notice.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I went to a nearby memorial. A large number of people gathered, fell silent as the bells tolled.

It matters.

We will remember them

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    coffeeking
    Free Member

I was driving at the time, but I was going to visit a memorial:

mikey3
    Free Member

if people can,t spend two minutes of thier lives paying respect for all the sacrifices people have made then we,re all ****.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ooops. I forgot. Too busy.

Did do it at church on Sunday though.

midgebait
    Free Member

Two minute silence reminder on a tannoy message here. Seems to have gone as quiet as a power station gets!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Think it is each to their own on this but most of us at work observed it.
    Remember going to the WW1 cemetries when I was 16 and the scale and the loss when you look at them and realise how few days battle that was changed my view on war forever. War is always a tragedy and very rarely justified.

coffeeking
    Free Member

if people can,t spend two minutes of thier lives paying respect for all the sacrifices people have made then we,re all ****.

I agree. Partly. There's no reason why it should be only on a fixed day at a fixed time, that's just an easy way of getting everyone to do it at the same time.

GrahamS

No chance to do it in the office here and not really the right environment anyway. I'll do it myself on my own later.

The point is to remember. The exact time is irrelevant (for me).

Spamf
    Free Member

Just had an assembly at school with 1500 kids. Despite having sat through almost an hour of speeches and presentations, they were excellent; very respectful. You could hear a pin drop through the whole two minutes. Not a murmur.

They were great.

Pook

Exactly the same here. He then stopped using his mouse and moved to the touch pad.

therealhoops
    Free Member

Went to a local memorial here. The local youff past by quietly, which surprised everyone. However a group of 4 college girlies screamed and laughed when the cannon went off.

nbt

GrahamS – Member

No chance to do it in the office here and not really the right environment anyway. I'll do it myself on my own later.

The point is to remember. The exact time is irrelevant (for me).

Our office went quiet, apart from those few who were too busy to realise and carried on…

jahwomble
    Free Member

"There's no reason why it should be only on a fixed day at a fixed time"

that's when the armistice was signed, 11 minutes past the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month, so's people would remember it and share that moment of rememberence as a nation, you don't have to remember at just that time, but that's why it's a fixed time and date.

ski
    Free Member

We had one here too CF apparently.

She spent the whole time chatting to a friend on the phone about x-factor, even though we had a tannoy reminder here!

Glad she does not work on my floor, its pretty frosty up there at the moment.

miketually
    Free Member

My whole class turned off their monitors and were silent for the full 2 minutes.

noteeth
    Free Member

Well-attended ceremony here at the University.

We will remember them.

theotherjonv

I observed the silence at the cathedral in Durham where I was at at the weekend, I sat quietly for a private couple of minutes here today. I am lucky; all my relatives that i can remember fought in the 2nd war and survived to enjoy old age, many do not.

The remaining question to me is what to do with my poppy? When is it correct to stop wearing them? As per usual, I will wear mine through the rest of the day and then add it to the wreaths at the memorial near to my home when I pass it later. It feels wrong to just bin it.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i don't get angry at people who ignore it, millions died to make this a free country where things like 2 minutes silence are optional.

I don't hold people who ignore it in very high regard though, i've marched with scouts, cadets and brass bands on armistice day and played Rivale in church which was one of the hardest things i've had to do.

SFB to the thread please

Junkyard
    Free Member

SFB to the thread please

perhaps he is obeying his own kind of silence?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Junkyard – Member

SFB to the thread please

perhaps he is obeying his own kind of silence?

We can but dream….

votchy
    Free Member

Large open plan office here containing several hundred people of all ages and nationalities, not a peep for 2 minutes, well done to everyone and as said before

we will remember them

amodicumofgnar

Hate admit it but missed the whole thing.

Went through a lot of the battlefields on Old Man – Jungfrau. A lot to think about. Its not just the big memorials – Ypres (above), Passendale (above), Canadian Memorial (on the Ian Hisslop programme on Channel 4) – the scale is just mindblowing. Chemin des Dames – just a blood bath. What struck me most though wasnt the big memorials and cemetries but the smaller ones on the roadsides and in the field corners, all prefectly cared for but they are just every where. There was a bit on breakfast news about the impact of repatriation of the dead on how people view the war in Afag. I think burying the dead on the battlefield gives a greater impact of the scale of the war – an its cost.

stumpy01

I arrived at Rutland Cycling on Sunday morning – their large shop at Whitwell and as we walked in, we were reminded of the 2mins silence.
    Was excellent – everyone kept quiet & people walking in who didn't realise were made politely aware of it.

I just had a 2hr meeting this morning and we all stopped at 11 to observe the 2 minute silence.

I never used to consider it before – I used to do it, but would just stay quiet & not really think about what it meant. I think as I am getting older though, you realise the significance of what those people did.

Last place I worked, failed to mention a 2 min silence. I e-mailed HR & they quickly sent an e-mail round. Unfortunately only to the Cambridge office. In the building I was in, production carried on as normal – the managers obviously felt that was more important. I stood outside on my own – all the managers in that building went even lower in my estimations on that day.

walla24
    Free Member

noone seemed to notice in the computer room i was in…monitor off eyes closed deep thought. We will remember them.

Drac

I was asleep my youngest wanted a snooze, I made this mistake of lying down beside her. Zzzzzzzzzzz!

But yeah some decency when others are giving some respect is called for.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Sat at home on my own but spent 2 minutes pondering the meaning of it all.

Worst case I remember was a young secretary a couple of jobs back who was yacking away and someone told her to be silent. she replied 'I don't know anyone who died so I can't remember them. Don't apply to young people does it?'

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Big price to pay for Victoria's kids falling out with each other.

Popular music-hall song of the pre-war era:

"There's not going to be a war because Georgie is the king,
    There's not going to be a war – he doesn't like that sort of thing…"

Afterwards, a different lyric:

"Dulce Et Decorum Est

Bent double, like old beggars under sacks,
    Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge,
    Till on the haunting flares we turned our backs
    And towards our distant rest began to trudge.
    Men marched asleep. Many had lost their boots
    But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame; all blind;
    Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots
    Of disappointed shells that dropped behind.

GAS! Gas! Quick, boys!– An ecstasy of fumbling,
    Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time;
    But someone still was yelling out and stumbling
    And floundering like a man in fire or lime.–
    Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light
    As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.

In all my dreams, before my helpless sight,
    He plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning.

If in some smothering dreams you too could pace
    Behind the wagon that we flung him in,
    And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,
    His hanging face, like a devil's sick of sin;
    If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
    Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
    Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud
    Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,–
    My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
    To children ardent for some desperate glory,
    The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est
    Pro patria mori."

bigyinn
    Free Member

Gulp, very sad.

I fell guilty as i was in the middle of a support call at 11. Will have a quiet 2 mins of contemplation later on my own.

The horrors those poor souls would have seen, brings me to tears.
    Rest well in our eternal gratitude that we may continue to enjoy the lives we have.

dmiller
    Free Member

So we have a two minute silence at work. Which is right. One of my staff loudly ignores it. Which is bad. This prompts a different manager to make a loud "spazz" shout. Not exactly the dignity that this day deserves… Actually really annoyed with this 🙁

And the reason she loudly ignores it? She was born in Ireland so she hates all British soldiers… Cow.

GrahamS

And the reason she loudly ignores it? She was born in Ireland so she hates all British soldiers… Cow.

You might want to point the ignorant cow at
    http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?htx=List&dbid=1633
    where she can search the lists of the Irish military casualties in WW1.

210,000 Irishmen served during WW1. 140,000 of these joined voluntarily during the war. 35,000 were killed.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british/britain_wwone/ireland_wwone_01.shtml

zokes
    Free Member

You could also point out (as we did tongue in cheek to a very humorous german colleague) that it's to remember the deaths of all soldiers, of all sides, in all conflicts… He then replied "Oh, so it's not a celebration of your 2-0 victory then!"

We also have a humourless german, who thankfully isn't here today

bigyinn
    Free Member

Can people actually be that callous? Well, clearly.
    Its one thing to not realise, its another thing entirely to go out of your way to intentionally ignore it.

Words fail me sometimes….

Northwind

Personally I can't stand this idea of enforced respect. Cheapens the genuine article. In my office today you could look around and almost see what was going through people's heads as they "respectfully" maintained their 2 minutes silence… "Wonder what's on telly tonight". "Eggs, butter, beer for the weekend…" "Might have a curry…" "She's fit…" "Yay, 2 minutes off answering the phones" A lot of silence but not a lot of actual respect and contemplation going on I reckon.

To quote my grandad, "I'd sooner have a hundred people fall silent off their own back, than everyone do it because they think they have to"

sodafarls
    Free Member

"And the reason she loudly ignores it? She was born in Ireland so she hates all British soldiers… Cow."

And have you ever paused for a moment and considered why she hated all British soldiers? She may have a damn good reason. But that's another thread I suppose. Still, she could stay quiet IMO for all the Irish who died in WW1/2 and keep her genuine complaints about British troops in Ireland for another time.

GrahamS

And have you ever paused for a moment and considered why she hated all British soldiers? She may have a damn good reason.

utterly irrelevant. As others said, it's about showing respect for ALL soldiers, ALL sides and ALL conflicts.

She may well have her own issues. Today at 11 was not the time to make a protest. 😡

coffeeking
    Free Member

but that's why it's a fixed time and date.

I know that 😆 What I was saying is that if for whatever reason people cannot "commit" to the 2 mins at all the 11s, theres no reason why it has to be the only opportunity, and that it might be a huge insult to automatically assume they just dont care and are a "twunt". There needs to be the symbolic "national" guideline time obviously, but I suspect you didn't find any A&E doctors pausing for 2 mins, likewise you wouldn't hold it against them if they sat down that evening and thought hard on it instead of at 11. I'm busy, I'm aware of the reasons, I'll respect it when I'm able to pay it justice, not faffing in work itching to get on with something.

sodafarls
    Free Member

"utterly irrelevant. As others said, it's about showing respect for ALL soldiers, ALL sides and ALL conflicts."

Does that include the IRA?

No, I thought not. Perhaps you could read my post again and educate us all.

swamp_boy

Was at a conference, speaker stopped mid flow at 11 and we all stood for 2 minutes, not a peep.

But Northwind's grandad had it right, those people died so it wouldn't be compulsory.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Show some respect you twit’ is closed to new replies.