Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Short term elation but longer term disappointment!
  • shortcut

It occurred to me yesterday as I was sorting out some issues in my bike that some kit that was initially brilliant has lost some of its shine and become disappointing.

So what has been good for you and gradually got to be disappointing?

Mine are: IceTech rotors – these were great and lovely for about 3,000 miles and now have started to wear out – so you can see pits where the steel is not there anymore and the aluminium is visible – next step is going to be an accident I am sure. In contrast I have never had issues with standard steel or hope floating rotors.

CrossMax ST – brilliant, light, responsive. Now they creak and occasionally the pick up slips when I go to pedal. That’s after about 1500 miles. Going back under warranty.

What are your long term disappointments in the spirit of consumer research?

mattbee

Most new and expensive purchases tbh. Once the shiny new bit of kit becomes a bit dirty and scratched, it suddenly becomes a source of doubt as to whether that was the best place to spend the cash. Leads to buying something else shiny and expensive, and continuing the experience in a loop of exitement and remorse….

Stevelol
    Free Member

CCDB…. amazing shock one set up and in confident I’ll never have one better, but it was very expensive, heavy and overkill for my casual mincing!

Any ‘waterproof’ jacket.

I’ll be buggered if I can ever get em waterproof again after the first wash. Read Endura Stealth.

GolfChick
    Free Member

My Shimano XT brakes, had hope previously and although I never ‘raved’ about them they worked without maintenance etc for ages and always just worked. Tried out some xt brakes and was blown away with power so rushed out and bought some. From then on I now spend every other week it seems trying to get them working as good due to stuck pistons. Tried all the solutions and think they probably need sending off under warranty but I reckon that’ll take atleast two weeks and I ride every week atleast three times a week and so far I’ve not sacrificed that to send them off, have a c2c coming very soon with no time to send them off and wait so face riding all of that with a practically none working front brake!

nedrapier

next step is going to be an accident I am sure.

Or new rotors? Just a thought…

theotherjonv

Rental chainring. Might be unfair, ‘cos I sort of expected it – but have always run deore steel middles. Then I went 1*10, went for a dedicated single 10 SPD specific chainring, and while it was lovely and light when fitted, it has worn out in half the time (being generous) and cost 3x as much = 6x less vfm.

Oddly, have opted to replace it with a RF thick-thin one for even more cost, but that is a conscious decision to fix chain retention issues. If it doesn’t – does anyone make steel 10spd rings?

trail_rat
    Free Member

rohloff.

borrowed one , it felt good to ride with – on my own.

went group riding with it (same hub as i bought the bike i borrowed a couple months later) and went from my normal near the front end of the pack to the back of the pack of riders.

took hub out and went SS for the next ride and im back at the front.

_tom_
    Free Member

BMX. Loved it when I first got back on a 20″ after years riding 26″ only but I can’t ride it for shit any more, I’m too used to my big wheels and stability. It’s still fun but I desperately want to sell it to pay for mtb stuff and I can’t get rid!

Northwind

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR – Member

Any ‘waterproof’ jacket.

I’ll be buggered if I can ever get em waterproof again after the first wash. Read Endura Stealth.

My Altura Attack’s still waterproof after several years of use and washing along with all my other kit, never been reproofed. Well, it does leak through the holes I’ve torn in it 😆 Only trouble is it’s too hot to be worn for most of the year.

Hmmmmm. With me it’s usually tyres. These are amazing! Best tyre ever! Brilliant! So much better than the old tyres! Then you crash, through your own stupidity, and suddenly WORST TYRES EVARS.

BlobOnAStick

I’m really hoping someone’s going to say their 29er…..please?

mattjg
    Free Member

Short term elation but longer term disappointment!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_condition

mattjg
    Free Member

I’m really hoping someone’s going to say their 29er…..please?

Got 2, HTs, they’re keepers.

freeagent
    Free Member

Formula brakes – not convinced they are actually any better than Deore/XT

epicyclo

Disk brakes. Wonderful when perfect.

Northwind

freeagent – Member

Formula brakes – not convinced they are actually any better than Deore/XT

Which ones? The R1s are lighter and the The Ones are (IMO) much more controlled and consistent… Don’t think they do anything else worth buying these days, RX is very ordinary and Deore and XT are very good.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Maxxis Beaver EXC’s, initially thought they’d be a most excellent winter tyre, turned out after the second ride on them that they have about as much puncture protection as a damp tissue 🙄

Junkyard
    Free Member

External bottom brackets though Hope ones and XTR cranks help with longevity but there is a [ considerable] price penalty with that approach and it doe snot feel any stiffer than my Deore Square taper on my SS

If components annoy me I sell them but I am not a serial swapper of parts or bikes tbh

New bike frame every 10 years or so and parts as they break

bigyinn
    Free Member

Bitterly disappointed with my Middleburn RS3 cranks. Lovely lovely things to look at, but the square tapers just weren’t strong enough, bottomed out on the axle and the metal just too soft IMO. One of the arms cracked around the axle and that was that. Possibly my fault for overtightening them, but did the same with my Deore DX cranks (the RS3s were supposed to replace them due to a stripped extractor tool thread, subsequently sorted with a Park Crank tool) and they lasted around 16 years!
    Have run Shimano cranks ever since and they’ve been fine.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Junkyard – lazarus

External bottom brackets though Hope ones and XTR cranks help with longevity
    I don’t understand how a crank arm can help with BB longevity. Unless I’ve misunderstood you?

Klunk
    Free Member

interesting no tyres yet ! 😕

plyphon
    Free Member

e13 Turbocharger – At first it looks nice and bling and shiny, then literally as soon as it’s muddy and dusty “£30 quid for a bit of molded plastic?!”:

If I wasn’t particular flush that month I would of never spent that much, and would never spend that much again.

I guess it still works 100% but ya know, price is a joke.

franksinatra

Short term elation but longer term disappointment

potentially Assumedidentiti’s Most Incredible Woman in the World……

Junkyard
    Free Member

they tension up in a better way – they have a ring that adjusts to fit flush with the BB so the load on the bearings is better
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i5MG16uJQ8

from 2 min 20 secs on that video

I may be falling for marketing guff though 😳

All I know is that they have lasted longer than any other External BB I have when I switched to XTR cranks.

Northwind

I’m going to take that as “XTR is harder to overtorque” tbh

Junkyard
    Free Member

May indeed be a fair comment

bigyinn
    Free Member

Ok, thats a fair comment. I’d forgotten the preload adjustment on XTRs was different.

benji
    Free Member

BB30, the bearing life seems very short, but I did have a royce unit before that outlived the bike it was in.

T666DOM

2008 Crossmax SX wheelset, looked great, stiff, light but the nylon bushing in the freehub was total garbage and expensive to replace. Sold them for a set of Hope Pro II on Flow rims and never looked back.

slimsi
    Free Member

Spank Spike Pedals – look great and feel great untill the bearings wear out every 6 weeks!

They start clunking and squealing, apparently they are designed to wear out to stop the pedal spinning when doing tricks!

I dont do tricks…should have bought Hope F20’s in fact I collect them tonight!

njee20
    Free Member

Xpedo Ti/Ti pedals, fell apart in an absurdly short space of time for something so spendy.

wrecker
    Free Member

interesting no tyres yet !

Hans Dampf. Felt great for a while, but wore out really quickly (compared to RQs). The side knobs will tear off with a little more use and they have far more holes in than my RQs ever had.

Cheezpleez

At first it looks nice and bling and shiny, then literally as soon as it’s muddy and dusty…

… goes for any piece of MTB kit.

Or indeed any of the shiny stuff that we spend our lives slaving away in meaningless jobs to earn money to buy.

Man.

shortcut

OH – I need to add Schwalbe Racing Ralph tyres to the list. They are brilliant until you realise they fall apart and puncture really easily.

mangatank
    Free Member

Nothing in mountain biking is ever perfect (or anywhere near), regardless of how much you gush about how it is on the forums.

tinkertaylor1981
    Free Member

Joplin 4.

One wet ride and it’s useless.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Nothing in mountain biking is ever perfect (or anywhere near), regardless of how much you gush about how it is on the forums.

Pretty sure your cynicism is perfect 😉

darrell
    Free Member

anything from Avid

doof_doof
    Free Member

Eggbeaters – poor longevity
    Sram rear mechs – bend easily and crap pulleys
    KCNC seatpost – broken ti bolt, bent post.
    Fox Float 36 – could never get it to feel like a 160mm fork should

br
    Free Member

Mine are: IceTech rotors – these were great and lovely for about 3,000 miles and now have started to wear out – so you can see pits where the steel is not there anymore and the aluminium is visible – next step is going to be an accident I am sure. In contrast I have never had issues with standard steel or hope floating rotors.

Eh? So other rotors never wear out? It’s not hard, either weigh them or measure them – replace once worn, just like you would your cars’.

I recently replaced a rear Avid disc, it had worn to 2/3 width and lost nearly 30g.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Short term elation but longer term disappointment!’ is closed to new replies.