• This topic has 14 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by GW.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Should i do it?
  • tomh
    Free Member

I know to some of you lot having only one bike seems like a normal sensible idea, but to other its sounds like hell. Now i have three bikes, and i know you can only ride one at a time. Now thinking do i really need all three? Im thinking of have one nice bike for everything and then selling everything off and having some money.

At the moment i have a 'hardcore hardtail', a light weight singlespeed and a jump bike. Now im thinking of just having a lightweight xc bike for everything, 100mm travel. My 'hardcore hardtail' has 100-140mm travel and i always have it on 100mm and cant really see anyneed for anything more than that? I love my singlespeed but would most likely have my one bike set as geared all summer and ss all winter so still have both. Also love to race xc, which the 'hardcore hardtail' cant really do, which again is why the need for a lightweight xc bike.

Help 😯

alanf
    Free Member

How many pairs of shoes do you own?
    You can only wear one pair at a time…..

oldgit
    Free Member

That's all I own, or will own shortly.

I'm old, like to race, dont do gnarl and my local patch is foresty/Chilterny/Cotswoldy 100mm race hardtails or short travel sussers are ideal.
    Fed up with keeping bikes for 1% of my riding.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Keeping bikes takes no "doing" – and you never know when you might need them.

Olly
    Free Member

3 is the magic number.

1) shortish travel FS for all day rides.

2) burley hard tail, for blasts.

3) and a singlespeed for commuting, and riding around in the mud in the week.

I have spoken, make it so.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Fed up with keeping bikes for 1% of my riding.

Yes that does seem rather expensive.
    Mountain bikes should be versatile!

Trekster

Down to 1 usable, Blue Pig.

May decide to sell fs in new year, see how it goes.

Got road bike for comute

Got another old fs that needs tlc but may fetch a £or2 on e-bay, Trek Y22 anyone?

Got acouple of old ex Center Parcs Dawes to do up, maybe SS for winter.

Need a clearout, my NY resolution(again)

Olly
    Free Member

once ive finished my Summer Season, and got the singlspeed as close to "just so" as i can, im gonna give away all the extra crap ive got i reckon.

tommid
    Free Member

Do it Tom. One nice bike to rule them all. Or should I say one nice Singlespeed.

My ankle is almost better now so next time your back home let me know and we can go for a ride.

Tom

Dickyboy

Trying to wean myself down to two…
    1 x commuter / pub bike
    1 x XC racer with spare road wheels
    ….. but still have three bikes & just building 4th doh!

bigyinn
    Free Member

I reckon Olly has it spot on.
    Just need to get a burly hardtail and im there!

GW
    Free Member

build a 4X hardtail (but with a double chainset) – a long seatpost and a change of tyres and you can race XC on it. oh.. and don't use the shifters if you miss the singlespeed. 😉

tomh
    Free Member

Hmmm a 4x bike to race xc on? Maybe not.

Good to here you ankle is nearly better Tom, ill be back at xmas so, will deffo have to go for a ride.

Maybe one super bike 😀

Ill get back down to one and the will slowly start creeping back 🙄

zaskar
    Free Member

I have 4 bikes in the house but I could get by on 2 mtb and roadbike.

More choice but more clutter/servicing-more cost.

If I lived even closer to the city centre I would sell my commuter and if it was sunny and warm I wouldn't need my winter roadbike.

Get married and all the bikes are gone!

GW
    Free Member

do you realise 4X hardtails are light, designed for 80-100mm forks and the majority have reasonably steep angles? Granted it wouldn't be ideal but with a lightweight build I'd happily ride one for the odd 2hr XC race. (infact, I have) but then I'm not capable of winning any XC races and would be doing them purely for fun.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Should i do it?’ is closed to new replies.