Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • 456 Evo Ti or Cotic Solaris?
  • geordiepaul
    Free Member

These are the only two frame I really fancy at the moment. Might seem a strange question as they’re completely different and not just the fact that one has clown wheels!
    They’re both the right length for me at >24″ VTT. I’m still not convinced by the whole 29er thing though most on here would say otherwise. Always wanted a Ti frame. For general trail riding and in the mud during the winter which is the better buy? I’ve had a BFe which I never got on with so I’ve ruled out a Soul.

Alex

I had a c456 and swapped it for a Solaris. The c456 was a fun bike but I prefer the Solaris by some distance. It’s a really nice handling bike that climbs exceptionally well and descends way better than it should with a 100mm fork on it. Can’t comment on a Ti EVO, but I was very skeptical about 29ers until I rode the Solaris. Don’t worry about the wheels, it’s just a great riding bike. With 2×9, there’s not a huge amount of tyre clearance if you run big tyres (I had Hans D 2.35s on there for a bit) but with 2.2 Race Kings it’s more than fine.

Long TT suited me on both. I had an old Sold and never really got on with it either.

Cotic Solaris by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

geordiepaul
    Free Member

What size is your Solaris?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Alex

Medium

geetee1972
    Free Member

Check out the Stanton Ti Slackline.

geordiepaul
    Free Member

Looked at the Stanton but it’s similar to the Soul in geometry and too short for me. Solaris is a nice looking bike even with those wheels.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Have you looked at Sanderson Cycles? I think they make long frames.

sv

How is the Stanton like a Soul?

evilsovereign
    Free Member

the ti 456, is lush. I ride a c456, and my mate has just built up the ti evo 456. riding the same section of trail on both bikes, you can feel the difference. whilst I love the lightweight of my carbon, and its outright speed on this section, the feel of the ti was something else. it felt like being on a pocket of air, floating down the trail. there was no trail buzz, just very smooth. seriously consider a ti 456, as they are offering a 10 year warranty on them as well.

jonnyrockymountain

My ti456 superb, best riding bike I’ve ever had as above really, and they look something else as well.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

I demo’d a Soul (on familiar Peak trails) and didn’t gel with it. Although the Large frame was a good fit at the time it was the first HT I’d ridden in 5 years. So maybe this had something to do with it.

I bought and built a Brodie Ti Holeshot instead but within months I realised this was not the bike for me. The frame felt too small (even though the numbers were similar) and although stupidly lightweight I found the ride a little harsh.

I then demo’d a Solaris (in the Peaks again) and again, although the fit was fine I wasn’t quite sold on the big wheels. I had been riding for a couple of hours previously and this was my first ride on a 29er so it felt quite alien.

6 months later I decided to take a punt and build a Solaris (with the spares and proceeds from the Brodie) as my second bike. Which was a great decision.

It’s light. It climbs well. It’s surprisingly agile. It rolls and corners well and picks up serious speed on the descents. All the usual things you hear about 29ers.

In fact due to the miserable summer last year my new FS bike purchased in June was demoted to the garage last September and it’s not really got a look in since.

The Solaris is my go-to-bike. You can munch the miles on it or drop the saddle and it becomes a bit of a hooligan. Very versatile. It has short rear stays and decent angles so it rides really well and makes a great trail bike.

Large. 100mm forks. 2×10. 750mm bars. Pro II/ Arch EX wheels with 2.2 Ardents. I’ve just purchased a Bionicon chain guide to keep the chain in check as it gets spat off at speed. To be honest it could really benefit from a reverb too.

Out of the two bikes I own, if I had to choose one, the FS would go, the Solaris is that impressive. I really see the benefit in having a 29er HT with good all-round trail credentials over a 26″ HT.

IMHO I’d say the Solaris is a far, far better bike than the Soul.

Obviously I’ve not ridden a 456 Evo Ti so can’t comment 🙂

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I used to have a ti 456(lynskey). It was a great bike and I sometimes still miss it but I traded it for a solaris As my gateway to 29ers. It’s not as light as the ti 456, but other wise I prefer it most of the time.

geordiepaul
    Free Member

That Solaris is lovely in green….
    I’d need a 20″ 456 which looks like a bit of a gate in that size….I am being swayed by the Cotic..pity they’re out of stock at the moment.

BillOddie

You’d be daft to drop a fair chunk of money on a 26in frame at moment…

mangatank
    Free Member

I’ve been riding the Ti 456 Evo for a few months now. The picture shows it’s current build, set up for big climbs and fast descents.

It’s one of those bikes that’s a pleasure to ride on any surface. It’s actually a really nice road bike because of the Ti frame. It’s excellent on XC routes and exceptionally good on climbs, outperforming any of my previous frames (including my 2007 Scandal, weirdly).

So as a general do-it-all bike, the Ti456E is ideal. It’s only when you really push it that the frame reveals it’s true colours. I’ve blasted it through boulder fields and berms at Glentress for weeks now, and I’ve yet to find the limit of the frame’s ability. It’s very nimble and above all, planted on the trail surface. I’m hitting rough stuff at a higher speed and with greater success than on my full susser. In fact, I catch and pass full sussers on a regular basis on this frame. I’m also overtaking all comers on the climbs too. I’m fit, but I’m not blessed with much in the way of rad skills, so I’m giving the credit to the frame’s design.

With regards to the ‘magic of Ti’, I find the frame to be very comfortable, with some of the zing of steel, but not the same level of sparkle. It’s light though, and performs better the faster and harder it’s pushed I’d say.

br
    Free Member

I’d need a 20″ 456 which looks like a bit of a gate in that size….I am being swayed by the Cotic..pity they’re out of stock at the moment.

This is a 20″ 456Ti Lynskey.

Not too much of a gate, and still plenty of seatpost.

nickc

Mangatank, what’s the head angle like on just regular riding about? Notice it particularly much?

MadPierre

Brodie Holeshot Ti? – like the on-one but much nicer (I am biased)

mangatank
    Free Member

Mangatank, what’s the head angle like on just regular riding about? Notice it particularly much?

looks really slack doesn’t it? In fact the entire bike looks pretty ‘extreme’:sort of jacked up and ramped back. It’s an absolute pleasure to ride anywhere though.

I can drop the forks to 110mmm for flat surfaces and climbs, but even when set to 140mm on climbs, the bike feels great. The most striking feature of the frame is how stable it feels in difficult conditions. It has that famous ‘in the bike’ vibe going on. Despite that rock-solid stability, it’s very nimble; it’s as sharp as a pin in the curves.

Clever bloke that Brant.

metalheart
    Free Member

I have nothing to add to the discussion but in case you wanted to know what green with black forks looked like….

Finished (and post ride) by Metalheart-UK, on Flickr

If you follow the link there are more shots.

Fwiw, I had a Ti itch for many’s a year and scratched it with a Soda. Which, if I’m being honest, in my heart of hearts I didn’t really get on with (but it was pretty). I rode it back to back with the Solaris over a 4 hour ride and decided I much preferred the latter. So I sold the soda…

Never ridden an on-one so can’t comment on that.

nickc

looks really slack doesn’t it?

Just a bit!! 😆

Trying to find a replacement for my ageing Cham, and this is another to add to the pile of poss replacements, thanks for the great write-up and replies

mangatank
    Free Member

It was the Ti456 Evo or this stunner:

Ritchey 29er

The ride experience I get from the T456E feels like that shown in the video…without the amazing level of skill obviously.

metalheart
    Free Member

OP: Cotic have just posted a photo of a complete build on Flickr this am, maybe they are back in stock?

jonnyrockymountain

Ti nice

Brake-neck
    Free Member

Or in blue…..

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘456 Evo Ti or Cotic Solaris?’ is closed to new replies.