Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)
  • Show me your Pace RC405
  • Molds

I’m considering an ’09 RC405 and would like to see yours and what shock/wheel choices you made…

peteimpreza

Click on Dezb’s photo link on page 10 of this thread for a pic of a very nice Pace at Swnley this weekend.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/swinley-forest-forum-ride-10th-january-2009/page/11

BadlyWiredDog

Pushed Pike Dual Air U-Turn, Stan’s Flow rims on DT240S rear / Pro 2 front. I can’t be arsed to post a pic, but seems to suit the bike. Obviously you’re more concerned with the looks, hence the photos?

Molds

Interested in both BWD. I will have build decisions to make which wonít just be for the aesthetics (it has to work), but itís also nice to see how things look rather than just trying to imagine :¨)

r6ymy
    Free Member

I used the Pace RC41 XCAM’s from my previous bike, wheels are Stans Arch on Pro 2. It was my bike at Swinley (thanks for the link Pete).
    Here’s another pic:
    RC405
    Can’t get photo linking to work.

BadlyWiredDog

I say screw the aesthetics ffs. It just needs to work. Just steer clear of Maguara Thors and you’ll be fine 😉

Joking aside, the Pushed Pike works really well on the Pace and looks fine.

Molds

Hmm, I’d got the Pike on my short list so thats a handy recommendation 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

This is the one Pete’s referring to http://dezbrewster941.photoblog.org.uk/p55786178.html

Molds

Any one else? I didn’t think these were all that exclusive? ;¬)

Molds

Alex

That’s mine:

Pikes (not pushed but they will be at some point). DT 5.1/Hope hubs. Lots of fun in the peaks (where BWD rides). Not too heavy, not stupidly light and underbuilt. Suspension works very well.

Get one 🙂

woody2000

Anyone else think this Viper frame looks very similar? Bit cheaper at £399 mind 🙂

SlowJohn
    Free Member

Heres mine vanilla r on the front its gone through quite a lot of changes now though i will put a more recent photo up soon

SlowJohn
    Free Member

that does look similar woody but ill bet that looks are the only similarity

Paceman
    Free Member

Details for mine…

White 2008 RC405 frame, DT Swiss EX200 Shock, Fox Float forks, Hope Mini Monos, 90mm Hope OS Stem and Semi-Integrated Headset, Low-Rise Easton Monkey-Lite bars, XT Crankset, SRAM X-9 gears, Hope Hoops Pro II / DT-Swiss Wheels with Stans set-up, Nobby-Nics, SDG I-Beam post and Formula FX saddle, Crank Bros Candy SL’s.

Comes in at just under 27 lbs. It rides very quick and seems to give you a bit more when you put the power down. Great for fast singletrack and climbs well.

The DT EX200 Shock is fantastic and worth the upgrade on this year’s frame deal IMO. It’s the shock the frame was originally designed to work with after all. I’ve tried both 120mm and 140mm Fox Floats up front. I’m currently on the 140mm’s which have the axle-crown length recommended by Pace for the RC405 (510mm), but i’m not sure yet if I preferred the 120mm set-up which was more XC orientated (seems slower but that might just be my winter fitness and muddy trails, i’m yet to dry them on dry summer trails). Pace recommend forks with 510mm axle to crown length, along with a 70-90mm riser stem and bars, 10-20mm spacers for aggressive/bike park use or 0-10mm spacers for XC.

I’ll post a picture later,

Paceman

Molds

Thanks paceman – good stuff!

Molds

Where is the pic paceman? 🙂

I have just put in an order for a Large 09 with DT Swiss rear shock. Cant justify the ridiculous new prices for the DT XMC130 fork – £813 if you buy it “cheaper” (sic) in the rolling chassis option?! Looking at a Fox RLC 140 instead.

I’m 6′ 1″ and have gone for Large. I’m regular 32″ inside leg and evenly proportioned. Usually run my cockpit a tad short. Have I made the right choice on size?

nsaints
    Free Member

Not sure on the link to post a picture myself…here goes

Pace 260708_7

Daffy

Alex’s bike looks ace.

nsaints
    Free Member

Molds…I’m the same size as you also
    Went for a large
    My only regret is not going for anodised…still looks nice in white
    i’m just paranoid of getting it scratched so it generally just sits in the garage and I use an old Orange hardtail

nickc

White one looks nice

DeeJay
    Free Member

Current set up complete with mudguards – I am so looking forward to summer and getting them off – be like having a new bike again.

Its a large with 70mm stem – I have always had slightly smaller frames before this but I am really glad I went for the bigger one. Molds – you should find it spot on – I’m 6ft with 32″ leg. Most of the kit came off my previous frame but then I could not resist some new wheels . . .

Molds

Excellent, sounds like I am going to be OK with the sizing 🙂

Everyone appears to be building with a fairly short stem, are you running inline or offset seatposts?

Have to think about my finishing kit now and what wheels to build. I’m not a DH hucker but want to be able to ride without too much concern, but then not being bogged down on day XC rides, oooh and I weigh 107kg! Hmmm

I ended up letting my heart rule my head and have gone for the rip off DT Swiss XMC130 fork. Surprisingly in comparison the DT Swiss carbon rear shock was a reasonable price in the rolling chassis deal.

Also trying to decide whether to build with a geared hub? I like low maintenance and hate cleaning but in this country those things are hard to avoid. Riding SS has spoiled me in that respect which is what made me think I want a geared hub… Other thread here http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/shimano-alfine-or-sram-i-motion#post-37193

r6ymy
    Free Member

Pace fork saleMolds, did you not see the ex-display forks on Sale direct from Pace? They have a pair of XMC130 for £399

BadlyWiredDog

Alex’s bike looks ace.

Obviously, it looks very similar to mine, which has SLX cranks, XT brakes and Flows on DT Swiss 240S / Pro 2 front. The Viper looks similar, but this was done to death on an old thread, apparently rides quite differently fwiw.

Molds

Just cannot make my mind up!

Alfine or regular gears..?

Paceman
    Free Member

Here’s mine… at home

In action riding the Garburn Pass (Coast to Coast July ’08)…

Molds

any more?

willv

just bought an 08 large an i am 6’2″ with 34″ inside leg. Fits ok.

One problem i do have though is the rear wheel doesnt seem to sit straight in the frame meaning my rear disc is rubbing against the caliper. When looked at from behind the rear tyre sits slightly to the left of the seat tube.

Anyone else had similar problems?

ta
    will

JB405
    Free Member

Ah, I love the white frame! Seeing your pics makes me very envious!

I cracked mine on the weld at the Downtube / Bottom Bracket. PACE said they had a few pre-production frames that had this and it would not affect the integrity of the frame. I was still not happy so they replaced the whole frame under warranty, really pleased with their service.

Now I’ve got a grey Ano frame and I’m not quite so happy about the colour, plus the decals on the toptube have been rubbed off by my knees.

I found that the shocks I had on both frames had to go back to be restacked as the seatstay brace was marking the back of the seat tube under full compression (with correct air pressure in the can). I’m 6’2″ and 14 stone, not a light rider and do ride quite hard but this was a surprise!

Other than the above niggles I have to say that it is an amazing bike to ride, fast and flowy (?) singletrack is where is comes alive but it can handle the Morzine / Les Gets runs uite well too as I found out last summer!

Spec is:

RC405
    Fox 36 Talas RC2 – Had 32 Talas but donored those to my wife
    Hope Stem 70mm – I ran a 50mm in France
    Hope Headset
    Hope Mono Mini – 185mm F&R Braided and floating rotors
    Monkey bars
    Peaty grips
    Thomson layback seat post
    Selle Italia saddle
    XO shifters and Rear Derailleur
    SRAM Casette
    XT Front Mech
    XT Cranks and Rings – Ran a Bash ring and chainguide in France as found the chain would get wedged under the lower rocker when thrashing over rough terrain
    Either DMR V12 Mags or Burgtec Penthouse pedals
    Mavic SX wheels
    Either Maxxis High Rollers or Intense Tyres

YorkshireRipper
    Free Member

willv – I had a similar issue, to start with the rear triangle came in at nearer 125mm, not sure if this was crushed in transit or whether it was a production issue but pace replaced no questions, the wheel set to one side as well but I guess this could have been due to the alignment issues with the rear triangle.

Aside from that, lovely frame, climbs awesome.

One other niggle, the owners manual i got with the frame said the 405 has a 68mm BB shell, but its actually 73mm….

willv

Have had a couple of instances with the brace hitting the seat tube too. I am about 90kg all in and have 110psi in the shock at the minute which gives about 0.5″ sag. Its a HVR200 shock
    Does this sound similar to what you guys are running?
    Also how are you getting on with the platform settings? doesnt seem to need much!!

cheers in advance
    will

sweep
    Free Member

People seem to be split between the painted finish and the anodised on here. Mines the white one and I wanted a painted bike after having an anodized Trek that couldn’t be tarted up when it had got scratched and knocked.

I find the scratches get worn in with dirt a bit and show up but with some Autoglym Paint Restorer on the bad bits followed by a bit of polish for a few mins and mine still looks in pretty good shape after more than 3000k of trail riding. Can’t do anything like that with an anodized finish really (or can you, I assume not). Oh, defintely needs lizard skins or whatever on both of the chain stays for chain slap obviously but also heel rub on the other side I’ve found.

Will get a photo up soon. Hope Pro III / DT 4.2 rims, all Sram X9, Race Face Deus XC Silver Chainset, Formula Oro Bianco brakes 180/160, 08 Fox 32 Talas, 70mm Thomson Stem, Joplin Post, Controltech Scandium Bars, ODI Rogues, WTB Pure V, Hope Integral Headset.

I think if I were to change one thing it would be wheels to get more rim width, DT 4.2s aren’t very wide. If I could get the spokes to rebuild around my Straight Pull Hope III hubs then I’d go for ZTR Flow rims, gain a bit of strength and have a bit of extra width to sit 2.35s nicely on in the better weather (SP spokes for these hubs/rims combo I was told were not available, could be wrong if someone wants to correct me and point me at some !!)

Personally love the bike, I think it would be interesting to see what it felt like if it had had say half a degree off the head angle?

I wonder what bikes in a similar vein that everyone might replace with one day?

twiglet_monster
    Free Member

Happy 405 owner here 🙂 Its more than I need, and rider skill and nerve runs out well before the capability of the bike. Quite embarrasingly good at flattening obstacles. I call it my “assisted living” bike – its like one of those care homes where you get a warden and a helping hand down the stairs and a common room.

Although now and again I get complacent – Can I get one that prevents this happening?

TM

votchy
    Free Member

How long is the cockpit on the 405? All the pics make the bike look very short and the one of the guy in France he is virtually bolt upright even with his arms bent, is there a tendency to send you over the bars with the 405 as illustrated above?

Molds

Votchy, the virtual top tube in large is 607mm | 23.89″.

Thanks for all the input guys. My blue 09 should be here soon… must finish my build sheet! 😀

Paceman
    Free Member

I weight 80kgs or 12st 7 lbs and ride a medium RC405 with 08′ Fox Talas up front. I’ve tinkered with the HVR200 shock settings quite a bit. Initially I ran it at 80-85psi which gave the recommended 10mm sag, but used full travel every ride using the o-ring guide, even smooth South Downs trails. I’ve since upped it to 90psi which seems better as it only reaches full travel on big hits/landings. I’ve never had an issue with shock/frame contact though.

I’ve never found the need for ANY platform damping, even getting riding buddies to watch for suspension-bobbing, this is just not an issue with the RC405. I run about 40% rebound damping. The Fox Talas I find to be the ideal partner for this frame. I use it mainly at 120mm on my local SE trails but have the option of the 140mm slacker angle for Afan, C-y-B, Cwmcarn etc a few times a year. Tried 140 Fox Floats before them but found the headangle too slack for all-round use. 90mm Hope XC stem works for me with Monkeylite XC OS bars.

Paintwork (snow white) has been fine in the 12 months i’ve had it, but you do need chainstay protection on both. Helicopter tape on the non-driveside works well aesthetically.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

TM thats a great pic!

cymohndee
    Free Member

Congrats Molds, Just to reassure you: you have made the right choice, I still occasionally look in on mine before I go to bed with a knowing smile (not too smug I hope, I do have some humility)just to make sure all is well. Oops. Did I really just say that?

fattatlasses
    Free Member

DT 130mm forks, DT shock, XT, mixture of Hope & Thomson stuff. Wheels are now Hope SP3’s (recommended btw). The fork took a good while for seals to bed in, but it is now superb, IMO, its definately a step up from RS Revs on my other bike. I got the DT forks at a very reasonable price – I’m not sure I’d pay current full asking price for them!

For the UK, it’s a superb ‘all-rounder’. Only time the bike has felt a bit out of its depth was on a very long, steep and rough descent in Pyrenees – but I found out afterwards that the local XC guys always walk and carry their bikes down it (if i could have stopped & gotten off that’s what I would have done!!).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Show me your Pace RC405’ is closed to new replies.