Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Should I put a coil shock on my 5 Spot?
  • Crag
    Free Member

As above, I've had my TNT 5 Spot for about 6 months now and as yet have been pretty much uninspired.

It climbs like a mountain goat but when the trail points downwards it doesn't feel anywhere near as assured as my old Meta 5. I messed round with various air pressures and rebound and can't get it to feel anywhere near as plush and responsive as I'd like.

So, anyone got any experience of putting a coil shock on? Any vast improvements? And is the weight gain noticable on a 30lb trail bike?

khani
    Free Member

went from a rp23 to coil and its miles better, did'nt notice the weight either,

dasnut
    Free Member

PUSH'd VAN R crag, you'll never look back 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    radoggair
    Free Member

you'll never look back once youve fitted one

Crag
    Free Member

Cheers fella's, all positive so far. This is the last throw of the dice before I chop it in for a Lapdog or, dare I say, Orange 5.

Any negatives I should be aware of?

radoggair
    Free Member

Orange 5.

Crag
    Free Member

yeah, fair enough 🙂

duir
    Free Member

radoggair – Member
    Orange 5.

Care to elaborate?

benji_allen
    Free Member

Care to elaborate?

I was wondering that. Thought it was regularly top rated in it's class.

radoggair
    Free Member

Which is a class or 2 below a 5 spot

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

radoggair – Member

Which is a class or 2 below a 5 spot

deary me, there is some utter crap posted on stw and this has to be the wankiest for a while.

The word stroker springs to mind. ( I guess all sports have them)

benji_allen
    Free Member

When I said class, I meant 5 inch travel trail bike class, so they're kind of in the same group. I haven't ridden either so can't really comment myself. I'd assume the five's a bit like my Alpine.

midlifecrashes

Well I took a coil (Romic, on it's last legs) off to put an RP23 on a Horst 5 Spot. Miles better and more controlled, better than the Romic, but took a couple of rides carrying the shock pump until I was happy. I much prefer being able to flick the propedal lever when I want depending on the situation. At the end of the day if it doesn't feel right, give it a go with a coil.

kaesae
    Free Member

Hey. How old is the 5 spot and what condition are the bearings in? if you don't mind me asking.

Crag
    Free Member

It's a 2008. Do you reckon it could be the bearings rather thanthe shock?

dasnut
    Free Member

take the shock off and you will see how the bearings are

and as far as trail bike of the year goes, according to mbr, its the lapdop, closely followed by your "special" brothers metalwork project, the orange 5.

kaesae
    Free Member

Hey. Hard to say depends on the manufacturer but turner more likely than not run enduro max, so they last a good while.

I would take the shock off and run the frames rear end gently through it's travel. it only takes 5 mins and you'll feel right away if the bearing need done.

kaesae
    Free Member

Binding or siezed bearings will interfere with the shocks dampening and cause instability in the bikes handling especially at speed.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Turners run on bushings Kaesae, I thought you were supposed to be a mechanic 🙄

Crag
    Free Member

I'm pretty convinced new bearings won't help.

Interesting to hear a different perspective in terms of going coil to air. Got to admit, I use the propedal on sustained climbs. Will I miss this or do you kind of get used to not having propedal?

dasnut
    Free Member

MTFU

propedal is an oxymoron

its basically for women and hairdressers

and top marks for spotting (see what I did there) that turners don't have bearings. Schoolboy error!

UK-FLATLANDER

Put a CCDB on my HL 5 Spot – absolutely superb, the back end just hugs the ground. About 30.5 lbs so not too bad weight wise, obviously a air can would be lighter, but I just prefer the feel of a coil.

Crag
    Free Member

Im working on my perms and highlights as we speak.
    Ccdb overkill for general trail duties?

Crag
    Free Member

DeanoT
    Free Member

Have been enjoying the Romic that I came with my first 5 Spot back in '02, but it dearly needs a service – any know who might be able to do the business on a Romic T2?

drew

Fit a DHX 5 coil and you get propedal and an adjustable boost valve. I fitted one to my push rockered 5 spot prior to a trip to the lakes recently and was very pleased with its performance.

radoggair
    Free Member

deary me, there is some utter crap posted on stw and this has to be the wankiest for a while.

The word stroker springs to mind. ( I guess all sports have them)

Elaborate please if you can or will, i mean anyone who's anyone (who can ride properly) knows a 5 spot is a league above an Orange 5

martinxyz
    Free Member

calling rad a stroker and saying some folk talk utter crap on this forum with the orange 5 comment over the 5 spot is a bit harsh.. especially when you look at the number of ex 5 owners that have ridden and switched to a 5 spot (also a certain other horst link 5 inch travel bike that caught the attention of a lot of people over the past 3 or so years)

theres about 4 on this forum that seem relieved to have made the switch and a few others where i used to work that have all said the same. NEVER has there been anyone that went from an orange 5 and been let down.not my words.. just folk that have owned both.

Soup
    Free Member

The Orange 5 doesn't look right at all. I would try anything first if that's the other option.

Ed-O
    Free Member

Danny Macaskill and Rowan Sorrell seemed to be doing quite well on their Orange Fives coming down the Nan Bield Pass the other day….

fivespot
    Free Member

Kaesae.. fivespots use bushes in all the suspension pivots not bearings 🙄

Crag…the stiction in Turner bushes is one of the reasons they they feel harsher over fast bumps. After going to a Hustler with bearings in all its rear pivots, the suppleness of the Hustler was in a different league (both bikes were running std. RP3's)

lowey

DeanoT. You snookered as far as servicing the Romic is concerned. Stendec use to do mine, but they have run out of parts after Romic went bust. This was the main reason why I binned my Romic at Christmas after 5 years of faithful service.

I have put on an RP23 in its place. Its taken me something like 3 months and 2 emails to Turner to finally get it dialled, but now I have, I have to say that it is in a different league to the Coil. I use Propedal on Tarmac but nothing else, off road climbs are just much easier with the shock hugging the ground. It really has been a revelation and made the bike even better.

Be prepared for a bit of faff getting the shock right and might be worth you speaking to Turner to help you out, but it will be worth it in the long run.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Ed,

Riders that good will be able to make any bike sing. But of course, you know that.

fivespot
    Free Member

DeanoT….As Lowey said above. When Romic went bust, Dave @ Stendec sold his Romic charging jig (said it cost £1200) before he lost too much on it. I was in the same predicament with my Romic from my old Ellsworth. After talking to dave about what the jig entailed, I set about making one. The problem with the Romic, is getting the little plug back in next to the main shaft seal while pumping 180 psi into the hole. I replaced the 'O' rings from the compresion and rebound adjusters (thats where the original leak occured) filled with fresh fluid, charged and refitted the little plug with the help of my new jig. Worked first time, chuffed.

My ACME Romic charging jig

DeanoT, if your shock is just in need of a few seals and fluid, I may be able to help. I don't claim to be suspension guru. But for the sake of £20-30 (at a guess) I may be able get a bit more life out of the old shock yet 😉

Crag
    Free Member

So, button pressed and push'd van r on the way from tft.
    I'm away at the lakes this weekend so once I've got the rebound dialled I should be able to give it a decent test.
    Interesting to hear people coming back to air from the romics and been massively impressed. I'm running a RP23 at the moment and tbh the rear end just feels wooden.
    Hopefully coil shock technology has moved on since the days of the Romic otherwise I'll be terribly disappointed. And if this is as good as the 5 spot is ever gonna get than the idea of an Orange might not be as ridiculous as some people suggest.

dasnut
    Free Member

don't do it – I have a bag of scaffolding poles, a biscuit tin and a welder here, you can make your own.

I don't mind single pivot (the tr450 is one), but lets have a linkage driven shock at least. Put some effort in for gods sake….

as for Danny and Rowan, I'd ride any old crap if it was free, as well.

tops5
    Free Member

I recently swapped my Romic for a VanR, it performs well but I get a lot of ghost shifts now.

Anyone know if pushing it would cure this?

dasnut
    Free Member

I assume you are talking about rear nech shifts – I wouldn't have thought a shock could cause ghost shifts. New cable required perhaps?

chunkypaul
    Free Member

So, button pressed and push'd van r on the way from tft.

i'll be interested to know how you get on crag and how long it'll take for tftuned to get you the pushed van r, i think their website did note some of the pushed products were out of stock (but that may have recently changed)

got to laugh at some of the shite some people write on these threads though, having owned two TNT turners in the past, I now own two oranges and prefer an orange (especially with a coil fitted) so maybe the haters should elaborate further on how I obviously can't ride properly… go on please..

crag – make sure you come back on with some feedback and piccies 🙂

Crag
    Free Member

TFT were as good as expected, ordered this morning followed by an email regarding weight and bike. Got a mail back within the hour saying it would be shipped tomorrow so push kits must be back in stock.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Should I put a coil shock on my 5 Spot?’ is closed to new replies.