Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Short stem/large bike question….
  • Hicksy
    Free Member

Possibly a stoopid question, but what are peoples thought’s on stem length on larger bikes? Being a lanky git I ride 21″ (26″ wheel) bikes. I’m currently running 80 and 90mm stems with 740-760mm bars. Have been thinking about trying a 60mm stem just to see what all the fuss is about.

Now, to my mind the longer the head tube and therefore steerer tube the further behind the front axle the bars will be. Is this an issue or am I over thinking things?

Thanks.

rotary
    Free Member

i would’nt say you were over thinking no, the slightest changes to your bike can make a big difference ! i would by a second hand 60mm or even 50mm/40mm and just try em out ! ya never know you might love a 40mm stem.

Hicksy
    Free Member

Thanks Rotary – I think I’ll just buy a cheapy and give it a go.

takisawa2

Soomewhat shorter than you but intresting the difference stem length makes. On 26″ wheels I always went for 90mm & 660mm low-rise bar. Just felt right for me. When I swapped to 29″ wheels I tried the same 90mm stem & bars at first, but felt a bit stretched, so swapped to 70mm stem. Still not quite right so tried a 50mm stem & 710mm flat bar, & this feels perfect. Has livened up the steering but bike has retained the nice stable feel & slight damping effect of the bigger wheel.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Short stem/large bike question….’ is closed to new replies.