Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Shock reducer removal
  • turnercraig
    Free Member

I'm going to give my Fox RP23 an aircan service.

Because the reducers fitted to the shock are wider than the diameter of the aircan I need to remove them to remove the aircan.

What's the best way to do this without damaging them so I can refit them once I've given the shock an aircan service?

I'm thinking pliers with tape wrapped round them at the moment, any other suggestions.

khani
    Free Member

tape and vice-twist and pull
    very easy to chew them up with pliers

turnercraig
    Free Member

Ok, thanks.

I've just been fiddling and have noticed a bit of play in the rear suspension.

I've checked all the bolts on the linkages aren't loose, and the bearings in my frame (2009 Giant Tracncex) where only changed about a month ago.

I'm 95% sure it's the shock bushings.

Is it best to just order a new kit with the reducers and all or just replace the bushings themselves and use the old reducers?

khani
    Free Member

the reducers should be fine, the bushing is designed to wear first,

turnercraig
    Free Member

Thats what I thought.

I'm glad too because I've ordered a couple off Ebay for under £3.

The whole mount kit is more like £20, wouldn't be happy shelling out that much if it happens regularly.

khani
    Free Member

you can get a nice little tool for about a tenner for pressing them in and out on ebay too, i got one and it works a treat, much easier than using a vice and sockets

turnercraig
    Free Member

Ye thanks for that.

I actually ordered one yestarday at the same time as the bushings

Looks like it will be well worth the money especially if it happens regularly.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Shock reducer removal’ is closed to new replies.