Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Show me your alcove shelves….
  • matt_outandabout

I have found that the bedroom I have torn apart been improving has the old house back door in the wall. This leaves a 2m high x 1m wide x 0.2m deep alcove for some shelves/storage.

Show me some inspiration beyond mrs_oab’s and my tongue and groove with thick shelves all painted white approach… 😕

hammyuk
    Free Member

Legth of solid wood worktop from Ikea.
    Cut to width.
    Run groove into each edge.
    Fit BFOS (big f…o.. screws) into wall
    Slide worktop shelves onto them.

Did this in the kitchen to continue the worktop and then shelves above where the backdoor used to be.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Downlighters in top.

Glass shelves.

Use it to display your *sex toy collection.

*other collections are available.

Mowgli
    Free Member

I’m in the process of doing this. Will get some pics tonight. I bought a load of 6″ x 1″ x 6′ Ash boards from a timber reclaimation place, turned about 25% of them into sawdust, and hopefully install the remainder into the alcove this evening. They are simply supported on some battens screwed into the sides.

midlifecrashes

This sort of thing?

matt_outandabout

More this 😉

66deg
    Free Member

[/url] des photos[/img]

I used floating floor for the back panel and oak laminated chipboard for the shelves, tried using it to display sex toys just not enough space so went with old wood working tools and The Witch-King Angmar.

Kahurangi

Bought some block beech kitchen worktop and cut it up in to pieces (I got 4 off 1500 x 300 mm shelves from a single piece of worktop, which was about £80 from Wickes). It’s supported by a number of small angle brackets, which aer fixed to the wall. The shelves just sit on top. The brackets aren’t totally hidden but I didn’t want to invest in a router or anything like that at the time.

Don’t have any photos on my phone, but I could take some tomorrow!

jimdubleyou

We had some cupboards & MDF shelves fitted into our living room.

Shelves are just MDF with BFOS into the wall & filled over + painted.

(which looks like what they’ve done in your picture above)

slackalice
    Free Member

I did these for a good friend a couple of years back. He had a big Eucalyptus tree in his back garden taken down and we planked the trunk. Racked and left the boards for a year or so and then machined them up for this library wall.

Thing is, there’s a small room/nook behind it that acts as a guest room…

Which meant of course that a secret door and opening mechanism was required!

One of the books is hinged. Was fun to make!

ados
    Free Member

That is just fantastic, love it!!

cinnamon_girl

Wowsers, that is brilliant. 😀

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Ours look like this Matt..

Excuse the crappy iPhone pic..

northernmatt

Don’t do the lazy option like I was bullied into because “they do them in pretty colours”. Floating shelves from Ikea. Absolute shite, couldn’t take the weight of a fag paper.

matt_outandabout

Slackalice – 8)

I’m thinking simple chunky MDF painted a bright colour for styleeee.

mefty
    Free Member

We have got a couple of 4.5 cm thick, 1.6 m mdf floating shelves in each alcove, above cabinets, which are topped with a 4.5 cm thick piece of oak in our family room. Our’s are painted the same colour as the walls, but the overall effect is nice enough.

nemesis
    Free Member

FWIW, I’ve found the Ikea floating shelves absolutely fine so long as you have a solid (and flat) surface to fix them to.

I did what Teetosugars showed in his pics.

davosaurusrex

We used 40mm bamboo worktop. Chippy routed out half depth sections on sides and back and made up matching “biscuits” which were fixed into the walls with brown plugs and hefty screws. The shelves then drop in on top so the brackets are hidden. Look really good and take huge amounts of weight with no sagging. Will get a few photos up tomorrow if I remember

geg73
    Free Member

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

In STW fashion, Log store of some description

jamj1974

Shelfbar do some good ones – used them a couple of times.

Pook

There’s no way those big logs will fit in that little wood burner

righog
    Free Member

I note with some sense of shame I started a similar thread 5 months ago. and my shelves are still not finished ( well actually the shelves are, the plastering is not ) they ended up being extremely strong, cheap and if I say so myself stylish. To answer the question I asked in the thread I ended up spacing the shelves deeper at the bottom and and getting progressively smaller towards the top.

I played around with the spacing a lot when they were evenly spaced they always looked as if they were about to fall on you. And because of this I was able to accommodate various sizes (obv.) that I wanted stored ( LP’s Mags etc ). on the left of the alcoves I have maintained the same spacing as on the right but missed a one out to incorporate a tv which looks a lot better than I feared it would.

I have also added an LED strip light at the top. Someone gave me it and i was skeptical at first but it is a good addition. It was of course an easy option I was plastering anyway.

shamefuly long time ago unfinished shelf thread

hooli

B.A.Nana – Member
    In STW fashion, Log store of some description

I really need to get out more. The first thing that popped into my head when I saw that pic was that the person who lives in that house clearly doesn’t have kids or dogs. 😳

Tracey

Twenty six years ago we bought our house through rose tinted glasses as we could see the potential under all the grime and bodge jobs. On the landing behind some doors with at least twenty layers of paint was a cubby hole that housed a couple of shelves and a water tank. We found out very soon that the tank would only enough water to put an inch of water into the bath which also looked like it had coal stored in it at some time. We also had an immersion heater switch in the kitchen that was housed in one of the woodworm ridden cupboards however even though it lit up there was no immersion heater to warm the water with.
    we decided to rip out the tank and shelves and make the opening into a feature on the landing.
    On the other side we opened up the back wall and made what would become Abigales, then just a twinkle in my eyes, bedroom.
    It took nearly ten years of hard graft to get the house to how we wanted it.

footflaps

We had bespoke oak cupboards / shelves made for the two sets of alcoves either side of the downstairs fire places.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/F8fGyj]Exhibit A[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/EcR8Jd]Exhibit B[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Show me your alcove shelves….’ is closed to new replies.